Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

2011 FXDB Stage 1 and Stage 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 01:46 AM
Lethal_Inc
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2011 FXDB Stage 1 and Stage 2 questions

Hello all, new member and first thread. I have a 2011 Street Bob 96” and have several questions to hope have answered. Back in 2011 I bought this bike brand new and pretty much did the stage 1 upgrade right away. I put a SE high flow air filter, a Vance & Hines dual straight shots exhaust, and had it tuned at the local HD shop with a SE super tuner. My results are as follows. I had maximum HP of 69 at 5000 RPM and about 86 max torque at 3450 RPM. I realize now that these number are average to below average for this 96” TC. Would I have got more gains if I had used a heavy breather instead of the high flow air filter? Would I also have more gains if I had used a 2 to 1 exhaust instead of the duals I chose? I like what I did at the time and I thought it made my bike pretty awesome. Been riding it like that for the last 12 years.

Now I’m contemplating on doing a stage 2 bolt in cam upgrade. I ride my bike aggressively, meaning I get on her from the line all the way to high RPM’s. From cruising around town to flat out speed in the open mountain roads. I am leaning towards either the Woods 555 kit or the Fueling 543 kit which includes the cams, upgraded oil pump, cam plate, lifters, push rods, etc. I think either of these cams will give me increased torque and HP basically from the mid to high RPM’s without losing much in the low rpm range. Which cam would be the best with my current set up? I have read that the Woods 555 cams might need higher compression than my stock engine to get the full bang and I have also read that stock compression is fine as well. If I do either cam, would a full heavy breather give me more gains than my high flow air filter? Obviously changing the cams and possibly the air cleaner, I would need a good tune and would take it to the local HD shop or local motorcycle shop. Can I re use my old SE super tuner or Dino need a different tuner as well?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions but hoping someone can help me out here. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2023, 09:16 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

I've typically jumped straight to cams / bore / head at one time so don't have any direct experience. I do think that if doing only cams, I'd go for the andrews 57. It carries further than say the andrews 48. It has an earlier intake close than your 2 mentioned cams. No need to replace the cam plate or oil pump. I'd do lifters and pushrods..

The old tuner should still be good. The big issue will be finding someone that can use it..

Old 07-24-2023, 10:03 AM
Lethal_Inc
Novice

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I've typically jumped straight to cams / bore / head at one time so don't have any direct experience. I do think that if doing only cams, I'd go for the andrews 57. It carries further than say the andrews 48. It has an earlier intake close than your 2 mentioned cams. No need to replace the cam plate or oil pump. I'd do lifters and pushrods..

The old tuner should still be good. The big issue will be finding someone that can use it..
I will have to take a look at the Andrews 57 but don’t want to turn this into a cam debate. There are so many choices out there. Thanks for your input!

Old 07-24-2023, 10:07 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,136 Posts

I was just reading this website:
https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...haft-shootout/

For your use (I also have an FXDB), I can't imagine anything, at least in that shootout, will beat the Woods 555. That's what I'd pick for my own bike out of the ones they used there.

That said, you also have the option of adding cubic inches at the same time, and if I were you, I'd probably do that too.

Old 07-24-2023, 12:02 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Couple things about FM's tests. They use thier version of the Whitebro's E pipe which allows them to tune the pipe to the cam.. The 103 are slightly higher compression.. Results will be different on a 96. I like woods cams have run the W5 W8 W9B and W777. Still run the 9B and W777. Give either the fueling or w555 a shot if you want.. I do think that the 57 will be a little better at partial throttle down low.. Charts only tell part of the story.. Heck Give FM a call. See what they say.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:55 PM
Lethal_Inc
Novice

Yes thanks for the suggestions. Anybody have input to whether or not a full breather would be better than my high flow air filter?

Old 07-24-2023, 05:31 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

If you are running the stage 1 SE, I'd doubt you see much if any on a 96 stage 2. It'd help on bigger motors..

