Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

That darn bolt....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 05:56 AM
Fritz Franz
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Grind the open face of the socket flush to the 'flats' to fully engage the nut.
Also try some heat (small butane pencil torch) to melt thread locker

Last edited by Fritz Franz; 03-04-2024 at 05:58 AM. Reason: additional thought
Old 03-04-2024, 07:19 PM
CameraMan
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
I made a few by facing off on a lathe. I've never seen a factory one. It would be a special.

What is the difference in that one you show you removed and the one in the oil cooler kit?
I seriously considered "modifying" my 7/8" socket, but I'm glad I didn't have to.

Here's a shot of the stock and the kit pieces side by side.

Here's two with the kit piece fitted in the adaptor.

You can see the kit piece protrudes from the adaptor a bit more than it appears the stock piece would. (Perspective makes the original look smaller in diameter, but it isn't. Ref the first pic.)

There's enough room in for the kit piece to fit.

I didn't get to it today, stuff happened, so I'll hit it up in the next few days.
Stay tuned!

Old 03-04-2024, 08:07 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,014 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Would it be possible to lay out the new pieces? It looks like Jag changed their oil cooler adapter.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:28 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

What was confusing on the YouTube and Jag PDF I was looking at. Only one kit came with the adapter. Obviously YouTube and PDF I was looking at are old . They show and say on a Harley fit as is. But obviously it's designed now is much thicker.

J , you need to do a YouTube for them.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-04-2024 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:37 AM
CameraMan
Advanced

"For them"? IDK... LOL - the directions seemed so straight forward. Before I bought the kit, of course I downloaded the instructions from their website. Do this, do that, etc. Most of the way, it has worked except for the difficulty *I* had removing the stock bolt. Other folks may not have had this problem. I think I'm a fairly decent shade tree mechanic, and follow directions well. Let's face it, this isn't heart surgery, although I know there are certain tricks of the trade I may not be privy to. But I'm learning all the time.

I've talked to their tech support, and they've been quite helpful answering specific questions. (Thanks, Marv!) It's a process, I'm relatively patient, and I figure I'll get it sorted out, soon, I hope, because riding season starts soon around here, and I'm pretty much healed up, so.... There's a couple other things I want to get done on the scoot; I don't lack things to do.

Updates may continue. Ride safe!

Old 03-10-2024, 05:52 PM
CameraMan
Advanced

Alrighty then.

I got the LOCKNUT and installed the adapter. Here's a view from the front. As instructed, I tightened it down "firmly" so the gasket was pressed against the housing, just as a filter would. The nut came with some red threadlocker pre-applied. I had to apply a fair amount of force to get it "firmly" in place, more than I would have liked, but that's what it took. The red stuff created quite an interference fit.

Here's a look from the side. The silver plate is where you screw the filter on. The three screws hold the plate on the adapter, and as suggested, I used a dab of blue locktite on them. The two pitons below the plate are where the oil lines are attached to go to the cooler.

Here's the oil lines attached to the cooler, heading to the adapter. I haven't cut the lines to fit yet, I ran out of steam this afternoon, so I'll try to get 'er done tomorrow between cardio therapy and band rehearsal. I'm just fitting them temporarily anyway because I have the braided steel lines for the permanent install, and I'll cut them using the rubber hoses as a pattern.

Now that I got "that darn bolt" situation taken care of (thanks again, Marv!!), things are progressing more smoothly. Uh oh, I hope I didn't just jinx myself.... We'll see tomorrow!

Ride safe!

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 08:38 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I like the updated design.. Much simpler than the old one.. Adapter don't have a thermostat but IMO if you put more than 30 miles on a bike you don't need one. HD always run too hot..

The only thing that bothers me is the gasket that seals against the motor filter mount. Seems to me that it would be better to simply use an O ring say 1/8 or 3/16 inch and let the housing bolt directly to the motor filter mount. Then it would have less chance of turning when removing the filter. I guess part of the problem is that the anodize makes the adapter surface slick so it can turn. There is likely a method to take care of that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
CameraMan (03-11-2024), Harley1004 (04-30-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 06:20 AM
CameraMan
Advanced

Max, IMHO, the thing is on there "firmly," and the filters aren't on there - if installed properly - quite so tight anyway. One turn max...? The thing comes with an "anti-rotation device" to be installed after putting on the adapter, but doesn't fit certain applications including mine as per CS.

Ima guessing removing a filter won't budge the thing. BUTT, if it does, I'll probably be here to mention it....

YMMV!

Goose_NC (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 08:07 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CameraMan
Max, IMHO, the thing is on there "firmly," and the filters aren't on there - if installed properly - quite so tight anyway. One turn max...? The thing comes with an "anti-rotation device" to be installed after putting on the adapter, but doesn't fit certain applications including mine as per CS.

Ima guessing removing a filter won't budge the thing. BUTT, if it does, I'll probably be here to mention it....

YMMV!

I've used 2 of the previous version with the thermostat. Both needed the anti rotation device but not right away. One of the problems with the earlier ones was that the screws for anti rotation were the same ones that held the 2 pieces together. You had to remove the anti rotation bracket to tighten the nut that held the unit to the motor filter housing. The new design doesn't have this issue. For me it's only 3/4 turn... Still the filters could stick and move the housing a little on removal.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
CameraMan (03-11-2024), djl (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 05:31 PM
CameraMan
Advanced

I hear you. I guess if it begins to rotate when I change the filter, I'll figure out something to wedge in there to stop it. Adapt and overcome!

Max Headflow (03-11-2024)

Quick Reply: That darn bolt....