Twin Cam base O-ring leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 12:15 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Smar84
So it was a easy job? Did you have to disassemble the pistons as well? Not finding a lot of info. I do have a manual downloaded and have been reading it over. I know the basics just not sure if I want to tackle this.
If you are careful, you can leave the pistons in the cylinders which will make things a bit easier. You just have to close up the cyliner case openings to prevent a piston pin retainer from ending up in the crankcase and hope the pin pushes out without much resistance.

The following users liked this post:
Fxd_king (11-07-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 02:20 PM
Stinger1
Road Master
Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Plenty of youtube videos out there to help you along.
I went ahead and honed the cylinders and put on new piston rings while I had it apart.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:47 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Did you re-torque the bolts that hold the two halves of the case together? There's one that runs right in the valley of the cylinders. I'd clean the entire motor really well and be 100 percent sure that that is where the leak is. While it's not a huge job it is still a job that requires some mechanical skills, tools and a factory service manual. First time in is a learning experience after that you pick up a few tricks that can make it easier. I would definitely wait for winter if you have winter...its a great time to think about adding a big bore or some cams.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:03 PM
Smar84
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Did you re-torque the bolts that hold the two halves of the case together? There's one that runs right in the valley of the cylinders. I'd clean the entire motor really well and be 100 percent sure that that is where the leak is. While it's not a huge job it is still a job that requires some mechanical skills, tools and a factory service manual. First time in is a learning experience after that you pick up a few tricks that can make it easier. I would definitely wait for winter if you have winter...its a great time to think about adding a big bore or some cams.

Definitely plan on doing a big bore kit with cams, probably gonna wait till spring. The leak has not gotten any worse. I did check the torque on the top case bolt and it’s within spec. It seems to seep more when it’s just parked or cooling down after a ride. Either way it’s not that bad where I had to stop riding it. Problem I am having is finding a reputable Indy dealer to do the work. Or I may just get the Manual and try to repair it myself. Haven’t decided.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:10 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Smar84
Definitely plan on doing a big bore kit with cams, probably gonna wait till spring. The leak has not gotten any worse. I did check the torque on the top case bolt and it’s within spec. It seems to seep more when it’s just parked or cooling down after a ride. Either way it’s not that bad where I had to stop riding it. Problem I am having is finding a reputable Indy dealer to do the work. Or I may just get the Manual and try to repair it myself. Haven’t decided.
where in Massachusetts are you? There's a good shop here in mechanicville New york. Joe's cycle...great guys and Joe is a good tuner. It's a long cold winter up here in our neck of the woods so don't be afraid to take care of it yourself. Decent mechanical skills, a factory service manual and people on this site to help and the hardest part will be getting any parts, gaskets etc that you need.

The following users liked this post:
Rogue8Man (11-21-2022)
Old 02-12-2023, 06:49 PM
SteveDotWorld
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The Cometic/Viton kit comes with the return o-rings in it.