Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Knocking noise 110

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 08:23 AM
TXHill
Advanced
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Knocking noise 110

2 weeks ago walked around the dealership and got a good deal on a new RGS with trade in of my '19 SGS.. Also drooled over a '16 Breakout CVO sitting there..
When my RGS got delivered to my house, the guy also unloaded the Breakout. Gift from the wife as a side chick

I'm a total noob on the twin cam engines as I've only driven the M8. When I took the CVO out for a spin I noticed it's a more "raw" engine as the M8. I can hear (in my opinion) a fairly hard knocking noise form what I think, the front cylinder. I'm not familiar to know how this engine should sound so before I take it back to the dealer, I'd like to hear some opinions from veteran twin cam riders.

I've read some threads about the lifter issue with this engine, would that explain the knocking noise? Any help is appreciated! It has 14k on the odometer and most noticeable when cruising between 2500/3k RPM

Old 09-01-2023, 09:04 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Tricky part about these Twin Cam noises is the listeners description. Knock, tick, rattle, all indicate the general source of the noise. Knock could indicate rod and or piston slap; tick usually indicates something in the valve train, i.e. lash, leaky lifter or rocker shaft rotation in the support plate. Rattle could be a symptom of detonation or something loose on the bike like a heat shield or a fastner somewhere letting something move around. Which is why when these posts come up, the usual request is for a video so we can hear the offending noise.

If you can, make a YouTube video and post a link here; it will help identify the source of the noise.

The following users liked this post:
Wagner_Russia (11-18-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 09:16 AM
TXHill
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
Tricky part about these Twin Cam noises is the listeners description. Knock, tick, rattle, all indicate the general source of the noise. Knock could indicate rod and or piston slap; tick usually indicates something in the valve train, i.e. lash, leaky lifter or rocker shaft rotation in the support plate. Rattle could be a symptom of detonation or something loose on the bike like a heat shield or a fastner somewhere letting something move around. Which is why when these posts come up, the usual request is for a video so we can hear the offending noise.

If you can, make a YouTube video and post a link here; it will help identify the source of the noise.
Much appreciated! It's definitely a knock.. Not a rattle..

Only took it for a spin once since I didn't have much time unfortunately but I'll see if there's a way to record it.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:39 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

If the knock changes based on load, it is most likely in the drivetrain. Thing that knock in the drivetrain are pistons, rods, and compensator. About the only benign knock you can have is one coming through the intake if the bike has cam upgrade.. Take it back to the dealer.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
djl (09-01-2023), TXHill (09-01-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:56 AM
TXHill
Advanced

Took it back to the dealer.. A tech drove it and said he doesn't hear anything abnormal, so I guess it's just me..

Old 09-05-2023, 01:12 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 561 Likes on 392 Posts

Let a Harley savvy person ride the Breakout and see what he hears. Keep him away from your wife.
Nice bike.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:04 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 927 Likes on 474 Posts

That intake on my 110 is very noise. It's an odd sound too. I guess it could be considered a knocking noise.

The following 2 users liked this post by Buelligan666:
fltrxcrzy (09-20-2023), Max Headflow (09-05-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 06:18 PM
samrugger
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
That intake on my 110 is very noise. It's an odd sound too. I guess it could be considered a knocking noise.
Does it sound anything like this?

Old 11-09-2023, 06:59 AM
TXHill
Advanced

Originally Posted by samrugger
Does it sound anything like this?
Odd sound coming out of the TB
No.. To me that's a ticking noise, mine is louder and deeper.. Tried to record mine but all you hear is wind noise as I only hear it when I'm riding..

Old 11-10-2023, 06:31 AM
samrugger
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXHill
No.. To me that's a ticking noise, mine is louder and deeper.. Tried to record mine but all you hear is wind noise as I only hear it when I'm riding..
Is there a particular rpm range that it occurs at?

Quick Reply: Knocking noise 110