Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

That darn bolt....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 07:12 PM
CameraMan
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

And so it goes!

I painstakingly cut the hose to fit the install. Pix below. I'm the kind of carpenter who measures 3 or 4 times and THEN cuts. Yup, I'm no pro. I'd rather cut too long than too short, as I can always make it shorter, but adding on more hose doesn't werk, LOL. Butt, it all fits. Care had to be taken to not create any kinks or too-tight bends that would restrict flow. I gently heated the hose at the cooler closest to the engine with my worklight to make it more supple.

These are slip-fit to measure for the braided lines for the permanent install.

Onward!

Ride safe!

The following 2 users liked this post by CameraMan:
07UltraGuy (03-12-2024), flh canuck (04-07-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 11:26 AM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Talking

Cameraman, I also just got done installing a Jagg oil cooler. I also found that the LOCNUT went in way too tight and I used more force than I was happy with. It seems that the LOCNUT is way too long than it needs to be. I was afraid I was going to crack something. Is this normal?

Last edited by cgmartine; 04-19-2024 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:30 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

I am praying that I did not cross thread the LOCKNUT, because after finishing the install, I now have a significant oil leak. It seems to be coming from between the oil filter mount on the engine and the large O-ring on the adapter body. It could be that the O-ring came off the groove, or that I crushed it during the install of the LOCNUT. I will have to remove the entire adapter body to find out the problem.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:55 AM
CameraMan
Advanced

I thought the LOCKNUT went on with more-than-necessary force, FOR ME. I also worried about cross-threading, but other posts seem to say that the red stuff (or even the factory stuff) does indeed create quite a bit of resistance.

I'm no expert, nor do I play one on TV, but it sounds to me like you may have lost the seal from the o-ring. I REALLY hope you didn't crack the body of the adapter or worse, damage the engine fitting. I reckon a careful removal to see what's what will have to happen. If it's just a question of re-seating the o-ring, you will have to thoroughly clean the LOCKNUT of the red stuff and re-apply some form of threadlocker. ALSO, clean out the hole into which it goes to get rid of any leftover stuff before reinserting.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. After some life adventures that have been going on here, I hope to finish my own install today. All I have to do is fasten the lines from the adapter to the cooler body, and finish my total purge oil change a la
. Sure hope *I* don't spring a leak.... A few more tweaks and I'm in the wind.

Old 04-21-2024, 02:46 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

You are right about the LOCNUT. It went in too tight (that sounds familiar), especially so for me, a girly man. I think I will remove all that red gunk from the LOCNUT and use my own blue LocTite. This time around, I will screw in the LOCNUT by itself, to make sure it bottoms out and that it goes in properly. The only question I have now is that in the instructions, in section #8, it states in part..."and the O-ring sealing side facing toward the engine..." What do they mean by "sealing side?" Both sides looked the same to me, so I will have to check it out carefully.

Last edited by cgmartine; 04-21-2024 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Error
Old 04-21-2024, 06:15 PM
CameraMan
Advanced

It means the gasket side, IIRC, i.e., the pipes for the oil lines point out, the gasket seals the adapter to the engine case. What engine are you installing this on?

Old 04-22-2024, 10:14 AM
cgmartine
Road Master

The engine is on a 2000 Harley-Davidson Springer, it is the original 88 twin cam motor.

Last edited by cgmartine; 04-22-2024 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:51 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

Update: I removed the entire assembly and carefully examined all pieces to ensure no damage had been done. Everything was perfect, including the large O-ring. The dummy that I am, I made a mental note that I needed to check the tiny plug at the bottom of the adapter body for tightness, well, that time came and went. After assembling everything back together, I started the engine and oil began leaking again. This time, I got down low and with a flash light and the engine on, I saw that the oil was coming out from around the tiny plug. I believe it was just finger tight. If my memory serves me right, which it does not, I never did tighten that plug to begin with. I think all I need to do now is loosen the adapter body and turn it to the right to allow me to access that plug, and all should be fine.

Last edited by cgmartine; 04-22-2024 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:56 AM
CameraMan
Advanced

LOL - it's always the last place you look. 8-)

I installed the oil lines. The rubber ones. I hoped to put the stainless ones on, but when I went to install them, they're still a wee bit too long. I'm so done with this project, I reverted to the rubber ones. I *could* take them to my friends at a certain auto parts store to cut them down again, but I just want to be done and ride the scoot. The stainless lines will wait for NEXT winter. Today I'm on the external breather project. The WX here is getting better all the time, and I'd love to ride this weekend.

Ride safe!

Old 04-24-2024, 05:08 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

Ok. I got my bike running great. No oil leaks. It was definitely the plug at the bottom of the adapter. I am also glad to put this episode behind me. It was aggravating and drove me nuts thinking of what I had done wrong and if I could not find anything wrong, what then; what could be the cause of the leak.

The following users liked this post:
CameraMan (04-25-2024)

Quick Reply: That darn bolt....