Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Balancer is toast

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 05:33 PM
PaperBag
Banned
Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Balancer is toast

Took the 03 Anniversary Springer (TC88B) to the shop for a carb tune with the new mufflers and for the annual critical fasteners check, etc.

Apparently the rear counter balancer is toast. The tech told me to take it easy on the 40 mile drive home(!), if it let go, it could grenade the engine. He said the fix is either spend $$$ to repair (split cases, yadayada) or spend a few more $$$ for a replacement/crate engine. Am I being bamboozled?

I have limited skills and tools - there's no way I can do the repair myself. Any recommendations on a crate engine for an FXSTS? A few extra ponies wouldn't be a bad thing, but I want to keep the appearance of stock.

Last edited by PaperBag; 04-26-2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:41 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,842 Posts

I have no idea if yours is bad, But if you fix it, I would look at some power, if you are going through all the hassle of removing the engine from the frame. Atleast bore to 95". If the crank aslo has to get replaced stroke to 103?

How many miles? Summer is a crappy time to go through this. What about buy a bike and fix this as you ride it? Is there another model you like?

Old 04-26-2023, 05:49 PM
PaperBag
Banned

30K +/- miles. One positive thing I thought of is gear driven cams in a new engine, and a 95 would be nice.... I can't really afford a new-to-me bike at this point. Getting mine fixed will stress the checkbook as it is, but thanks for the suggestions.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:58 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Are you noticing anything funny? I have no clue how to check balancers. That might be something to google. Find out out if any sytmpoms or anything you can listen for.

Maybe get some take off cylinders off ebay and have bored, can maybe speed this process up a little bit. If the garage has everything, shouldn't be without bike more than week or two. But it is going to cost.

Maybe get second opinion or research how to tell. Think about what you want, so you can talk to shop and order parts. I would read up on what is involved.

Seems very low miles to me. Almost 20 years old but low miles.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:24 PM
PaperBag
Banned

The tech pointed out a cyclical clunking noise that, while I hadn't really noticed it before, when he did, it was noticeable THEN. The rest of the engine seems to be ok. To fix the counter balancer, from what I was told, the engine has to come out of the frame and the cases split. If I'm getting the engine out for $XXX, for a bit more $XX, I might put in a NEW one with more displacement and the aforementioned gear drive cams. At least, that's what I'm thinking now.

Any suggestions on a crate motor to fit?

Old 04-26-2023, 09:46 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

You might as well bore. I would port heads and cams. If the crank can be fixed you want the extra expense? Probably another $15-1700 for the crank. I had my crank out last year. Harley mechanic kinda talked me out of it, by saying beef up engine, need to beef up tranny. Some say TC88 was built to go to 100". Of course it depends on how you ride, and how often you get on it.

I was temped to go 103", in the end money was a thought too. Obviously many people go big, I chose not to with this bike.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:59 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

S&S is the obvious choice for a complete crate motor but the MoCo's Long Block program is worth a look; replacement long blocks start at about $3.5K and upgrades to 95" and/or 103" are available. Replacement has to be done through a dealer to get the warranty. Longblocks are sold without cam shafts, lower rocker boxes, upper rocker box covers, or cam cover but the owner can install those from the motor being replace. The MoCo also offers financing for longblock replacements.

I suspect that a repair to relace the balancer assembly only, no upgrades would be the cheapest route; maybe $2.5K Longblock back to 88" is probably going to run between $5-5.5K S&S crate motor will probably run about $7K for the motor, plus shipping, plus installation; gonna be pushing $10K I suspect out the door. I am pulling these gestimates out of the air so they could be off but should give the OP an order of magnitude of the available options.

If the OP is looking to repair and upgrade, do a deep dive into the HD Long Block program and options. JMHO.

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:13 PM
03fattyaz
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 455 Likes on 224 Posts

If money is tight I would look into getting a running motor from a salvage. Copart maybe.

M Oclaf (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:37 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

If you get a motor from Harley are you stuck with epa compliant engine?

Rollbar (05-04-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 01:03 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
If you get a motor from Harley are you stuck with epa compliant engine?
The long block is covered by a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty which, I suspect, would be voided the same as the factory warranty if certain modifications were made. However, since the OP's current motor configuration is a TC88 he can upgrade to 95" or 103" displacement and select from a variety of Screaming Eagle components for additonal cost; it's all menu driven after seleting the basic long block configuration and the new configuration would be covered byt the long block warranty. Additionally, the '99-'06 long blocks have been upgraded to the later hydraulic/roller chain tensioners, higer capacity oil pump and billet cam plate. All in all, truly worth taking a look at the long block program.

If I were the OP, I would have the dealer pull the motor, verify that the balancer assembly is in fact "toast", provide an estimate to repair. The OP, having done his homework on the Long Block program options will be sufficiently informed to make a decision to repair or go with a long block. The long block will be more expensive and the OP will have to decide if the value added is worth the additional expense. The MoCo financing option may also play into the OPs decision. I think S&S option will cost more than the OP is prepared to spend. As usual, JMHO.

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ne...ement-program/

Last edited by djl; 04-27-2023 at 01:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
eighteight (04-28-2023), PaperBag (04-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Balancer is toast