Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

TC88B to 96", bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 06:36 PM
ironlast
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
@ironlast Just a couple of comments on your plan.

JMHO but splitting the cases for bearings and not having the OEM crank trued, balanced and plugged is a mistake. It would be a shame to build this new motor only to have the crank twist 5K miles down the road..

Have your heads worked so you can have them setup to play well with the total package. You want to build the motor around tha cams, not around a set of "off the shelf" heads.

Baker DD6 in lieu of the OD6 which have had issues.

HPI 55/58 throttle body

Stroke the motor; don't stop at 98" and here is why.
Last year I upgraded the 95" motor in my '05 Deuce to 98" with a target of 120/120 square numbers. Basically a top end rebuild with better heads, Kury 57mm throttle boddy, longer gear drive cams and higher compression. Figured my crank was OK and did not plan to go into the bottom end. However, on tear down, we found crank runout had grown from .0025" when I built the 95" several years ago to .0045". So knowing this new builld be stronger than 104TQ/96HP I had to choose between stroking or having my crank trued, balanced and plugged. Since my initial goal was to see if I could hit 120/120 with 98", I decided to have my crank addressed and build to 98". Long story short, after testing several pipes, cams and throttle bodies; 115/115 was the best we could do. Bike runs great, no issues with near 12:1 static, 10.0 corrected and 213psi CCP. but I can tell you from this experience that if you don't stroke the motor and build at least to 107", you will regret it. With a 4" cylinder/piston kit and the longer stroke, you can hit 110" and the additional cost once committed to splitting the cases for any reason, is marginal. No need to be concerned about reliability if compression is kept at a reasonable leve, say 9.3-9.6 corrected and CCP between 190-195psi; very manageable, fuel friendly and not a tuning challenge. Think about it; the 98" runs well, easily 100+/100+ on the dyno and after about 1000 miles and the "new" wears off, you are going to be wonder how much better it would have been had you spent just a bir more and build a bigger motor? I promise you that will happen.

When I built an all bore (4.125" x 4.00") motor for my '02 FLHT, I also had the OEM crank rebuild by Darkhorse after thinking about stroking and building a 117" motor. The 107" ran well (124TQ/110HP) but I always regretted not building the 117" motor.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. You are about to go down the rabbit hole so do the homework, listen to those that have "been there, done that" to avoid making decisions that you can't take back; do overs are very expensive.
Thoughtful review, thanks.

Can you expand a bit about the Baker OD6 Builder kit? I'm looking to maintain an OEM exterior appearance.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:46 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by ironlast
Thoughtful review, thanks. Can you expand a bit about the Baker OD6 Builder kit? I'm looking to maintain an OEM exterior appearance.
Not much to explain as it is a direct replacement for the OEM five speed. You can read details about features, etc. at the Baker Drivetrain website. It is a pretty straight forward install but more work on a softail than on a touring model or Dyna. Outer/innner primary have to come off as well as the oil tank; the R/R of the oil tank is messy and a PITA. So, it's important that the install go correctly; a do over won't be any fun.

As for exterior appearnce, there is not change but the Baker Drivetrain logo and OD6 stamped into the trap door.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:21 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I was not aware that Baker had a TQ/HP limit for the DD6 until I read tdrglide's post.ws
My buddy who is retired, said he strongky mentioned the tranny is going to go if you build up engine. And he said he had people blowing trannys. Makes sense , erngine sends power to tranny.

I rebuilt my tranny this winter, bearings seals, springs. Kept same gears.

I think a lot of it is how you ride. Guys that build engiones, build them to abuse quite often.
Originally Posted by sonny4
The very first thing I ordered when rebuilding my 2010 Fatboy was a new crank with proper bearings. Nonsense to build on original crank and bearings. e.
I considered S&S crank when rebuilding 01, even though it is a good year. I didn't. I kept it at 95". My 07, I may do crank. I really don't trust those years once you start adding power.

