Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

88” cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 05:44 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

The "ticking" is pretty subjective depending on the sensitivity of the listener but having listened to many stock and modified Harley vtwins, I have to say no; all twin cams do not tick. Rocker Lockers are desinged to solve a specific problem which is not valve train lash but is the rocker shaft bolts rotating in the support plate boss. To to the Rocker Locker website to undersstand the problem and then check your rocker shaft bolts for witness marks of the rotation; no marks, no Rocker Lockers but if the marks are there, Rocker Lockers will solve that problem.
Technically it's the rocker shaft hitting the rocker tower bolts..

I really don't see anything wrong with going to a 95 ci motor. IIRC the HD cast pistons are a bit cheaper than 98 ci as the 98s are typically forged. Don't know if you can still get the SE pistons tho..

BTW WFO larry can get you good KB forged pistons 0.040 over 95 for a good price. You can get them along with the new lifters.. Not sure KB is doing 98s yet..

Old 04-22-2023, 05:45 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
If it has any miles id do inner and out cam bearings and lifters while open.

95" cammed and ported is a great bike. Id consider waiting. Save money by not using adjustable pushrods and do 95". But it is easy when not my time and money.
06 dyna don't have outer cam bearings..

Old 04-22-2023, 06:09 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by weee123
Don’t all twin cams tick naturally? Are the rocker lockers necessary?
Have a look around my website, explains a lot about my extensive research into the top end tapping problem, and the world's only PATENTED solution. Don't be fooled by imitations
__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-22-2023, 06:13 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,842 Posts

delete

Last edited by Rounders; 04-22-2023 at 07:31 PM. Reason: delete
Old 04-23-2023, 10:09 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Technically it's the rocker shaft hitting the rocker tower bolts..I really don't see anything wrong with going to a 95 ci motor. IIRC the HD cast pistons are a bit cheaper than 98 ci as the 98s are typically forged. Don't know if you can still get the SE pistons tho..BTW WFO larry can get you good KB forged pistons 0.040 over 95 for a good price. You can get them along with the new lifters.. Not sure KB is doing 98s yet..
Max is right; my terminology is wrong but visit the Rocker Locker website to understand the issue.

I don't see anything wrong with a 95" motor but why, when an extra 3" is almost free? CP has a variety of pistons for the 98" configuration; flat top and domed.

Old 04-23-2023, 11:18 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I first did 98" nikal sil. Would not do it again. After 50k it had scaring, and the cost to replate is about the cost of new. So I bored orginally over to 95". When they get worn it will be cheap to bore.010 over. I did it over the winter, so if there is a diffrence, I can't tell. Maybe it I drove them back to back.

IMO bore 88, to whatever you choose, is a great option. Non epa has more power than many factory bikes. 95" is tried and true.

Its cheaper to bore stock too.

Old 04-23-2023, 01:07 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
I first did 98" nikal sil. Would not do it again. After 50k it had scaring, and the cost to replate is about the cost of new. So I bored orginally over to 95". When they get worn it will be cheap to bore.010 over. I did it over the winter, so if there is a diffrence, I can't tell. Maybe it I drove them back to back.

IMO bore 88, to whatever you choose, is a great option. Non epa has more power than many factory bikes. 95" is tried and true.

Its cheaper to bore stock too.
Boring to 98" was not your problem; nikasil was the problem and many experienced the same thing.; the fad didn't last long. 98" is also tried and true. Been around for at least 10 years IIRC and all the naysayers have been proven wrong.

"Cheaper to bore stock"? What does that mean?

No disrespect intended and I agree that the OP can make his own choice but I just don't see any downside to bore to 98 as you seem to. JMHO.

Old 04-23-2023, 03:39 PM
weee123
Intermediate
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

So no outer cam bearings on my dyna just inners? So if the 98” is just as reliable and proven as the 95” with more hp I might as well just go that route then. I read a bunch about the 95” being best bang for the buck so that’s why I originally wanted to go that route. I definitely will look further into the rocker lockers and check out that website

The following users liked this post:
lightweight bob (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 08:55 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Boring to 98" was not your problem; nikasil was the problem and many experienced the same thing.;
My first build was nikal sil 98". It was to expensive to replate. So I bored stock cyilnders to 95" This give plenty of meat to bore again.

I didn't want to bore over 95". Though I realize people do it now, and as acceptable, I guess.

Old 04-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by weee123
So no outer cam bearings on my dyna just inners? ite
I have not had a hydraullic apart. But isn't there the needle bearings at the end of the cam, as it goes into the block, and front and rear cam bearins in the cam plate?

Quick Reply: 88” cam swap