Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Anyone got a used 99-2004 secondary chain tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 10:33 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

SWSIDLO, don't worry about any naysayer(s) ... make it

Harley_ish, too bad you had to say it twice

Last edited by multihdrdr; 11-10-2023 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
djl (11-11-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 08:18 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

What's a secondary tensioner? I know what a primary one is.. Inside cam tensioner?

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (01-09-2024)
Old 11-13-2023, 09:08 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior
Received 1,774 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
What's a secondary tensioner? I know what a primary one is.. Inside cam tensioner?
Twin cams have two cam chain tensioners.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:47 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by WONKEY
Twin cams have two cam chain tensioners.
They also have a primary drive chain tensioner. Hence my confusion. I don't call the cam chain tensioners primary or secondary. I call them inner and outer.

Now if he'd said secondary cam chain tensioner, it would have been more clear as to what he was saying.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 11-13-2023 at 09:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
jake24lt (11-14-2023), Vec (01-02-2024)
Old 11-13-2023, 10:23 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior
Received 1,774 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
They also have a primary drive chain tensioner. Hence my confusion. I don't call the cam chain tensioners primary or secondary. I call them inner and outer.

Now if he'd said secondary cam chain tensioner, it would have been more clear as to what he was saying.
true, I was just thinking cam.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:53 AM
Darkhorse1
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
Pretty sure most people have never actually used that tool. I never had to. Don't mean to rain on your parade, but why would you design a tool for something that's been out of production for 17 years?
In doing the research for this I am amazad at how many people are still looking for this. Not sure exactly how many of these bikes were made with this engine during those years but looking at this and other forums it seems many are still looking for this tool. If I can produce it for less than the $140 that seems to cost then maybe it will be worthwhile.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:34 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 369 Likes on 203 Posts

To change the inner tensioner you just need to remove the cams from the cam plate. This can be done in your kitchen using the oven and the freezer.

After heating the cam plate you should replace the o ring on the plug on top of the cam plate.

Easy peasy

Old 01-01-2024, 02:37 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by SWSIDLO
In doing the research for this I am amazad at how many people are still looking for this. Not sure exactly how many of these bikes were made with this engine during those years but looking at this and other forums it seems many are still looking for this tool. If I can produce it for less than the $140 that seems to cost then maybe it will be worthwhile.
I would give it a try just to see what it would cost to make an effective tool. I don't believe the Cujo tool is available now so there might be some demand for a cheap but effective tool; you know, we all like new tools.:icon-wink: I am amazed noone had come up with a used tensioner for the mockup; I checked, don't have one. I think you would have to keep the cost down to $25-$35 and not sure that is possible.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:02 AM
Darkhorse1
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I would give it a try just to see what it would cost to make an effective tool. I don't believe the Cujo tool is available now so there might be some demand for a cheap but effective tool; you know, we all like new tools.:icon-wink: I am amazed noone had come up with a used tensioner for the mockup; I checked, don't have one. I think you would have to keep the cost down to $25-$35 and not sure that is possible.
Im not sure about that price point but anything less than the current $130 and up I think should do well. Even if I sell them for say $75 I would venture to bet there will be some demand for them.
There was one on Ebay the other day for $99 and you would have thought it was priceless given the response from buyers.
I may just buy one of the tools I see to be able to use it for accurate measurements instead of a used tensioner.

and to the poster who suggested just popping the cams out, many on here just want a easier way to change those pesky tensioners without having to disassemble the whole cam plate.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:39 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 369 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by SWSIDLO
and to the poster who suggested just popping the cams out, many on here just want a easier way to change those pesky tensioners without having to disassemble the whole cam plate.
If you want to use the removal tool you are of course free to do so, I just wanted to suggest a different solution if you can't find or make the tool at a reasonable cost.

Popping out the cams is really easy, it takes maybe 20 minutes using no special tools at all. Do you really change tensioners that often?

Anyway, good luck which ever method you end up using

Quick Reply: Anyone got a used 99-2004 secondary chain tensioner?