Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

It's just too loud

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 06:46 AM
PaperBag
Banned
Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Good morning, 60. I know the stock cans are more restrictive, and my "performance" numbers may decrease. Who knows - after next season, I might opt for a less restrictive set! Anyway, liking the stock look, I bought the ones I found online, and they're here. See photos. Notice the seller didn't take the crossover port gaskets out? If these cans were used, it was maybe once? For less than $70 including shipping, I figure basically new ones were worth the experiment. No dents, no scratches. They even included the heat shield.

My issue is/was that the noise has compromised my hearing, which had problems to begin with AND was making it WORSE. Frankly, I don't have to have the biggest, baddest, LOUDEST! or fastest bike on the block. I also love to hear my grandbabies say "I love you, Papou!" I suffer from tinnitus because I was stupid in my yute and didn't take adequate steps to protect my hearing. Shucks, son, I didn't expect to live past 30, and now I've more than doubled that....

If I have enough ponies to get my old lady and myself up over the hill and down the road, I've got enough. 88 cubic inches oughta do that trick pretty well, especially without the tupperware like on a bagger. I don't race on the street, and taking the springer to a track day might be instructive to a certain degree, but I don't beat on my machinery anymore, LOL!

I'll post disassembly/assembly photos when I do the work, and once it's together, I'll try to back it up to the cellar door and give it a listen. Stay tuned!

Old 11-22-2022, 06:51 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Khrome Werks used to make a tapered muffler that looks like the stock ones. They have a noise reduction kit as well.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:45 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Khrome Werks used to make a tapered muffler that looks like the stock ones. They have a noise reduction kit as well.
They perform great too. One of my favorites but in the slash cut.
Not too loud. Nice low rumble at idle but bark when opened up
Any noise reduction kit would kill that performance but if that's what he wants....

Last edited by 60Gunner; 11-22-2022 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:40 PM
PaperBag
Banned
Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Alrighty then!

I pulled the stock/"modified" mufflers. Had a devil of a time getting the rear one free from the exhaust pipe, but managed to succeed. A little Liquid Wrench and some persuasion with my rubber mallet helped. I ended up having to pull the exhaust pipe from the rear cylinder to remove it by clamping it down and PULLING.

I tied the clamp up out of the way.

Looking though the old ones from the rear end shows a straight-through shot - baffles gone!

After a reinstalling the exhaust pipe, a wrestling match with the assembled mufflers/crossover tube to mate up with the exhaust pipes was in order, LOL, and the install was complete. Yes, I did use new gaskets and clamps!

I backed it up to the cellar door and started her up.

HA!
HAHAHAHAHA!

Yes. This is what I was after. Much more quiet. Yay! I let it run for a few minutes to see if I could hear any leaks, but it sounded pretty much as I expected. I'm looking forward to having it tuned in the spring. THEN, I'll make decisions about what I might do to better performance, *IF* necessary after some serious riding. As I intimated before, I'm not into performance for it's own sake, but only if I warrant that I NEED more. And as always, cost v benefits is a thing.

Now on to other mods. I have to upgrade the headlight, and am leaning towards this: https://www.customdynamics.com/575-l...ailsAndFitment. The stock unit sucks.

I'm also looking at an oil cooler: https://jagg.com/collections/harley-...ucts/deluxe-hd.

After those, I'm likely done with mods for a while.

Thanks to all those who made constructive comments - I really appreciate the collective wisdom here.

Last edited by PaperBag; 12-29-2022 at 07:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PaperBag:
cycleman11 (01-31-2023), Fat11Lo (12-31-2022)