Last edited by Rounders; 07-17-2022 at 10:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sonny4 (07-18-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 10:28 PM
shaggieshapiro
Road Master
Received 669 Likes on 285 Posts

If you're going to do the work, split the cases. If not, leave the bottom end alone

Old 07-17-2022, 10:55 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by shaggieshapiro
If you're going to do the work, split the cases. If not, leave the bottom end alone
I split to just reseal, which is not hard. Little nerve racking applying sealand. But ended up taking apart and inspect crank, because I had a friend help. I had 87k on mine, and wanted to stop all leaks. Plus I never did it before.

shaggieshapiro (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 11:13 PM
ironlast
Novice

Originally Posted by djl
Not much to explain as it is a direct replacement for the OEM five speed. You can read details about features, etc. at the Baker Drivetrain website. It is a pretty straight forward install but more work on a softail than on a touring model or Dyna. Outer/innner primary have to come off as well as the oil tank; the R/R of the oil tank is messy and a PITA. So, it's important that the install go correctly; a do over won't be any fun.

As for exterior appearnce, there is not change but the Baker Drivetrain logo and OD6 stamped into the trap door.
From your post above "Baker DD6 in lieu of the OD6 which have had issues."

Can you elaborate please? Thanks!

Old 07-18-2022, 04:05 AM
tdrglide
Road Captain
Received 299 Likes on 224 Posts

Keep in mind your twin cam motor can happily turn 3500+ rpms all day long

The following 2 users liked this post by tdrglide:
ironlast (07-18-2022), Max Headflow (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 09:07 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

"JMHO but splitting the cases for bearings and not having the OEM crank trued, balanced and plugged is a mistake. It would be a shame to build this new motor only to have the crank twist 5K miles down the road" Totaly agree. If your willing to drop that 7 or 8K you can basically do the build i have done. About 10.1:1 compression, gear drive and hardly anyone will argue John and the boys at Darkhorse will build you as bullet proof bottom end as is possible. Toss in a reputable head port/ cylinder bore and your looking at a nice reliable 107 incher making 110 to 125 horses and torque depending on head job and cam. Like I said earlier, once you split the cases...rabbit hole.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:36 AM
ironlast
Novice

Originally Posted by JLOCKHART29
"JMHO but splitting the cases for bearings and not having the OEM crank trued, balanced and plugged is a mistake. It would be a shame to build this new motor only to have the crank twist 5K miles down the road" Totaly agree. If your willing to drop that 7 or 8K you can basically do the build i have done. About 10.1:1 compression, gear drive and hardly anyone will argue John and the boys at Darkhorse will build you as bullet proof bottom end as is possible. Toss in a reputable head port/ cylinder bore and your looking at a nice reliable 107 incher making 110 to 125 horses and torque depending on head job and cam. Like I said earlier, once you split the cases...rabbit hole.
Thats the plan. In for a pound, in for a tonne!

I’m still curious what issues the OD6 has vs the entire Baker tranny.

I’ve had this bike for 19 years and it’s bone stock.

I’m not selling unless I’m living under a bridge so I’m not opposed to spending on top to bottom quality, transmission and suspension upgrades will be done as well.

I’ve seen what quality suspension can do, and the Softail dream can get a bit squirrely with stick power.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:11 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by ironlast
From your post above "Baker DD6 in lieu of the OD6 which have had issues." Can you elaborate please? Thanks!
LIke I said in my previous. At the time I was making the decision to upgrade to a six speed, I was reading everything I could about Baker trannys. What I read were posts, not that many, from owners that had problems with the OD6 but I wasn't reading similar posts about DD6 problems so I went with the DD6. As I also said in my previous, Bert Baker's video suggests that a motor making more than 110TQ should "probably" go with the OD6.

When I built my 98" motor with a target of 120/120 numbers, I had already converted to the DD6; I did not see the Baker video until tdrglide posted information indicating that there might be a TQ or HP limit for the DD6. Am I freaking out becuase my 98" motor makes 115HP; no.. If I had seen the video before building the 98" would I have converted to the OD6; probably.

Also, as I said in my previous, if you build a 117" motor, the OD6 would be the right choice for a six speed coversion. Although I still don't understand how there could be that much difference in the construction of the DD6 that would make it unsuitable for higher torque applications.

ironlast (07-18-2022)

Quick Reply: TC88B to 96", bottom end?