Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Used Purchase: Dealer Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 10:29 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,785 Likes on 1,017 Posts

You are going to be a good fit on this forum, like most they find thing out about their bikes the not really there. Its a used bike but if it's not making noise don't worry about it. Yes its going to need replaced if not already replaced. If the price is right buy it.

Old 02-22-2024, 12:09 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 369 Likes on 203 Posts

Since the 99-05 Twin Cams are to be considered faulty from the factory, the cam chain tensioners are a design flaw that most manufacturers would have replaced for free as a good will repair, in my opinion the dealer should at least offer to remove the cam cover so you can inspect the state of the tensioner pads yourself.

It's not a big job, remove exhaust and cover. Add a gasket and some engine oil. They should do that for free.

Last edited by SwedishMeatball; 02-22-2024 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:22 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,363 Likes on 5,501 Posts

You are purchasing a bike HD dealers will not even work on. All they want is you to purchase it and go away.

They will tell what ever it takes for you to sign on the line. Then take it and anything else they get you to purchase and show you the door.

I do not understand anyone buying a bike the dealer will not even support.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:36 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

John, if it runs OK, a 05 without record history is a gamble.

If you buy it, just replace the tensioners, oil pump and inner cam bearing. Your good for a long time.

I have a 04 Softail retired sitting in VA. It has little over 50,000 on it. Not long ago, I syphoned all the fuel out, replaced the fuel, put the battery in and got my son to put some miles on it.

Runs like new. Has the original tensioners in it.

Even in 07 or so with the roller chain and hydraulic system, the tension pads are just too small. Look at the tension pads on a M8.

On a well designed chain system, a roller chain outer links groove in and then the rollers roll. Wear stops. Hopefully, the M8 will do that.

Your 05 is fine if ridden like the cruiser it is.

If what you're paying for it is a concern, your in the wrong hobby.

Only millionaires should buy antiques if they can't work on it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-22-2024 at 07:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
touchdown (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 10:07 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,014 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Your search should start with at least the 2009 models ... Many improvements over the pre 2009 models

So what was improved on a 09 to make it better than an 05 Deluxe other than tensioners and a little more displacement?

A better comp?

Old 02-22-2024, 10:33 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So what was improved on a 09 to make it better than an 05 Deluxe other than tensioners and a little more displacement?

A better comp?
Lose something to get something?

The early TC with link chain wore and never stopped wearing shoes till they were replaced or broke.

The first generation of roller chains on the TC did the the same since shoe was to thin to allow rollers to roll. The hydraulic plunger broke through the center of the shoe.

What generation or year of the TC did Harley get the shoes thick enough to let chain rollers roll and stop wearing?

Link chain (some call silent). And cavitatation from high RPM. Even with reasable RPM, wear never stops.

First generation roller chains or either a inner link chain on a hydralic conversion. Not sure?

If thick enough, with a roller chain, rollers roll and wear stops.Rolle chain on bike.

Link chain. My Harley at 30,000. There still in there at 50,000. links have a orange peel bumpy face. Cuts down cavitation I think. My shoes were smooth.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-22-2024 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:43 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,014 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper

The early TC with link chain did this and never stopped wearing shoes till they were replaced or broke.

The first generation of roller chains on the TC did the second attachment.

What generation or year of the TC did Harley get the shoes thick enough to let chain rollers roll and stop wearing?
Some time after 2000 they started polishing the backs of the chain. IMO, there is not difference between roller and silent chain here if the hydraulic tensioner is used. Honda has used silent chains on a number of bikes without issue.

Old 02-22-2024, 11:10 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

The early TC with link chain wore and never stopped wearing shoes till they were replaced or broke.

The first generation of roller chains on the TC did the the same since shoe was to thin to allow rollers to roll. The hydraulic plunger broke through the center of the shoe.

Link chain (some call silent). And cavitatation from high RPM. Even with reasable RPM, wear never stops.

First generation roller chains or either a inner link chain on a hydralic conversion. Not sure?

If thick enough, with a roller chain, rollers roll and wear stops.Rolle chain on bike.

Link chain. My Harley at 30,000. There still in there at 50,000. links have a orange peel bumpy face. Cuts down cavitation I think. My shoes were smooth.
John.

There really isn't a reasonable priced upgrade. Even Harleys so called upgrade leaves an inner link chain since sprocket is part of cam shaft.

Link chain sprocket

Roller chain sprocket.

Old 02-22-2024, 12:26 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,363 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow

A better comp?
To start with the Frame allowing better tires. and more. The front end,6 gallon tank. TC96 standard 6 speed

Last edited by smitty901; 02-22-2024 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:51 PM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 369 Likes on 203 Posts

John.

There really isn't a reasonable priced upgrade. Even Harleys so called upgrade leaves an inner link chain since sprocket is part of cam shaft.

Link chain sprocket

Roller chain sprocket.
If you want roller chain on the cams you can install a 2007 up OEM cam plate and oil pump, together with "conversion cams". That's a very economical option, only drawback is that the cam selection is limited to Andrews, Feuling and Woods. Which isn't really that much of a drawback.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase: Dealer Inspection