If you are doing the work, check crank runout..

Old 07-24-2023, 05:53 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Lethal_Inc
Yes thanks for the suggestions. Anybody have input to whether or not a full breather would be better than my high flow air filter?
That high flow filter flows more than enough air for the 96" engine, especially since you're only going to do cams. Save your money and spend it on lifters and push rods for the cam install.

Now I also have experience with the Feuling 543 cams in my 103" powered street bob. Pretty good cams, but looking back now probably not the perfect choice for all out power, and I wish it had a hair more power up top. But I'm still happy with them as all an all around "mid range" power delivery cam choice. and a pretty great improvement over stock. I would also say I ride similarly to you. Sometimes a leisurely cruise, sometimes riding very aggressively in the twisties. Going with the Woods 555's I think would've netted me just a couple more numbers on the dyno sheet, but otherwise the peak TQ/ HP and curves of the 555 and 543 cams are practically identical. I say get the 555's or check out the TW-6 cams. The Tw-6's come on about 100rpm later than the 555 and 543's.

Also talk to your guy who will be tuning your bike as far as your tuner situation. he might be able to work with the HD tuner. otherwise ask what he suggests and what he is best tuning with. I have a Dynojet power vision tuner. Which I got before meeting my tuner and finding out about FuelMoto. Lucky for me, my the tuner I found was very well versed with the dynojet software, and made for a great driving bike. But if I were to do it all again today I'd consult my tuner first and/ or fuelmoto and take their suggestions for my situation. I did end up getting my cams, install kit, push rods, and lifters from FuelMoto, during a sale for a great price. And if you buy a dynojet tuner from FuelMoto they offer tuning support, and will tune for you if you don't have a tuner close enough to you, But that is a little more hassle due to data logging and running auto tune sessions as they perfect your tune, rather than a guy on a dyno getting it done all in one session.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 07-24-2023 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:19 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

The Tw-6's come on about 100rpm later than the 555 and 543's.
Seems to me that it would come on about 100 rpm earlier as it has 2 degrees less duration with the same lobe centers.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:43 PM
Lethal_Inc
Novice

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s
That high flow filter flows more than enough air for the 96" engine, especially since you're only going to do cams. Save your money and spend it on lifters and push rods for the cam install.

Now I also have experience with the Feuling 543 cams in my 103" powered street bob. Pretty good cams, but looking back now probably not the perfect choice for all out power, and I wish it had a hair more power up top. But I'm still happy with them as all an all around "mid range" power delivery cam choice. and a pretty great improvement over stock. I would also say I ride similarly to you. Sometimes a leisurely cruise, sometimes riding very aggressively in the twisties. Going with the Woods 555's I think would've netted me just a couple more numbers on the dyno sheet, but otherwise the peak TQ/ HP and curves of the 555 and 543 cams are practically identical. I say get the 555's or check out the TW-6 cams. The Tw-6's come on about 100rpm later than the 555 and 543's.

Also talk to your guy who will be tuning your bike as far as your tuner situation. he might be able to work with the HD tuner. otherwise ask what he suggests and what he is best tuning with. I have a Dynojet power vision tuner. Which I got before meeting my tuner and finding out about FuelMoto. Lucky for me, my the tuner I found was very well versed with the dynojet software, and made for a great driving bike. But if I were to do it all again today I'd consult my tuner first and/ or fuelmoto and take their suggestions for my situation. I did end up getting my cams, install kit, push rods, and lifters from FuelMoto, during a sale for a great price. And if you buy a dynojet tuner from FuelMoto they offer tuning support, and will tune for you if you don't have a tuner close enough to you, But that is a little more hassle due to data logging and running auto tune sessions as they perfect your tune, rather than a guy on a dyno getting it done all in one session.
Great info. What do you think about the stock compression in my 96”? Is it ok to run either of these cams?

Quick Reply: 2011 FXDB Stage 1 and Stage 2 questions