Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 09:48 PM
Lethal_Inc
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by downzero
I was just reading this website:
https://university.fuelmotousa.com/a...haft-shootout/

For your use (I also have an FXDB), I can't imagine anything, at least in that shootout, will beat the Woods 555. That's what I'd pick for my own bike out of the ones they used there.

That said, you also have the option of adding cubic inches at the same time, and if I were you, I'd probably do that too.
I wish!! Can’t afford stage 3 at this time. Just want to do a bolt in cam and see if I can get a little more performance than what I have now.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:03 PM
Czracer
Tourer
Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Lethal_Inc
I wish!! Can’t afford stage 3 at this time. Just want to do a bolt in cam and see if I can get a little more performance than what I have now.
2 into 1 will always make more horsepower , than straight shots . Even my oem head pipe with slip ons makes more than straight shots. In your post, did the dealer just tune it or did they dyno tune it ? Big difference between that . I have a 2008 Fat Bob with Screaming Eagle Slips, Open Air filter setup, DK external breather , and a Power Vision 4 tuner with a 5 tunes from Fuel Moto, now I don't know my actual horsepower and torque numbers but with the tune I got now and all the changes I made, the bike runs way better and has power every where and I still get over 40 miles a gallon . I also run SE plugs and wires just because they were great price . You gotta do your homework here because of how many choices that you have to get where you wanna go . Good luck

Old 07-24-2023, 10:06 PM
Lethal_Inc
Novice

Man I wish I had the confidence to do this myself. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and I could probably go buy the correct tools needed and still
save money rather than taking it to dealer or finding a shop that will do it. I have seen a few videos of how it is done. I think the biggest issue is replacing the inner bearings and correctly installing the lifters and push rods. Too much to tackle if not an expert?

Old 07-24-2023, 10:14 PM
Czracer
Tourer
Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Lethal_Inc
Man I wish I had the confidence to do this myself. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and I could probably go buy the correct tools needed and still
save money rather than taking it to dealer or finding a shop that will do it. I have seen a few videos of how it is done. I think the biggest issue is replacing the inner bearings and correctly installing the lifters and push rods. Too much to tackle if not an expert?
YouTube and service manual

Old 07-24-2023, 10:16 PM
Lethal_Inc
Novice

Originally Posted by Czracer
2 into 1 will always make more horsepower , than straight shots . Even my oem head pipe with slip ons makes more than straight shots. In your post, did the dealer just tune it or did they dyno tune it ? Big difference between that . I have a 2008 Fat Bob with Screaming Eagle Slips, Open Air filter setup, DK external breather , and a Power Vision 4 tuner with a 5 tunes from Fuel Moto, now I don't know my actual horsepower and torque numbers but with the tune I got now and all the changes I made, the bike runs way better and has power every where and I still get over 40 miles a gallon . I also run SE plugs and wires just because they were great price . You gotta do your homework here because of how many choices that you have to get where you wanna go . Good luck
It was dyno tuned and the bike really runs good. I think it’s a beast as it is being a lighter bike. I just like the look and sound of the double exhaust compared to a 2 into 1. Just looking to do a stage 2 cam. What more homework needs to be done other than if just wanting to do it myself? As mentioned above, I do have the service manual. Performance plugs and wires seems like a cheap upgrade tho.

Last edited by Lethal_Inc; 07-24-2023 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 05:26 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Czracer
That's not necessarily true. There are **** poor 2in1s that flat out suck. Not all 2in1s are worth their weight in scrap.
Also top end hp is not the weak point of straightshots.. Or true duals in general.
It's typically low end.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:47 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Based on what I read from the OP, the Andrews 48 should fill the bill. The 96" TC static is about 9.5-9.6 IIRC, not enough IMHO to optimize the 57. Agree on spending money on lifters, pushrods, better fuel management which will produce a better tune. Also agree that the OP shoud roll up his sleeves and get DIY dirty. If the OP thinks this bike is a "beast" at 86TQ/69HP, he is in for a surprise. I have seen dyno sheets for a Stage 2 96" motor like his making 90HP/100TQ with stock head pipes and aftermarket slipons like Rush. Maybe check out Big City baffles and re-baffle the straightshots as part of the plan?

Old 07-25-2023, 11:44 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Based on what I read from the OP, the Andrews 48 should fill the bill. The 96" TC static is about 9.5-9.6 IIRC, not enough IMHO to optimize the 57. Agree on spending money on lifters, pushrods, better fuel management which will produce a better tune. Also agree that the OP shoud roll up his sleeves and get DIY dirty. If the OP thinks this bike is a "beast" at 86TQ/69HP, he is in for a surprise. I have seen dyno sheets for a Stage 2 96" motor like his making 90HP/100TQ with stock head pipes and aftermarket slipons like Rush. Maybe check out Big City baffles and re-baffle the straightshots as part of the plan?
I would agree except that he said this..

I think either of these cams will give me increased torque and HP basically from the mid to high RPM’s without losing much in the low rpm range.
Motor will sign off early.

One of the things to note is that the bike has dual side pipes.. Too may assume that because true duals on a bagger don't work all that well, that they don't work elsewhere. TD side pipes with equal length headers can do very well.. While some thing that a 2-1 is king, it's not.. There have been guys that have made good power with those of duals. I'll admit I've not used them but suspect that the baffle might need tweaking. The ones that have worked for me a KW ARIII, KW AR100, and Bassani pro streets.

On the 88 ci TC models, the dynas run very well with old cycles shack mufflers on stock headers and the 37 cam. They pretty much picked up 10/10 going from stage 1 to stage 2 with the 3.. The 57 is the same cam with more lift.. Head pipes with louvered baffles do a good job of keeping the TQ down low.

Old 07-25-2023, 02:31 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Max, you left out what the OP said.

I am sticking with the 48 and some Big City baffles. You know I agree that 2:1 pipes are not the end all; made good power on my all bore 107 with Rinehart TDs but did improve it when I fitted the later cross under system with Fuel Moto X pipe and 4" Jackpot mufflers.

Old 07-25-2023, 02:39 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Max, you left out what the OP said.

I am sticking with the 48 and some Big City baffles. You know I agree that 2:1 pipes are not the end all; made good power on my all bore 107 with Rinehart TDs but did improve it when I fitted the later cross under system with Fuel Moto X pipe and 4" Jackpot mufflers.

OK how about this part?

I ride my bike aggressively, meaning I get on her from the line all the way to high RPM’s.

Quick Reply: 2011 FXDB Stage 1 and Stage 2 questions