Umbrella valve upgrade - w/ so many options, how do you pick

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 09:28 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,203 Likes on 2,239 Posts
Default Umbrella valve upgrade - w/ so many options, how do you pick

In an effort to maximize the gains and results of my effort on this rebuild, I'm looking for the stuff that is easy to do, but a PITA to get to. - since I have it stripped down so far.
That included new cables, along with a final approach to the breather setup that I made last year.
I had never finished or painted the bracket, so it only makes sense to do it now.
That made me wonder why there was so much oil in the can and tubing.
Remember, it was lying on this side for a bit following the accident, so there's that .
As others already know, excessive blow by could be a sign of a gunked up or failed umbrella valve in the rockers.
No better time to address this upgrade than when the tank is already off.

With so many upgrade/replacement options out there, how do you know if any one version is really any better (or different) from any other brand?
Prices range from about $40 to $250, but I noticed the higher priced models also come with gaskets and new (shorter) bolts to make installation easier.
The inexpensive versions seem to only have the bare minimum in required parts.

With the engine still IN the frame, what features or specs in a kit should I be considering to make this upgrade easy?

Old 08-10-2023, 09:42 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I used the Harley kit. Inexpensive and all you need. Make sure to blow/clean the bolt holes out so any oil that may have snuck in there doesn't create a problem.
ETA: What does a $250 umbrella kit include? Having a hard time wrapping my head around that.

Last edited by QC; 08-10-2023 at 09:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rogue8Man (08-23-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 11:08 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,203 Likes on 2,239 Posts

There’s this one:
https://shop.traskperformance.com/pr...r-kit-mystfree

There’s this one:
https://www.denniskirk.com/feuling-p...rd/1800732.sku

Another:
https://secure.vulcanworks.net/store...-Breather.html

Another:
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/v-t...ku_id=10243295

Now I can’t locate the kit that included rocker cover gaskets so from these options all i$250 gets you is a machined and anodized finish on a part that can’t even be seen. 🤷‍♂️

Old 08-11-2023, 08:48 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Replace the head breathers with the later OEM "stamped" breathers; cheap and easy; PN 26500002.

The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
07UltraGuy (08-11-2023), Lonewolf176 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 09:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Nothing wrong with the original cast ones. New valve (HD) and filters.

I tried the new stamped ones on a bigger motor and all they did was take a little longer before they started to bleed..

Drill out the rocker plate drain to 1/8"..

07UltraGuy (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 06:18 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

They're all mediocre at best for a stock engine and its just dumb you have to tear it down as far as you do just to replace them. For a built engine, especially one running higher rpms, they lack in my experience.
I eliminated them and use an external reed valve off each breather bolt. Reed valves open/close quicker eliminating any air being sucked back in and maintaining a slight vacuum. This makes for better ring seal, the cause of blowby in the first place.
I left the housing and drilled out the drain holes under them and I can run my oil on the full mark and not get a drop of oil ever out of the hose running under my bike.
These reed valves can be disassembled and cleaned if necessary and no need to pull the tank and rocker covers to do it or replace them.
One on each side going to a T fitting and out under the engine. Never leaves a drop.
They are street and track tested in BMW twins and made to mount directly in the case. There's a version to replace the sump plug. I just use a universal inline version but have toyed with doing a case mount.
​​​

Old 08-11-2023, 06:57 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Nothing wrong with the stamped ones.. I run them in mine without any issue at all.. Just make sure you do like Max said and drill out the plate to 0.125"
If you're truly concerned about blow by do a leak down test..

Old 08-11-2023, 07:03 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
They're all mediocre at best for a stock engine and its just dumb you have to tear it down as far as you do just to replace them. For a built engine, especially one running higher rpms, they lack in my experience.
I eliminated them and use an external reed valve off each breather bolt. Reed valves open/close quicker eliminating any air being sucked back in and maintaining a slight vacuum. This makes for better ring seal, the cause of blowby in the first place.
I left the housing and drilled out the drain holes under them and I can run my oil on the full mark and not get a drop of oil ever out of the hose running under my bike.
These reed valves can be disassembled and cleaned if necessary and no need to pull the tank and rocker covers to do it or replace them.
One on each side going to a T fitting and out under the engine. Never leaves a drop.
They are street and track tested in BMW twins and made to mount directly in the case. There's a version to replace the sump plug. I just use a universal inline version but have toyed with doing a case mount.
​​​
So how much faster are they? 10 ms?

What is the back to back increase in performance?

Old 08-11-2023, 10:20 PM
Mi-Infidel
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cyco

I drilled the oil return holes to 1/8" and used Cyco umbrella seals and foam. I also added a couple of hoses and an external breather filter. Seems to work great even at higher rpms it doesn't really spit oil. The biggest thing that helped my problem was going back and aligning the oil pump because I forgot to align it when I put it back together last spring 😂

Breather is above the air filter.

Old 08-12-2023, 06:40 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So how much faster are they? 10 ms?

What is the back to back increase in performance?
The guy I know that tested didn't test for power/performance increase but crankcase pressure or lack of it. These particular reed valves maintained a constant crankcase vacuum. The stock umbrella valves were up and down pressure when new. Presumably because they allow air back in briefly before closing. What happens to them after being exposed to the high heat of one of the hottest places in the engine? Its a dumb design . There's a reason every other big twin with 2 cylinders going up and down at the same time or nearly the same time use reed valves. Feel free to use the stock umbrellas if you think they're all that. They are obviously considered a maintenance item. That's why replacements come in gasket kits.
Do you know how much crankcase pressure you have? Would you agree or disagree no positive pressure is best? There's a reason race engines run vacuum pumps and it's not cuz they look cool.
I don't have to run my oil a half quart low either. In fact ATM it's slightly over the full mark. Not a drop hits the pavement where I park.
Running low on oil isn't a fix for poor crankcase breathers or oil pump scavenging for that matter.

https://jsmotorsport.com/reed-valve-...case-breather/

Last edited by 60Gunner; 08-12-2023 at 07:19 AM.
Mi-Infidel (08-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Umbrella valve upgrade - w/ so many options, how do you pick