Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Tick tock

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 12:48 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Closing this one up. Got the new stock rocker base and put my original rockers and shafts in it. .009 end play on one, .008 on the other. Better than the .19 on the other loaner set. Just lifted the front of the tank (cause I’m lazy). I have a quick disconnect between the crossover fuel line which makes life easier. Didn’t have to mess with the pushrods so I left them alone. reused the pretty billet breathers, because why not. Ordered another set of rockouts too.

Put it all back together and started it up. Sounds good! I’m so ready to close the book on this and just ride with confidence. Glad it’s over.

Slathering it all up

New set of Rockouts

Can just barely get an .009 in there, so that works for me.

Swabbing out the bolt holes

Slowly tightened it down, waiting for the pushrods to spin before going another 1/2 turn, same again before final torque. The Short travels only have about .070 preload so it didn’t take very long.

Started it up and good to go.

I don’t want to see the inside of a motor for a while.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mchad:
98hotrodfatboy (10-29-2023), pgreer (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 01:28 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

I see you measured the gap in the rocker arm while they were off the bike...I thought they were supposed to be measured when they were installed and torqued down? Asking because I have a twin cam 110 cvo that I put a 117 drop on cylinder kit onto along with a set of 9b cams. My story was kinda opposite of yours in that I started with stock rockers and rocker stands. Mine was also quiet enough in the beginning that it didn't bother me. I've been chasing the same noise all season long. I've put in screaming eagle rocker stands, s&s roller rockers and shafts...which if they're louder than stock I sure didn't notice. Changed lifters and adjusted them from one end of the recommended preload to the other and every quarter turn in between. I've tried about 6 different types/ brands of oil in 3 different viscosities. Shimmed and reshimmed valve springs, clayed inside the rocker covers and clearanced any thing that was remotely close. I followed this thread hoping...waiting for the smoking gun lol. Winter plan is to send my heads back to hillside for a refreshing, take my time checking ,measuring everything and anything...again. I'm glad you found some relief though. Hopefully I can get there.

Old 10-29-2023, 02:03 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I see you measured the gap in the rocker arm while they were off the bike...I thought they were supposed to be measured when they were installed and torqued down? Asking because I have a twin cam 110 cvo that I put a 117 drop on cylinder kit onto along with a set of 9b cams. My story was kinda opposite of yours in that I started with stock rockers and rocker stands. Mine was also quiet enough in the beginning that it didn't bother me. I've been chasing the same noise all season long. I've put in screaming eagle rocker stands, s&s roller rockers and shafts...which if they're louder than stock I sure didn't notice. Changed lifters and adjusted them from one end of the recommended preload to the other and every quarter turn in between. I've tried about 6 different types/ brands of oil in 3 different viscosities. Shimmed and reshimmed valve springs, clayed inside the rocker covers and clearanced any thing that was remotely close. I followed this thread hoping...waiting for the smoking gun lol. Winter plan is to send my heads back to hillside for a refreshing, take my time checking ,measuring everything and anything...again. I'm glad you found some relief though. Hopefully I can get there.
I didn’t see anything in the manual stating how to measure. I’ll look again but I think I would have seen it if specified. I would think when torqued down the pressure from the preloaded pushrods might impact their ability to be slid left or right to get a feeler in there? But I could be wrong.

I hope you find your gremlin. It was a big relief for me!

Last edited by Mchad; 10-29-2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 01:32 PM
fat00boy
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Here you go. A 9b, utlima rockers, AVnV springs, rocker lockers, Crane 10530s with limiters, 15w50 M1, idle oil pressures 25 psi, after 15 miles in 97 degree heat. Smith Bros pushrods. Can not hear one loose valve..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty8tDoEbjIg
Christ, that sounds like my old shovel with a Colony solid lifter conversion kit.

Old 12-19-2023, 01:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by fat00boy
Christ, that sounds like my old shovel with a Colony solid lifter conversion kit.
Yeah, Ain't it sweet?