Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Crankshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 07:52 AM
Abandoned
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Crankshaft Question

Let me start this off by saying that this is not my bike I taking about and only going off what my brother is telling me but it isn't making sense, so I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I could chime in on it?
He just bought a 2010 road glide, we did an oil change on it last week. I notice when we pulled the derby cover off the primary, while the bike was upright on a lift, at least a 1/3 of a quart of oil poured out. Definitely was over filled previously. After the oil change it was running fine, no issues. He took it to HD to get dyno'd and they told him it felt like his clutch was slipping and they couldn't get an accurate result. When he went to leave the dealership the bike would start? Battery was completely dead. They told him it may be his stator or regulator since after jumping off the battery it was not charging?
Fast forward a few days later and he ripped it apart and found that the compensator was, in his words, beat up and not good. As well as the stator being fried. Sorry for all the details, just wanted to provide the chain of events leading up to this. After the compensator and stator were off, while waiting on the parts he told me that the crankshaft has play in it. Not side to side, like you could expect but in and out. He said if you pull and push on the crankshaft, you'll get about an 1/8" movement on it. This does not seem normal to me but then again I never tried to push and pull on the crank shaft before. Just wanted to make sure that this shouldn't be happening and if that's the case what could cause that?

Old 06-13-2022, 11:46 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

A lot more end play on the current roller bearings. My memory says 12 tho ish but not for certain.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:38 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Your buddy has to assemble all the parts onto the end of the crank and tighten the crank bolt before checking the axial play. The stackup sets the play.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
djl (06-13-2022), eighteight (06-15-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 02:04 PM
Abandoned
Road Captain

Are you talking about the play from side to side or up and down depending on how you look at it? What he is explaining to me is the crankshaft can be pulled in and out, Basically it can be pushed into the motor and pulled out with about an 1/8" of play?

Old 06-13-2022, 03:52 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Abandoned
Are you talking about the play from side to side or up and down depending on how you look at it? What he is explaining to me is the crankshaft can be pulled in and out, Basically it can be pushed into the motor and pulled out with about an 1/8" of play?
Axial play is along the axis of the crank. In space draw a line from one end of the crank to the other. Sprocket side to cam side. It will be a a play along that line.. In this case while sitting on the bike, left to right or verse visa. So yes as you say.

I repeat.

Your buddy has to assemble all the parts onto the end of the crank and tighten the crank bolt before checking the axial play.

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (06-15-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 09:30 AM
Abandoned
Road Captain

Thank you for explaining it all, I'll have him reassemble and then check it.