Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

TC88 After the tensioners self distruct, now what ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I j

@Vickersguy For future reference, you will get better information if you start a thread and keep it going, even if the subject drifts a bit from the orignal title. O.
While I agree, it depends on the mod, and there personal , ahh perspective.

Old 05-24-2024, 05:35 AM
Vickersguy
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

All valid comments.
I think in shorthand when I get into a subject, and that obfuscates things. I wrote a detailed account last night. Used paragraphs 'n everthin.
I spent two hours. I proofread it for clarity repeated times. I made sure the narrative evolved in a logical path. I made sure I kept all the relevant details in and skipped unnecessary information. Well, that's not exactly true. I did express my vision of the previous owner spending all eternity in the hell with people that put eyelashes on their car headlights. On second thought, I realized he'd probably feel right at home. I clicked on the "post quick reply"'.

Fxxxt

Gone. Just like the first set of tires I ordered that vanished into the Bermuda Triangle, ( Just so you guys are up-to-speed here, the Bermuda Triangle has recently been renamed the "UPS Fayette Distribution Facility". ) It took a month to sort that out. I swear this bike is cursed.

I will resubmit that information to Y'all when I have some time tonight. I value insightful input. Even prissy snark from Dan89flstcmqxvz whatever. He had a valid point.

Old 05-24-2024, 06:33 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Simply hitting return helps a lot.

The other thing I think that helps is list directly what is going on. Some people will tell a whole story, it was beautiful day I just did this that and that. I think at the bottom you should list year model, and just the facts. Often I see someone reply to something wrong, because they didn't see something buried in the text. I see these mostly on no start threads. So not all aimed at you.

Again I would do a search on forums and see if you can focus on stuff 15-20 years ago. Which is the cool thing about the internet it is there forever. The new style tensioners came out in 2007. So less and less people have seen it now. I remember discussion 20 years ago about this, some flush, some take apart, I don't remember what the consensus was

I'd be tempted to pull top end, so I could run kerosene or such through it and flush bottom end. Lots of work, and if bottom end is bed you will be pulling apart again. Again I have never done this, so would be great to find some threads from people who did.

Maybe someone else would say, the oil circulating path is ______, and you don't need to do that. Just clean chect and put new pump in.

The following users liked this post:
kemdds (06-30-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 06:37 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Here are the three options I see, not saying what to do, or saying I am right.

1. Clean cam chest up, put new pump in. Worse case there is still debris and pump is ruined.
2. pull top end, run, flush bottom end. Worse case, bottom end is bad, and you did that for nothing.
3. you pull engine, and inspect bottom end. Lots of work in the summer. Not as hard as people think though. But takes some time.

Myself I would probably do first or second, and see what happens. But again, would be nice to find some old threads on this.

Old 05-24-2024, 04:19 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,426 Likes on 5,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Vickersguy
I will resubmit that information to Y'all when I have some time tonight. I value insightful input. Even prissy snark from Dan89flstcmqxvz whatever. He had a valid point.
@Vickersguy

It`s Dan89FLSTC (In case you don`t know, that is the designation for a 1989 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic, which I have owned since new).

My comment was not prissy or snark.

You posted a wall of text and I politely asked you to use paragraphs.

You are the one who came here looking for help.

I was just trying to help, I`m not being the grammar police, I couldn`t care less about how you post, just that you make it readable. My eyes are 69 years old, and I don`t like to attempt reading run on sentences.

Good luck, vickersguy (or whatever).

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-24-2024 at 04:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
Harley1004 (05-27-2024), heybaylor (08-13-2024), Uncle Larry (05-25-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 09:51 PM
Vickersguy
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had a decide. Gonna clean up the issues in the cam chest. Ditch the INA bearings, install a new oil pump and clean up the pressure relief piston/valve.
I'm old, probably only put on 800 miles a year anyway. I don't really have the concern I would have were I to take it across the country. It will hold up fine once I get some oil pressure back. It's showing some wear but given my purposes, nothing to break a sweat over. Sure is easy to work on. I miss the potato-potsto sound of the shovel head idle, but not enough to put on a carb. Thanks for the input, all a ya !

Gordo-uk (06-04-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 06:58 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

How did you determine the oil pump was not aligned correctly? Unless folks are changing cams and doing upgrades, it is not uncommon to just change the tensioners and leave the oil pump. There is a different spring you could use in the plate for higher oil pressure. Just a couple rambling thoughts as I read your post.

Even though you have adjustables, I’d go down through the top and freshen things up there like breather baffles, gaskets and drill the oil return holes for better return, rockouts, etc. Stock rods don’t need fiddling with, but folks are quick to cut to avoid going through the top, unless of course cams require the change.

Last edited by dawg; 05-25-2024 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:30 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,916 Likes on 19,368 Posts

Originally Posted by TC88100th
useless comment was useless
The suggestion was spot on and your comment was the one that wasn't unnecessary ... BTW welcome to the Forum :<(

TexasScooterTrash (06-09-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 07:34 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,916 Likes on 19,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Vickersguy
All valid comments.
I think in shorthand when I get into a subject, and that obfuscates things. I wrote a detailed account last night. Used paragraphs 'n everthin.
I spent two hours. I proofread it for clarity repeated times. I made sure the narrative evolved in a logical path. I made sure I kept all the relevant details in and skipped unnecessary information. Well, that's not exactly true. I did express my vision of the previous owner spending all eternity in the hell with people that put eyelashes on their car headlights. On second thought, I realized he'd probably feel right at home. I clicked on the "post quick reply"'.

Fxxxt

Gone. Just like the first set of tires I ordered that vanished into the Bermuda Triangle, ( Just so you guys are up-to-speed here, the Bermuda Triangle has recently been renamed the "UPS Fayette Distribution Facility". ) It took a month to sort that out. I swear this bike is cursed.

Dan is much smarter than the average guy on this Forum ... You be wise to follow his suggestions

The following 4 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
86glider (05-28-2024), Fat11Lo (05-28-2024), Harley1004 (05-27-2024), MikeBel (05-27-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 08:08 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
How did you determine the oil pump was not aligned correctly? Unless folks are changing cams and doing upgrades, it is not uncommon to just change the tensioners and leave the oil pump. There is a different spring you could use in the plate for higher oil pressure. Just a couple rambling thoughts as I read your post.

Even though you have adjustables, I’d go down through the top and freshen things up there like breather baffles, gaskets and drill the oil return holes for better return, rockouts, etc. Stock rods don’t need fiddling with, but folks are quick to cut to avoid going through the top, unless of course cams require the change.
Hew says he does 800 miles year, I might just do the quickest thing too.

Worse case he has to buy a new pump. Though they are not cheap.

I do agree that the downside of adjsutables is you don't address rest of engine. When I pull one engine apart at 70, one breather was was mush, where did it go? While I have read about drilling hole out, i have not.

Curioius for me own educatiojn, how he knew it was misaligned. I used the pins and rotate engine while tightening

Normally I am in favor of older bikes replacing gaskets and such. But it is also summer, unless he plans on paying someone, its time to ride.

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Dan is much smarter than the average guy on this Forum ... You be wise to follow his suggestions
Yes I agree with the old cranky guy in this case. Hit return a few times. Though I have never praised him for his literary prowess.

Last edited by Rounders; 05-25-2024 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: TC88 After the tensioners self distruct, now what ?