Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

TC88: working on the Cam Chest for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 07:01 PM
GreyBeardBiker
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

djl - great idea except I do not have much oil to work with. The owner had drained the engine oil and swapped out the oil filter before he brought me the bike. A small amount of oil was in the Cam chest but I wiped that up first day I pulled the Cam plate off.
Definitely going to make a note about Blackstone, as it will be very useful for testing what is going on inside of other engines.
I was thinking when I button the bike up, of using some Dino Oil for first start up, then doing an oil change after it warms up.

It's a very interesting project: I'm doing so many new things and learning along the way as well as building up my set of shop tools.

Old 07-26-2024, 07:31 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

To me the pump looks fine.. I suspect that any metal shavings fell to the bottom of the cam case and weren't sucked up by the pump. If they were, they were small enough to not to any damage.

Personally in cases like this there should be considerable particulate matter that would be identifiable on the drain plug.. Not sure what value Blackstone would provide.. IMO BS is better at identifying accelerated engine wear in motors due to improper oil use..

Here is a video on such an example..

The following users liked this post:
Rusty Springs (07-27-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 09:03 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
To me the pump looks fine.. I suspect that any metal shavings fell to the bottom of the cam case and weren't sucked up by the pump. If they were, they were small enough to not to any damage.

Personally in cases like this there should be considerable particulate matter that would be identifiable on the drain plug.. Not sure what value Blackstone would provide.. IMO BS is better at identifying accelerated engine wear in motors due to improper oil use..
Max, agree. However, if the OP is considering pulling the pan, a Blackstone report will show if there is metal, etc. is traveling in the oil, or not. A good report should give the OP the confidence to pass on the oil pan R/R and also provide the owner with the information you make reference to. I have relied on a BS report twice over the years to make that call.

Old 07-26-2024, 11:13 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Max, agree. However, if the OP is considering pulling the pan, a Blackstone report will show if there is metal, etc. is traveling in the oil, or not. A good report should give the OP the confidence to pass on the oil pan R/R and also provide the owner with the information you make reference to. I have relied on a BS report twice over the years to make that call.
So you are saying that twice BS found issues with builds you had?

Old 07-27-2024, 06:32 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,411 Likes on 3,619 Posts

I would like to see a picture of the outer side of the cam plate where the pinion shaft rides.. To much pinion run-out will wear away at the plate and create a lip in the housing..
The wear pattern on the pinion shaft does indicate some run-out .. Have you measured the run-out??
Also you still have not mentioned the year..

Old 07-27-2024, 08:03 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I would like to see a picture of the outer side of the cam plate where the pinion shaft rides.. To much pinion run-out will wear away at the plate and create a lip in the housing..
The wear pattern on the pinion shaft does indicate some run-out .. Have you measured the run-out??
Also you still have not mentioned the year..
The pic shows more of a bushing alignment problem than runout.. If it were runout, the marks would only be on one part of the diameter..

Old 07-27-2024, 08:04 AM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 541 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
A good report needs a good sample and it doesn't look like he can start the engine.

The following users liked this post:
Fat11Lo (07-29-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 08:46 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So you are saying that twice BS found issues with builds you had?
No, just the opposite. I am looking for the report but haven't found it; if/when I do, I will post it.

Old 07-27-2024, 08:50 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs
A good report needs a good sample and it doesn't look like he can start the engine.
Understood, no oil, no sample, no report but the suggestion stands. Once the OP completes the cam chest work, he can start the motor and collect a sample before changing oil and filter.

Old 07-27-2024, 08:54 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,781 Posts

I ran my oil pump for 90k. I replaced with a fueling, non race model. Dennis Kirk does have some cheap tawain stuff, as you have seen, and it s probably fine. But I like name brand for some stuff. I am still running the stock cam plate.

Get the tools for inner and outer cam bearings.

If the cam plate is bad, I'd probably go upgrade retro fit hydraulic tensioners. If good might consider the cyro tensioner pads. I went gear on mine, none of these were available then. 2004 does not have timken bearing. Timkens were not always in spec for run out either.

Quick Reply: TC88: working on the Cam Chest for the first time