Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Engine oil going to crankcase during winter

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 03:30 AM
AKL1
Advanced
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Signature done

Last edited by AKL1; 05-03-2022 at 03:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jackie Paper (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 06:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Originally Posted by AKL1
Signature done
Now an avitar please.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:10 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by AKL1
Hi.
After winter storing, all of my engine oil has gone from the oil tank to the engine. Itīs a TC88B, with a SE 95"-kit. Is this normal? It did so last year also, but during the 2021-driving season I had no problems with oil-level, oil-pressure or anything else. A mechanic I know says itīs completely normal. I guess the only two escape ways for the oil is the oil pump and perhaps the oil pressure relief valve.
Your mechanic is correct. If the bike is going to sit for extended periods of time, like through the winter, a pair of hose clamp pliers will prevent the emptying of the oil tank to the crank case.

Old 05-03-2022, 11:52 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Your mechanic is correct. If the bike is going to sit for extended periods of time, like through the winter, a pair of hose clamp pliers will prevent the emptying of the oil tank to the crank case.
The lines are steel. It's a 2006 Softail. They do have a short SS flex area but I sure would not use anything on it. It drains down. Starting it returns it.

AKL1 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 02:14 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
The lines are steel. It's a 2006 Softail. They do have a short SS flex area but I sure would not use anything on it. It drains down. Starting it returns it.
I know, one of my bikes is a 2005 FXSTD. There is a short rubber hose that connects the 90* elbow drain fitting at the back of the tank to the steel line to the crank case. Just enough room to manage a set of hose clamp pliers for a little "pinch" to prevent the tank fro draining. See #25 in the attached diagram.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:37 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
I know, one of my bikes is a 2005 FXSTD. There is a short rubber hose that connects the 90* elbow drain fitting at the back of the tank to the steel line to the crank case. Just enough room to manage a set of hose clamp pliers for a little "pinch" to prevent the tank fro draining. See #25 in the attached diagram.
I stand corrected. But I see little purpose in clamping it. That is the feed coming from the bottom. Sure don't want to leave it restricted or damaged if it's hard from age.

If I was **** about that, I would just wam up bike and drain the oil and refill it along with a new filter when one's riding season came in.

Just be sure to attach a huge note what needs to be done.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-03-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:49 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

The only purpose is to prevent oil from draining from the tank to the crank case. If that is an issue for the OP or another forum member, the hose clamp plier is a way to address the issue. That's all I am saying; one of those personal decisions we all make for our own reasons. I had a shoulder surgery a couple of years back and knew I would not be riding for months; I used a set of these pliers. No damage to the hose and you would have to be blind to take off on a ride without removing the pliers.

Lately, not riding as much, I just start her up and wait until I see high volume oil flow back into the tank before I take off.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:00 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Normal

A TCb is not a true dry-sump motor They always run about 1/2 quart or so in the sump.
So at what point is the a motor considered dry sump? There has to be a collection point for the oil.. 8 oz?

djl (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 07:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So at what point is the a motor considered dry sump? There has to be a collection point for the oil.. 8 oz?
My Vet is a true dry sump I think. Radial airplane engines.. Nothing is setting in oil.

But actually, when you drain the cam case side that is filled close to the crank bearings and the crankcase side, there's close to 20oz spinning around and constantly being recycled. Harley says in the 04 service manual it is used to lubricate the inner cam needle bearings.

But I just said that as a general opinion. A Harley is a dry-sump since the oil bag is separate if that's what distinguishes a dry sump. Since the sump is not under the crank.

That lip is not on TC motors after 2006 I was told. But it was a cruiser, not a TCb

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-03-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:27 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

The only time the oil could get that high in the drawing is if the flywheels were not spinning. The rest of the time its being tossed around and it runs down into the pickup Good pic tho. It shows that draining the oil passage to check for sumping on a B motor will only tell if the motor is sumping badly.

You say 20 oz but how was it measured?

The A motor pulls oil directly off the flywheel. Might get half a quart. IIRC I get slightly less about 12 oz in a SnS case but they have a pretty big pickup area and a drain plug directly in the crankcase. I'll drain my DX on the next oil change. It has a drain plug in the bottom of the case.. Still the attempt is to minimize oil in the crankcase (dry sump).

Radial motors have a pickup that catches the oil, how much of it is in there?

For sure it ain't a dry motor. Gotta have some oil in there..

Quick Reply: Engine oil going to crankcase during winter