WTF are you talking about?

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 08:24 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,005 Likes on 17,908 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Why is it all these threads turn into while we do this here We do that there What the **** man If it if there isn't an issue and you got good compression Just move on nobody needs to show how big their ****ing ***** are You guys got to get a grip it doesn't ****ing matter these are ****ing Harleys.. They're not a technical instrument or nothing You give them gas and go down the road as long as they run halfway decent everybody's ****ing happy....
Starting to sound like me

98hotrodfatboy (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 12:33 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 3,643 Posts

I got stupid sometimes, and easily provoked lately...

Old 10-25-2023, 09:28 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 369 Likes on 203 Posts

Back on topic I was under the impression that a leak down test is only done after a normal compression test has showed low readings, and the purpose is to decide if the compression is lost through the piston rings or the valves.

The ring to cylinder seal during real engine running is improved by the compression pressure pushing the compression rings outwards against the cylinder walls, this effect is not present during a leak down test so its only natural that there is some leakage.

Hilly13 (10-26-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 10:07 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,005 Likes on 17,908 Posts

You don't have a stupid problem my friend far from it, your tolerance for it has worn thin is all. Sometimes ya just gotta say something.

98hotrodfatboy (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 10:55 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Originally Posted by SwedishMeatball
Back on topic I was under the impression that a leak down test is only done after a normal compression test has showed low readings, and the purpose is to decide if the compression is lost through the piston rings or the valves.

The ring to cylinder seal during real engine running is improved by the compression pressure pushing the compression rings outwards against the cylinder walls, this effect is not present during a leak down test so its only natural that there is some leakage.

All I use it for. My gages aren't calibrated, other then me adjusting it in the beginning set up for pressure. Most manuals I have only show cranking,warm motor and wide open carb or throttle body .

Appears now in the aircraft certificate, there OK but I guess everything they use like torque wrenches ect are certified.

Were I use to work, we built nuclear subs. Ever thing we used was calibrate to 10 times the working tolerance.

It was nothing unusual to see most torque wrenches fail that when they came in brand new . Most, we just destroyed. Sometimes, manufacturers wanted them back if the were the big ones.

Most all ended up requiring a dial type.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-25-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:03 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

.......but for the rest of us it's funny when Max does that to you

Old 10-26-2023, 10:51 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I'm still trying to figure out what pissed him off here.. Now the vernier caliper thing I could see.. I once sent a buddy a dial caliper because all he had was what he called a cheap vernier caliper.. Turned out he was talking about a dial caliper but called it Vernier. Personally, IMO, a good vernier is likely more accurate than a dial..

Old 10-26-2023, 12:18 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I'm still trying to figure out what pissed him off here.. Now the vernier caliper thing I could see.. I once sent a buddy a dial caliper because all he had was what he called a cheap vernier caliper.. Turned out he was talking about a dial caliper but called it Vernier. Personally, IMO, a good vernier is likely more accurate than a dial..
Not all of us are as precise with our vocabulary as you are

Old 10-27-2023, 07:11 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 3,643 Posts

I'm glad you see the humor in it, even when I look back I laugh as well... Lol...

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Don't get me wrong here Max I respect your knowledge but sometimes you seem to needle people too much and provoke them and sometimes if I have a few beers I say stupid ****.. lol.. that's all.. I'm kind of the same way cuz even at work a lot of people don't like me cuz I'm too **** but I like to be precise as well so actually I should respect you even more for that... And here's your favorite smiley face... ....

Not all of us are as precise with our vocabulary as you are
It's not just his vocabulary It's his way of thinking and honestly I believe that's the way he is..I mean he's a machinist... And only to the 10/100000".... .... Green with envy...

The following 2 users liked this post by 98hotrodfatboy:
Fat11Lo (10-27-2023), Max Headflow (10-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Leak down questions