Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Screaming eagle piston part numbers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 01:09 PM
02fx
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Screaming eagle piston part numbers

Hello, does anybody know part numbers for a 95 inch cast Screamin Eagle Pistons for a 2002 Dyna? I'm coming up with two part numbers, 22851-99A and 22114-99A. Are these possibly the same part? I'm looking for cast Pistons. I'm running and S&S 510 cam and want to keep the compression below 9.721.
Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
djl (06-21-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

According to the latest SE Performance catalog, 22851-99A is the correct PN for the cast 3.875" bore pistons for youir Dyna. 22114-99A is not a listed PN in the the SE Performance catalog but 22114-08B is listed as the PN for the forged version of the 95" conversion. Anyway, 22851-99A is the piston for the 95" BB upgrade.

None of my business but it is well known that the 510 cams are soft on the bottom for this converstion; there are better can choices for the 95" upgrade. With stock heads and a .030" head gasket compression will be well below your target of 9.7,which is a good target but yours will come in about 9.4. The '02 valve springs limit cam lift to .525' which also limits cam selection. The SE204, I know, a Harely cam but also very underrated, IMHO would be a better choice. The Andrews 26 or S&S 509 would work as well. You haven't mentioned head work but I assume that the heads will be inspected and cleaned up and guide seals replaced and a valve job, hopefully multi angle, and if so, consider replacing the valve springs with the '05 up beehive springs that will accommodate up to .600" valve lift which will open up cam selection.

You haven't said if the bike is EFI or carbed. If carbed, you should consider a programmable ignition like the Daytona Twin Tech TC-88. If EFI, a dyno tune.

Why stop at 95"? Why not bore to 98"? The extra three cubic inches is free.

Apologies if I have over stepped but just thought I would provide some food for thought.

Old 06-15-2023, 03:19 PM
02fx
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Djl, you are a fountain of knowledge. FYI Big Boyz will be doing a street port and valve job, trying to go economically as possible. Do S&S 510 cams work better than stock at low RPM? I'm not opposed to 509. I have a Pro pipe and a Mikuni 42, just looking for an everyday rider pump gas. Also, every picture of every piston Screamin Eagle 95 inch cast I see on eBay has part number 22114-99A 1550 stamped on it. I was wondering is that the piston part number and 22851-99A is a full kit number. Thank you

Old 06-15-2023, 06:40 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Since you asked and have provided some more information, I am going to get further into the weeds. You can do whatever you want with the information.

The 2022 SE Performance catalog lists the 3.875" bore, cast flat top piston as PN 22851-99A so that PN is not the full kit. If you Google the 22114-99 PN, it will also come up as that flat top piston. The SE Performance catalog dosn't list a 22114-99 piston; maybe an old PN, don't know but if I was ordering I would order the 22851-pp PN.

You are focused on static compression which is just a number. Two compression numbers to pay attention to are corrected CR and CCP. As a general rule for a daily driver on pump gas, 9.6 corrected and CCP at 195psi are manageable. At a 3.875" bore, 85cc chambers and a flat top piston, you will see corrected compression at about 8.9 and CCP at about 180psi with any of the cams refernced previously excpet the 509. That cam's earlier intake close will bring corrected CR up to 9.2 and CCP up to 190psi and off idle torque will definitely improve. So, if you are stuck on flat top pistons, I don't think you will see much improvemenat low rpms over stock without the 509 cams.

I suggest that you talk to Bean about replacing the '02 valve springs with the '05 up beehives. Even if you don't run a higer lift cam now, you will have the option in the future. There are a few cams with early intake closes like the S&S 551 and 583 that would work well in that situation.

The other option you have is a domed piston, say a 3cc or 6cc domed piston. IIRC, HD has two forged pistons, a 5cc and 6cc. CP/Carillo offers a 3cc and 6cc dome forged piston.

I am not trying to confuse and I could go on and on but the point I am trying to make is that you have all the components of a decent build but if you don't get compression up as previously mentioned, you most likely won't be happy with the build. So, apologies if I have over stepped, just want to see you get the best return on the invested cash and labor.

If you haven't done it, pull up the BigBoyz compression calculator and input your data. Play around with your baseline of a flat top piston and different cams and look at the corrected CR and CCP numbers. Forget about static and shoot for 9.6 corrected and CCP 190-195psi. Do the same by changing the piston dome volume and keep playing with it until you have satisfied yourself with a combination that you are comfortable with. Do not be afraid of compression. My last 98" build is running fine at 11.25 static. corrected CR at 10:1 and CCP at 213psi and makes 115/115 numbers. It is an EFI bike and I would not suggest to run that same compression on a carbed bike; to difficult to tune.

