2006 Softail Springer with TC88B

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 02:38 AM
Genion
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Softail Springer with TC88B

Hello everybody!

I plan to buy my first HD next year, FXSTS Springer Softail. I found this information on motorbikeinsider :
" Harley 2006 FXSTS Springer Softail:While the 2005 Softail Deluxe was a disaster for Harley, they made a complete turn-around in 2006. The Springer Softail in 2006 featured a completely redesigned Twin Cam engine. The manufacturer focused on counterbalancing the engine and boosting its power.

It was a great leap. Previously riders complained about the Twin Cam engines being underpowered. Its increased power and balanced design offered better comfort and riding smoothness. Also, the shoe design of the cam chain lasted more than the rubber ones. "

Can somebody confirm this? I see new 200 mm rear tire on cast aluminum rear wheel, redesigned rear fender... but, cant find any information about 2006 Springer Softail engines...

Thank you in advance for the infos.
Genion

Old 11-29-2023, 01:32 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Genion
Hello everybody!

I plan to buy my first HD next year, FXSTS Springer Softail. I found this information on motorbikeinsider :

" Harley 2006 FXSTS Springer Softail:While the 2005 Softail Deluxe was a disaster for Harley, they made a complete turn-around in 2006. The Springer Softail in 2006 featured a completely redesigned Twin Cam engine. The manufacturer focused on counterbalancing the engine and boosting its power.

It was a great leap. Previously riders complained about the Twin Cam engines being underpowered. Its increased power and balanced design offered better comfort and riding smoothness. Also, the shoe design of the cam chain lasted more than the rubber ones. "

Can somebody confirm this? I see new 200 mm rear tire on cast aluminum rear wheel, redesigned rear fender... but, cant find any information about 2006 Springer Softail engines...

Genion

Whoever wrote that is ignorant about the Harley Twin Cam engines...

The EVO engine softails through 1999, did not have a counter balanced engine.

With the introduction of the 2000 Twin Cam 88B engine, the 2000 Harley Softail models were now running a counterbalanced engine...

The 2006 Softails still had the 88B engine, that was introduced in 2000.

In 2007, the softails went to the 96B engine. It was a 96" version of the counterbalanced 88B engine. It wasn't really a total redesign, it was still a balanced Twin Cam engine, albeit with larger displacement.

They did update the cam chest in the 96B engine. They added hydraulic cam tensioners, a different cam plate design, different inner cam bearing, and a different oil pump. All nice upgrades, but had nothing to do with counterbalancing.

The 88B engine never had "rubber" cam tensioners... The 88B engine had spring loaded cam tensioners with a link style chain which caused some rapid tensioner pad wear and cam tensioner failure issues. The 96B engine had hydraulic cam tensioners with a roller chain. The cam tensioner/plate upgrade led to a more reliable, and longer lasting OEM cam drive mechanism.

By the end of 2008, there were several kits, and a few popular ways, to upgrade the OEM spring cam tensioners of an 88B engine, and thus gain the reliability and longevity of the hydraulic tensioners used in the 2007 96B engine.

I have a 2001 Twin Cam 88B and a 2003 Twin Cam 88B (with a 95" big bore kit). Both run well and are fun to ride. They are more powerful than my old 74" & 80" shovel head, and 80" EVO powered bikes. Yet they are not as powerful as my other 103" Twin Cam or my Bagger with a crate engine @ 135HP/151TQ. That doesn't make them "underpowered", as the HD engines have gained displacement and power ever since I started riding HD bikes back in 1978...

Both my 88B engine bikes have had the cam tensioners upgraded. I would take either one on a cross country trip tomorrow, I am that confident in their reliability. Although, being 66 years old, I'd probably take my newer bagger, just for the comfort factor...

Last edited by hattitude; 11-29-2023 at 01:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
Genion (11-29-2023), Tcrafty (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 01:37 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

The EVO engine softails did not have a counter balanced engine.

With the introduction of the 2000 Twin Cam 88B engine, the 2000 Harley Softail models were now running a counterbalanced engine...

In 2007, the softails went to the 96B engine. It was a 96" version of the counterbalanced 88B engine. It wasn't really a total redesign, it was still a balanced Twin Cam engine. They did update the cam chest with hydraulic cam tensioners, a different cam plate design, different inner cam bearing, and different oil pump. All nice upgrades, but had nothing to do with counterbalancing nor did it have significant impact on how the bike ran, other than the power from the bigger displacement.. The cam tensioner/plate upgrade led to a more reliable, and longer lasting OEM cam drive mechanism.
Also 07 went to 6 speeds...my 06 standard is a great reliable bike....I just put Andrews tw21 cams in this year and I've owned it since 07. Upgraded the injectors to 25*, PC5, and lots of other improvements. Its anything but a standard now.

Last edited by golfblues; 11-29-2023 at 01:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Genion (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 01:47 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

hattitude has laid it out well. IIRC, 2006 was the last year for the FXSTS, Springer Softail. Personally, I never liked the Springer model; too much extra hardware up front for me. I would be looking at the Fatboy or the Heritage Classic if looking at softails.JMHO

Old 11-29-2023, 01:50 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Hello everybody!

Genion
Grab it if you like that old school look. Be sure you a pretty good garage mechanic. You don't want to depend on others for work.

That's really a round town cruiser. Respect it's primitive handling and braking. It's a real looker however and pretty rare.

