Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Lifter travel limiters

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 10:46 PM
Pop-pop2
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Lifter travel limiters

Ok, please don't beat me up too much. I know that they limit travel, but is it minimum or maximum travel ? I always thought the oil gave you maximum travel when they pumped up.
I have Johnson Hy-lifts, but one is collapsed. Just going to get a set of four, and replace them all. I will save the old ones. The current ones do not have travel limiters.

Tia,
Pop
P.S. cringes as I post it.

Old 03-18-2024, 05:26 AM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,553 Likes on 839 Posts

Why do you feel you need limiters?

Old 03-18-2024, 05:59 AM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 545 Likes on 312 Posts

They're spacers that limit how far the lifter can bleed down. The plunger the pushrod sits against will only able to go down about half the distance as a non limited lifter. Approximately .200" of travel without limiters and .100" with limiters. The maximum uncompressed height will stay the same.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rusty Springs:
Ohio HD (03-18-2024), pgreer (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 02:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Not an expert on travel limited lifters but, after considering running them and doing some research I have learned that most that run travel limited lifters do so because they allow solid like performance at high rpm, hydraulic like performance at idle, minimal bleed down, less pump up, easier starting since a bled off lifter will not open the valve completely. Adjusting travel limited lifters can be tricky. IMHO standard quality hydraulic lifters are the best applicatiion for the street. Unless the OP plans to run past 6K rpms, stick with regular hydraulic lifters.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:34 PM
Ohio HD
Road Master
Received 715 Likes on 399 Posts

I've used travel limiters for several years, and I like them. Their purpose is to keep the piston in the lifter from bleeding down (dropping down) once the bike is shut off and sits. This primarily helps you at cold startup, allowing the valves to open when they should, thus reducing possible kickback and slow starting that a collapse lifter can cause.

There can be some benefit at high RPM when running really heavy valve spring pressures. This is more indicative of a motor built for racing.

For those that don't know, you must use adjustable pushrods with travel limiters. There is no downside to using them. And in reality makes adjusting the valves very simple. Take all play out of the pushrod, collapsing the lifter completely. Then from that bottom position I adjust them two wrench flats away from the bottom. I know that sounds tight, but as the motor warms up and expands, this gap increases with part expansion.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ohio HD:
hattitude (03-23-2024), Lonewolf176 (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 02:56 PM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 369 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Not an expert on travel limited lifters but, after considering running them and doing some research I have learned that most that run travel limited lifters do so because they allow solid like performance at high rpm, hydraulic like performance at idle, minimal bleed down, less pump up, easier starting since a bled off lifter will not open the valve completely. Adjusting travel limited lifters can be tricky. IMHO standard quality hydraulic lifters are the best applicatiion for the street. Unless the OP plans to run past 6K rpms, stick with regular hydraulic lifters.
Does this mean that on high rpms the valves are not opened completely? I mean if the lifter compress enough to become solid it will be as tall as it is when it is bled off.

Im probably missing something here, I don't fully understand the travel limiters function.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:39 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 636 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by SwedishMeatball
Does this mean that on high rpms the valves are not opened completely? I mean if the lifter compress enough to become solid it will be as tall as it is when it is bled off.
No, if that was to happen, you could throw cam specs out the window

The following users liked this post:
djl (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 07:35 PM
Pop-pop2
Cruiser

Ok, sorry for not giving all the info. 03 rk with 103. CR-575 cams, S&S gear drives. It has johnson hy-lift lifters in it. I have one (1) that is collapsed. It was acting up last year, but came out of it after a few miles (first time out). This year it is acting up again (collapsed).
I was looking on wfo Larry's site and saw them with and without the limiters. That is the reason for the question.
I don't know if some of you would consider it built, but she is healthy for what she is.
Thanks,
Pop

Old 03-18-2024, 07:40 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Go with the WFO Larry lifters without travel limiters, but with the slow bleed down and pin oling option.

Paul

The following users liked this post:
djl (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 11:53 PM
Pop-pop2
Cruiser

Thanks to all who replied.
Pop

Quick Reply: Lifter travel limiters