Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Balancer is toast

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 09:36 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
SnS does not produce a counterbalanced motor for softails. No one makes a gear drive conversion for the counterbalancers.

Nothing wrong with the new left bearing setup if the latest bearing is used. The 03 bearing had issues if you built the motor.
By gear drive I meant the spring timing tensioners, not the balancers. If he is going to open this up he should do something about those one way or other, Money no problem I would do timken conversion, 95" with ported heads and cams. But seldom is money no problem.

But I would think strongly about non harley non epa.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:48 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
By gear drive I meant the spring timing tensioners, not the balancers. If he is going to open this up he should do something about those one way or other, Money no problem I would do timken conversion, 95" with ported heads and cams. But seldom is money no problem.

But I would think strongly about non harley non epa.

What are timing tensioners? Timing is set by notches on the flywheel on a TC (or later BT).

What does ?non harley non epa" mean?

I've got a 07 EGC with 116 miles on it, 65000 as a stage 4 103 and 3500 as 107. Bottom end still stock.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:11 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

What are timing tensioners? Timing is set by notches on the flywheel on a TC (or later BT).

What does ?non harley non epa" mean?

I've got a 07 EGC with 116 miles on it, 65000 as a stage 4 103 and 3500 as 107. Bottom end still stock.
You know damn well what I mean, just want to be dick, for some the sake of it.

Also I would spend all this money for a factory EPA compliant engine.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

You know damn well what I mean, just want to be dick, for some the sake of it.

Also I would spend all this money for a factory EPA compliant engine.
Maybe you should try and proofread what you write or are we supposed to interpret what you say?

I have an 07 and no issues with overheating, I did replace the mainshaft seal at about 90000 since I was in there tho. I've smoked a main shaft seal on a 113 ci evo.. My fault.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:27 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Maybe you should try and proofread what you write or are we supposed to interpret what you say?

I have an 07 and no issues with overheating, I did replace the mainshaft seal at about 90000 since I was in there tho. I've smoked a main shaft seal on a 113 ci evo.. My fault.
Ha Ha Ha.

When have I ever said my 2007 over heats? I said it is hotter. I said EPA regulations changed in power sport industry, I don't know about autos. 2006 was last year of carbs, was part of this.

But no where have I wrote my 2007 over heated. So I guess you need to learn to proofhead. Try finding someone who has rode harleys for a years, that willnot say they got hotter. Some is bigger engines, some is emmissions. Both I wrote in another post.

But nowhere have I said over heats. And I did not bring it up in this thread.

Last edited by Rounders; 05-01-2023 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:31 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

M

I have I did replace the mainshaft seal at about 90000 since I was in there tho. I've smoked a main shaft seal on a 113 ci evo.. My fault.
My stator shaft seal, the seal behind the stator, was leaking. Not sure if you mean that or tranny. I am not sure if this is because run out, or just bad luck. My engine with timken, I replaced at 90, since I had crank out. 2 bikes is hard to say a pattern, but I wonder.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:37 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I have an 07 and no issues with overheating, lt.
I am thinking you mean my references in this other thread. No where did I say over heat. But even before 2007 changes, if I was going to spend all this money I would not want an enginge that meets factory emmissions if I was spending all this labor and money
Elaborate with what you do not agree. Surely not that 2007 was a turning year for EPA in motorsports. 2006 last year of carbs in big twins. Not sue XLs.
2007 was start of many enviromental regulations across many motor industries. My 96" is hot too. I don't have lowers on my 95" anymore, but as soon as I got my 96" the whole bike even the primary seemed warmer. I had plans to some day cam and tune it, for heat, but years pass.

My 96 also had a bad sprocket shaft seal, which I wonder was due to lack of timken bearing. Though who knows, things happen.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:48 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Ha Ha Ha.

When have I ever said my 2007 over heats? I said it is hotter. I said EPA regulations changed in power sport industry, I don't know about autos. 2006 was last year of carbs, was part of this.

But no where have I wrote my 2007 over heated. So I guess you need to learn to proofhead. Try finding someone who has rode harleys for a years, that willnot say they got hotter. Some is bigger engines, some is emmissions. Both I wrote in another post.

But nowhere have I said over heats. And I did not bring it up in this thread.

You seem to imply that the motor ran hotter but you are right. The non timken bearing did it.. Not sure how. I was guessing you were thinking it caused heat since the primary ran hotter. Don't know.

BTW. Not all HD were carbed before 2007.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 05-01-2023 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:55 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

You seem to imply that the motor ran hotter but you are right. The non timken bearing did it.. Not sure how. I was guessing you were thinking it caused heat since the primary ran hotter. Don't know.

Huh?
No heat is seperate issue due to emmission laws that changed in 2007, which I explained many times. 2006 was the last year of carbs in big twins. I thought the got rid of the carbs in XLs before that, in an order to reduce fleet emmissions, but I can't remember. Since XLs account for a lot bikes sold.

Why would timken bearing, which final year have anything to do with heat in 2007? I was just commenting how I notice my primary runs hotter on my 2007, I notice that when parking. Again back to 2007 and emmission laws that changed through out many gas engines.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:57 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Y

Is this one of the dumbest things you have wrote? Not sure what you are getting at? Of course not. They came both carbed and MM since late 90s, and delpi on softails in 2001 and rest in 2002. Hence 2002 is good year for touring bikes, delphi and last year of timken bearing. Back then it tas a sought after year to build.

Quick Reply: Balancer is toast