Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Used Purchase: Dealer Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 05:17 PM
HooksNashville
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Used Purchase: Dealer Inspection

I have the paperwork all drawn up on my first Harley. 05 Deluxe with 27,000 mi. It's pretty much mint other than I found the ignition switch was shorting during the test ride. Supposedly one owner and well maintained. I asked the dealer to perform the standard recondition/safety inspection prior to me signing the papers. I had heard about the sound 88's having cam tensioner issues but I thought I would just inspect myself later. Now I'm second guessing and have asked the dealer to charge me for that inspection as well.

I guess my question is the following. HD has a great brand but given the results of the cam tensioner evaluation, I may or may not buy the bike. If there shredded I assume debris into the engine is likely and who knows when or if the thing blows up after purchase. Can I trust that if debris is present I would be told that or am I just wasting money.... IDK

The following users liked this post:
FLSTC-Dave (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 05:26 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,363 Likes on 5,501 Posts

2005 most dealers will not even work on it. Dealer inspection means they looked at it. Yep it is a Harley VIN i correct air in tires good to go.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:30 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 561 Likes on 392 Posts

Fair chance at 27,000 they are ok... but I would change them being that old while in there. Post a picture of the cam chest and tensioner to cut down on all the guessing what to do.

Scottyxbones (02-21-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 05:36 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,688 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Any chance of getting the original owner's phone number from them? If not, plan on opening it up.

Scottyxbones (02-21-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 05:36 PM
HooksNashville
Intermediate

@smitty901 Yeah when I asked for an inspection the GM refused. Then I said I'll pay for one. Im still not sure what all they check but hoping to talk to the tech in the am. Im now requested additional inspection on the cam tensioner at an additional cost I assume. IDK my first go around so not sure what to expect. If definitely seems they hesitant to put their hands on it. Thats probably normal as you seem to describe but it's not making me feel great about the deal lol.

Last edited by HooksNashville; 02-19-2024 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:37 PM
HooksNashville
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brakeless
Any chance of getting the original owner's phone number from them? If not, plan on opening it up.
Idk worth an ask I guess

Old 02-19-2024, 05:42 PM
HooksNashville
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robarosa
Fair chance at 27,000 they are ok... but I would change them being that old while in there. Post a picture of the cam chest and tensioner to cut down on all the guessing what to do.
Post it here? I really wanted to do the work myself but was afraid of terrible news and then id already be the owner. Think it's finainclly worth if I pay them to open and inspect it but then still do the work myself if they need replacing (assuming the debris isn't everywhere)?

I think they will charge two hours labor (300$) to inspect cam tensioner so I assume double that for the pad replacement but that's just a guess. If new pads are 160$ to buy, I just figure I'm only saving 150.00 to just have them do it. Just guessing cost off internet post over seen. With inflation I guess who knows how much it could be. I'll get a quote tomorrow... fingers crossed..

Last edited by HooksNashville; 02-19-2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:01 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 561 Likes on 392 Posts

My thinking was with your statement.
---> Now I'm second guessing and have asked the dealer to charge me for that inspection as well. <---
While the tech has the cam chest open, he could send you a picture and you could post it.

Just what do you want to do? If you can't reach to previous owner, you are dealing with a 19 year old bike. Have you heard it run? If you don't hear any strange noise and you like the bike, I'd buy it. That's my 2cents opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by robarosa:
HooksNashville (02-19-2024), Scottyxbones (02-21-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 06:07 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,688 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Here's the problem as I see it. You really want the bike and are offering to pay for the inspection. Whats going to happen is most likely they'll tear it apart, find they need replacing and make you pay for not only new shoes but new inner and outer bearings as well. And then "gee it looks like you need an oil pump as well"! Personally I wouldn't do it but I'm mechanically inclined and have the tools.

HooksNashville (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 06:08 PM
HooksNashville
Intermediate

Here another question, Should I convince the HD Dealer to inspect the bike and cam tensioners and they are not only worn but bits of debris are found/missing from the pads, should I not by the bike as those bits must be in the engine somewhere? I saw some people saying check in the toilet filter for pieces. So I assume just cause there are missing pad pieces doesn't mean the engine is FUBAR. ?

Quick Reply: Used Purchase: Dealer Inspection