Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Engine oil going to crankcase during winter

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 03:11 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The only time the oil could get that high in the drawing is if the flywheels were not spinning. The rest of the time its being tossed around and it runs down into the pickup Good pic tho. It shows that draining the oil passage to check for sumping on a B motor will only tell if the motor is sumping badly.

You say 20 oz but how was it measured?

The A motor pulls oil directly off the flywheel. Might get half a quart. IIRC I get slightly less about 12 oz in a SnS case but they have a pretty big pickup area and a drain plug directly in the crankcase. I'll drain my DX on the next oil change. It has a drain plug in the bottom of the case.. Still the attempt is to minimize oil in the crankcase (dry sump).

Radial motors have a pickup that catches the oil, how much of it is in there?

For sure it ain't a dry motor. Gotta have some oil in there..
20oz came from the dip stick with the cam case side plus a calculation. The crank case calculation came from a volume from a model. I drew a 3d model in my CAM system from archs, lengths and widths I eyeballed by measurement.

But I agree, when spinning, its simply a dishwasher in there.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-04-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:15 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Interesting discussion, at least the OP got his answer early on, regardless of what all this is called....

IMHO.... There is a big difference between an engine sumping while it is running (like the M8s), and oil from a tank mounted above the engine sump, draining past the oil pump into the sump until the engine is started, like in the twin cam B engines... I know which one I'll take...

Plus, I always thought a dry sump engine, was any engine that stores the oil in a cavity other than the one shared with the engine crank.... the amounts of oil left in the "sump" are going to vary based on design, volumes, etc... I never heard a dry sump engine was determined by the amount of oil in the sump....

But then again, I'm not an engineer nor an internal combustion engine expert....

Old 05-06-2022, 07:11 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
Interesting discussion, at least the OP got his answer early on, regardless of what all this is called....

IMHO.... There is a big difference between an engine sumping while it is running (like the M8s), and oil from a tank mounted above the engine sump, draining past the oil pump into the sump until the engine is started, like in the twin cam B engines... I know which one I'll take...

Plus, I always thought a dry sump engine, was any engine that stores the oil in a cavity other than the one shared with the engine crank.... the amounts of oil left in the "sump" are going to vary based on design, volumes, etc... I never heard a dry sump engine was determined by the amount of oil in the sump....

But then again, I'm not an engineer nor an internal combustion engine expert....
Harley advertises it's engines as dry sump

From what I Google search, a dry sump gas motor is what you described. One that stores it's oil supply in a tank other the a sump below the motor. One with two oil pumps. I would personally consider a full dry sump motor to be 100% pressure lubricated. A TCb is not 100% that.

However, my term I referred to above for the TCb is just my term. Nothing more.

It has a lip section to retain oil for splash lube for the inner cam bearings.

It's in the service manual as such.

Did I somehow call your baby ugly or something.

If so, I apologize. Get over it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-06-2022 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:38 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

So you are saying that your TCb motor identifies as a wet sump even tho it is dry? Do we have special pronouns for motors now?

Old 05-07-2022, 07:02 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So you are saying that your TCb motor identifies as a wet sump even tho it is dry? Do we have special pronouns for motors now?

If you can't see thru or understand what this means in my previous post whatever you want.

And I quote.

However, my term I referred to above for the TCb is just my term. Nothing more.

Please put me on your ignore list.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-07-2022 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:34 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,183 Posts

Just bump the starter a few times. the oil will go back into the bag.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:20 AM
AKL1
Advanced
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I dont think a few times will do it.....

Old 05-07-2022, 09:13 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Just bump the starter a few times. the oil will go back into the bag.
Bumping the starter a few times won't do it. Start and let it idle until you can see good oil flow back into the tank. There won't be any flow at first, then it will start and be intermittent until it becomes constant.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:17 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

A couple minutes idling and all is well. Done it a half a dozen times now. The dual port scavenge of this pump works real well.
If max or his buddy ed like the stock pump and possibly sump at high rpm, that's their perogative. I've seen how this pump scavenges and I wouldn't switch back just for the wavy washer and MAYBE not sump when it sits for extended periods. That's just a minor annoyance.

Old 05-07-2022, 12:37 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
A couple minutes idling and all is well. Done it a half a dozen times now. The dual port scavenge of this pump works real well.
If max or his buddy ed like the stock pump and possibly sump at high rpm, that's their perogative. I've seen how this pump scavenges and I wouldn't switch back just for the wavy washer and MAYBE not sump when it sits for extended periods. That's just a minor annoyance.
Again, how fast do you have to ride the bike to get it to sump? Has yours ever sumped or do you just like the "trick" stuff? BTW blowing oil out the breather doesn't necessarily mean sumping.

It's all in whether it's needed or not.. 107? I don't see any signs of sumping in my 07 egc.. My 131 motor needed a dual scavenge gerotor pump as the Feuling couldn't handle the scavenging but it wasn't at high RPM that caused the issue. It was cruising on the freeway at 70 when the temps were above 90F, SnS gen1 cases. SnS 3 rotor corrected the issue.

Quick Reply: Engine oil going to crankcase during winter