I have an 04 Softail that has the spring tensioners. Has 50,000 miles on it. Nothing has been changed and it still runs like new.

Has same type of delrin shoe but a link chain. Why they never stop wearing.

That 06 has a roller chain. That's what is the trick. Once it grooved in, the rollers roll. Wear stops. The real truth is the delrin in hot climate areas that see a lot of hot oil can make the delrin brittle and break.

So even them need to be watched (listen actually). If they break, don't continue driving it. Probably a good idea to change them ever 10 years if you drive far from home.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-29-2023 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Genion (11-29-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 12:38 AM
Genion
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

The EVO engine softails through 1999, did not have a counter balanced engine.

In 2007, the softails went to the 96B engine. It was a 96" version of the counterbalanced 88B engine. It wasn't really a total redesign, it was still a balanced Twin Cam engine, albeit with larger displacement.

They did update the cam chest in the 96B engine. They added hydraulic cam tensioners, a different cam plate design, different inner cam bearing, and a different oil pump. All nice upgrades, but had nothing to do with counterbalancing.

The 88B engine never had "rubber" cam tensioners... The 88B engine had spring loaded cam tensioners with a link style chain which caused some rapid tensioner pad wear and cam tensioner failure issues. The 96B engine had hydraulic cam tensioners with a roller chain. The cam tensioner/plate upgrade led to a more reliable, and longer lasting OEM cam drive mechanism.

By the end of 2008, there were several kits, and a few popular ways, to upgrade the OEM spring cam tensioners of an 88B engine, and thus gain the reliability and longevity of the hydraulic tensioners used in the 2007 96B engine.

I have a 2001 Twin Cam 88B and a 2003 Twin Cam 88B (with a 95" big bore kit). Both run well and are fun to ride. They are more powerful than my old 74" & 80" shovel head, and 80" EVO powered bikes. Yet they are not as powerful as my other 103" Twin Cam or my Bagger with a crate engine @ 135HP/151TQ. That doesn't make them "underpowered", as the HD engines have gained displacement and power ever since I started riding HD bikes back in 1978...

Both my 88B engine bikes have had the cam tensioners upgraded. I would take either one on a cross country trip tomorrow, I am that confident in their reliability. Although, being 66 years old, I'd probably take my newer bagger, just for the comfort factor...
Thank you all for prompt and very informativ reply, its very helpful for me! As I understand, even the last year FXSTS models have not so reliable cam chest, so better update them with aftermarket options (which one would you recommend?) ... well, maybe I'll choose cross bones over FXSTS - its last year springer with some updates, have 96b engine with 6 Speed transmission and can be customised very well...
Im not so experienced driver... my first and only bike is yamaha v-star 650, which I have modified into bobber style... I enjoy weekend, sunny weather drives at around 50-60 mph,... maybe maximum 1000-1200 miles/year ... so, actually my v-star is very good beginner bike and have enough power for me, however Harleys have always fascinated me and visually I like Springer frontend very much... I understand, it's "old technic" and have many disadvantages versus modern forks, but I don't buy it for "sportiness"... I think, it will be more, than enough for my driving skills and even better, than my v-star...

Old 11-30-2023, 08:16 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Thank you all for prompt and very informativ reply, its very helpful for me! As I understand, even the last year FXSTS models have not so reliable cam chest, so better update them with aftermarket options (which one would you recommend?) ...

well, maybe I'll choose cross bones over FXSTS - its last year springer with some updates, have 96b engine with 6 Speed transmission and can be customised very well...

Im not so experienced driver... my first and only bike is yamaha v-star 650, which I have modified into bobber style... I enjoy weekend, sunny weather drives at around 50-60 mph,... maybe maximum 1000-1200 miles/year ... so, actually my v-star is very good beginner bike and have enough power for me, however Harleys have always fascinated me and visually I like Springer frontend very much... I understand, it's "old technic" and have many disadvantages versus modern forks, but I don't buy it for "sportiness"... I think, it will be more, than enough for my driving skills and even better, than my v-star...

There are several ways to upgrade the cam tensioners. The better the upgrade, the more expensive the cost. If you search cam tensioners, you will get many days of reading about the various methods. I have shared my opinons on that issue many times on this forum. If you go to the link below, post #10, I made a quick list of what I believe are the 4 ways to update tensioners.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ensioners.html

I have a 2001 FXSTS Springer. I really like it. It's just at Stage 1 engine mods, with updated tensioners, and it is a fun and reliable bike to ride. I'll admit, I have always wanted a Cross Bones... I just haven't seen one at what I consider a good price, or I would probably add one to my garage. It will give you a spring seat like your V-Star (nice looking bike, by the way), and the updated cam chest. The 6-speed is nice, but I have two with a five speed & two with a 6 speed. I don't consider the 6-speed to be as big an upgrade as many... And I ride on 75-80mph SoCal freeways... But then, I was totally satisfied cruising around for many years on my 4-speed shovel head bikes...

The Springer front end, while it is 1930s technology, gives a much better ride than I anticipated when I bought my 2001 Springer. The shock absorber on the modern Springer front end makes a big difference. If the rocker bushings, neck bearings, and that shock are in good condition, the springer doesn't feel like old technology to me.. A canyon carver it's not, but for regular cruising, I find it more than adequate...

Good luck with your Harley search and purchase decisions...!

Last edited by hattitude; 11-30-2023 at 10:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
Genion (11-30-2023), s-glide76 (12-03-2023)