Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Looking for some expert advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 02:15 AM
DinnyNZ
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice wanted 07 fxdci

So installed a cam kit cams ches new chains blah blah 583 easy start cams and was building oil pressure without plugs in and was turning over sweet (new starter) so I put the plugs in and went to fire it up, it fired and ran for about 2 seconds then abruptly stopped. Go to turn it over again and it won't budge. Took the plugs back out to see if it will change and nada still won't budge. Don't want to cause any damage all tolerances were checked and were fine as far as I can tell it was an unopened 96cu so any help of this has happened before would be much appreciated

Last edited by DinnyNZ; 06-14-2022 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:33 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 2,874 Posts

I read this ^ as a freshly assembled motor locked up.

Exploratory surgery is called for.

Sorry

Old 06-14-2022, 05:37 AM
DinnyNZ
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eighteight
I read this ^ as a freshly assembled motor locked up.

Exploratory surgery is called for.

Sorry
I suppose if it's a rookie mistake then Im curious if theres any main culprit to look for as it turns over no binding until attempting to run as I turned it over for a few minutes in bursts to make sure oils getting around. I had it apart again to check everything as far as timing and followed the s&s guide for the pushrod adjustment and nothing seemed out of the ordinary or different from what came out

Old 06-14-2022, 07:22 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

My guess would be cam timing off enough to tangle a valve. Didn't happen while cranking because the lifters weren't fully pumped up.

Start the motor, lifter pumps up, bang.

Another issue might be something left in the intake. Motor ate it..

One of the Cam chain sprockets bolts backed off or wasn't installed.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:29 PM
DinnyNZ
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
My guess would be cam timing off enough to tangle a valve. Didn't happen while cranking because the lifters weren't fully pumped up.

Start the motor, lifter pumps up, bang.

Another issue might be something left in the intake. Motor ate it..

One of the Cam chain sprockets bolts backed off or wasn't installed.
I had the lifters adjusted as specified by s&s video and even backed them off a bit after pulling back off to check it out. Intake wasn't removed so couldn't imagine anything in the motor. I had the dots lined up on the cams and on the sprockets all fine and did the adjustments on base circle etc took my time I guess I just don't understand how it can be so freely turning over and then just lock solid

Old 06-14-2022, 07:45 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DinnyNZ
I had the lifters adjusted as specified by s&s video and even backed them off a bit after pulling back off to check it out. Intake wasn't removed so couldn't imagine anything in the motor. I had the dots lined up on the cams and on the sprockets all fine and did the adjustments on base circle etc took my time I guess I just don't understand how it can be so freely turning over and then just lock solid
Another issue, could something the the primary gotten jammed up? You had to pull the cover to replace the starter.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:48 PM
DinnyNZ
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Another issue, could something the the primary gotten jammed up? You had to pull the cover to replace the starter.
nope didn't have to pull primary to replace starter just removed the two Allen bolts and held onto the small alignment bushing dowel things put back in in reverse order I have a video of it turning over fine just without plugs in to get some oil moving around as it had been sitting for a few days

Old 06-14-2022, 08:42 PM
DinnyNZ
1st Gear

Video of it turning over

Old 06-14-2022, 09:49 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

nope didn't have to pull primary to replace starter just removed the two Allen bolts and held onto the small alignment bushing dowel things put back in in reverse order I have a video of it turning over fine just without plugs in to get some oil moving around as it had been sitting for a few days
Yeah, You are right, You didn't state model or year..

Old 06-15-2022, 08:43 AM
sonny4
Road Master
Received 400 Likes on 228 Posts

So installed a cam kit cams ches new chains blah blah 583 easy start cams and was building oil pressure without plugs in and was turning over sweet (new starter) so I put the plugs in and went to fire it up, it fired and ran for about 2 seconds then abruptly stopped. Go to turn it over again and it won't budge. Took the plugs back out to see if it will change and nada still won't budge. Don't want to cause any damage all tolerances were checked and were fine as far as I can tell it was an unopened 96cu so any help of this has happened before would be much appreciated
Anytime I fire up a engine that has been worked on I do the same turn the motor by hand several times. When I start the engine for the first time I leave one plug in and one out. Then I start and kill the engine quickly. I do this several times. If everything checks out then I install all plugs and still just kick the motor on and off continually checking oil pressure. Upon reassembly of motor I apply a generous amount of assembly lupe.

Quick Reply: Looking for some expert advice