FIY, one of my first 95" build back in '05 was with Beans street port, SE 204 cams and V&H Sideshots (not the best) but the heads had been decked to 80cc and static set at 9.8 which is, IMHO, the max for the SE204 but put corrected and CCP where I wanted. That motor made 104TQ/96HP which was not too shabby in '05; so much has changed since thein. I did have to run premium fuel in the hot south Texas summers to avoid detonation and eventually had to replace the 204s with Andrew TW44 which had a similar profile to the 204 but with a little later intake close. Gave up a little low end and gained a little up topbu solved the detonation issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I also think Bean is a goud source for discussing various options, if you can get him on the phone.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:44 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,014 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
snip

I suggest that you talk to Bean about replacing the '02 valve springs with the '05 up beehives. Even if you don't run a higer lift cam now, you will have the option in the future. There are a few cams with early intake closes like the S&S 551 and 583 that would work well in that situation.

snip
One thing to note is that you can't use 05 up beehives on a earlier motor without changing the collar and keepers as the later springs are used with 7mm valves and the 02 motors use 5/16 valves. It's not the valve springs that limit the lifter but the valve guides.. Depending on the seal used, the colar will hit the seal.. Guides need to be cut down and at that point might as well use aftermarket beehives.

I think some of this discussion is going off the deep end.. A bit of mission creep.. If you add this or that the cost goes up.. 98 pistons are 50 to 100 % more expensive.

In trying to get a little more out of a 02, being carbed, it will need an ignition. I would use the DDT as suggested tho OP might get away with a Dynatech. In doing a minimal build, I'd use the cast SE pistons and go with something like the andrews 26 cam. The ignition will likely put OP over budget. Use an 0.030 head gasket..

I would not use the SnS 510 with a propipe. Will loose low end for sure.. Especially if BB opens up the exhaust port much.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:44 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Max, I don't disagree with anything you posted but I was trying to give the OP as many options as possible and got into the weeds. I was not aware that machine work was requird to make the conversion from the early double wound springs to the later beehives; I forgot the different valve sizes. Both the OP and I now know what's involved to make that change. Thanks for pointing that out.

You have confirmed everything I posted in my first post; 510 soft on the bottom; 030"head gaket. cam selection and the inclusion of a programmable ignition.. However, if it were me, I would be looking for more compression than just the .030" head gasket provides. Corrected CR at 8.9 and CCP just under 180psi would not cut if for me.

Last edited by djl; 06-16-2023 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:48 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Max, I don't disagree with anything you posted but I was trying to give the OP as many options as possible and got into the weeds. I was not aware that machine work was requird to make the conversion from the early double wound springs to the later beehives; I forgot the different valve sizes. Both the OP and I now know what's involved to make that change. Thanks for pointing that out.

You have confirmed everything I posted in my first post; 510 soft on the bottom; 030"head gaket. cam selection and the inclusion of a programmable ignition.. However, if it were me, I would be looking for more compression than just the .030" head gasket provides. Corrected CR at 8.9 and CCP just under 180psi would not cut if for me.

If you buy aftermarket beehive springs or even dual springs you really don't need to machine anything unless you want to go for more lift..

In keeping with the low cost why not have BB mill the heads? There used to be SE 10.25 cast pistons that could be used to bump the CR but I don't think they are available anymore.. WFO larry sells KB forged 95 ci 0.040" over pistons with domes pretty reasonable.. Still they are less than what full 98 pistons cost. Gets you 2/3 of the way from a 95 to 98..

Last edited by Max Headflow; 06-16-2023 at 08:49 AM. Reason: less
Old 06-16-2023, 11:04 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

The only reason the later beehives were suggested was for more lift so machining would be required and I agree, OTT based on what the OP has posted; I just got carried away.

I think I suggested decking the heads as I had Bean do many years ago with my first 95" build; I just had Bean take too large a cut and resulted in compression above a level the SE 204 cams could live with once ambient temps approached 100*which is pretty common during July and August in south Texas. The build was done in the fall so the ping didn't start until the following summer but I digress. A .035" cut would get chambers to 80cc and decent and manageable compression with the Adrews 26 with no intake fitment isues. A nice performance bump over stock which I believe is all the OP is lookng for. I still think a progammable ignition should be part of the plan if budget allows.

I think the piston you make refernce to is/was the 10.5 forged piston with a 6cc dome for the 4" stroke motor, PN 22868-00A; don't know if it is available now. Surdyke shows it available for $363. CP Carillo has a 4.6cc dome piston but they run $400+.

Anyway, I think the OP had plenty to think about and will decide what is best for his situation and I hope he let's us know what he does and how it turns out.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:36 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Just heard back from New Castle. The MoCo no longer allows them to sell "ourside" their geographic area.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:07 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Those prices are way too much... $240 free shipping.

10.0 to 1

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rd=KBC905C.040

9.25 to 1

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rd=KBC904C.040

These are forged 4032 0.040 over 95 pistons.. Cylinders can still be bored too 3.937 (98 ci) if worn out..

I used these in my 02 RK. The KBC906C.040 tho.. 10.5 to 1..

Quick Reply: Screaming eagle piston part numbers