Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Cam installed, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 07:00 PM
Tire_Fryer
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cam installed, few questions

I just finished installing a Woods 222 in my 2011 RGU 103". Install went good, took me about 5.5 hours total. I am running on a FuelMoto tune and PV1. Bike has stock header with no cat, S&S MK45s with dB reducers, SE air filter and now the cam.

On the first start it made a little lifter noise but quieted down in just a few seconds, after that it's as quiet as stock.

Noticed a few things, first the throttle by wire seems less responsive, like it has more dead space at idle, then takes more rotation to Rev it up. Gives the feeling the motor is less responsive. Wonder if this can be tuned.
Next, on the first ride, it seems to run pretty close to stock, I'm not feeling a lot more power. It has a different sound from the intake, and the exhaust is louder. Granted I only took one ride for 30 minutes and didn't beat it as I was looking for leaks and any weird sounds. I'm going to try and do 3 auto tunes before I bother FM.
Just don't understand how some guys post the bike is now doing wheelies or spinning the tire from a cam swap.

Most likely I'll be getting a dyno tune very soon which will probably address everything I noticed. I guess I was hoping for a more on the first ride.

Not bummed, just realize the job is not done until it gets dyno tuned.

Last edited by Tire_Fryer; 04-24-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:32 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

I’m running the 222’s in my 96”. I’m not familiar with your exhaust but I’m very pleased with my results. I’m running a 2/1 with a canned map from FM. One of the best upgrades I’ve done.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:29 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

I just put Andrews 48H in my 96'' along with a Powervision, got everything from Fuel Moto. I agree with you about the lag/dead spot just above idle, but when I get up to about 2800 rpm ( where the cam really gets going) it runs like a champ. i definetly notice my cam upgrade!! Been wondering if raising the idle rpm would help with that low blip???? I also notice that the bike wants to run at a higher rpm now, which makes sense beacuse the power is coming on at a higher rpm..

Last edited by Hammerhead Pat; 04-25-2022 at 03:33 AM. Reason: additional thought
Old 04-25-2022, 08:36 AM
Rocking_it
Road Master
Received 1,287 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
I just put Andrews 48H in my 96'' along with a Powervision, got everything from Fuel Moto. I agree with you about the lag/dead spot just above idle, but when I get up to about 2800 rpm ( where the cam really gets going) it runs like a champ. i definetly notice my cam upgrade!! Been wondering if raising the idle rpm would help with that low blip???? I also notice that the bike wants to run at a higher rpm now, which makes sense beacuse the power is coming on at a higher rpm..
Enjoy the cam. I put the 48 in mine last fall. Did you notice if your valve train got a little noisier? I hear more of a tick now after it warms up. Used the stock pushrods.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:37 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocking_it
Enjoy the cam. I put the 48 in mine last fall. Did you notice if your valve train got a little noisier? I hear more of a tick now after it warms up. Used the stock pushrods.
Still running OEM lifters?

The 48 cam base circle is a bit smaller than stock so, with sloppy factory tolerances, there could be a small amount of lash in the valve train stack up with stock pushrods. A set of adjustable pushrod or a set of +.030" HD pushrods or a set of made to fit fixed length pushrods from Smith Brothers should solve the issue.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:54 AM
Rocking_it
Road Master
Received 1,287 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Still running OEM lifters?

The 48 cam base circle is a bit smaller than stock so, with sloppy factory tolerances, there could be a small amount of lash in the valve train stack up with stock pushrods. A set of adjustable pushrod or a set of +.030" HD pushrods or a set of made to fit fixed length pushrods from Smith Brothers should solve the issue.
Thanks for the info. I put new Johnson Hylifts in. Just a slight tick but still annoying. Thinking of first experimenting with different oil from Mobil 1 20-50.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:05 AM
Tire_Fryer
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I am running the Mobil 1 20W-50 Twin oil and Woods alpha lifters, its every bit as quiet as stock, maybe more quiet.

@Hammerhead Pat Have you done any auto tune sessions yet?

I wouldn't mess with the idle speed, there are settings in the PV-1 for throttle blade but I can't access them, must have a restricted license or something. Supposedly you can tune out some of the dead area. I'd like to have the throttle set to a little more aggressive setting, so you don't have to twist so far to get into the meat of the power. Seems like my throttle turns almost a whole revolution.

The guys at FM told me I need to drive in a higher RPM band, I was lugging the motor from 2K and shifting around 3K normally, They told ne to stay in the upper 2000's and shift at 3500 or higher. Going to start doing that as well.

While I have the db reducers in my S&S MK45's (round pipe that goes into the baffle) I'm going to modify them so they look like the ones FM sells with the tongue sticking in the exhaust flow. I still don't think I have enough back pressure in my exhaust. Probably a mistake to buy a 4.5" slip on with a 2.5" baffle for such a small motor. They do have a nice deep sound though.

Going to do 3 auto tune sessions next, I've read people have had some good improvements.

Last edited by Tire_Fryer; 04-25-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:40 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rocking_it
I redid everything while in there, Woods night Prowler lifters along with FM adjustable pushrods, 4 turns on the pushrods like the instructions on the lifters said. I added Rockouts at the same time, my valvetrain is quiet!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Hammerhead Pat:
Rocking_it (04-25-2022), ROCKOUT Rocker Products (04-26-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 12:42 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tire_Fryer
I am running the Mobil 1 20W-50 Twin oil and Woods alpha lifters, its every bit as quiet as stock, maybe more quiet.

I wouldn't mess with the idle speed, there are settings in the PV-1 for throttle blade but I can't access them, must have a restricted license or something. Supposedly you can tune out some of the dead area. I'd like to have the throttle set to a little more aggressive setting, so you don't have to twist so far to get into the meat of the power. Seems like my throttle turns almost a whole revolution.

The guys at FM told me I need to drive in a higher RPM band, I was lugging the motor from 2K and shifting around 3K normally, They told ne to stay in the upper 2000's and shift at 3500 or higher. Going to start doing that as well.

While I have the db reducers in my S&S MK45's (round pipe that goes into the baffle) I'm going to modify them so they look like the ones FM sells with the tongue sticking in the exhaust flow. I still don't think I have enough back pressure in my exhaust. Probably a mistake to buy a 4.5" slip on with a 2.5" baffle for such a small motor. They do have a nice deep sound though.

Going to do 3 auto tune sessions next, I've read people have had some good improvements.
I have not done any auto tune sessions yet, going to have to figure out how to do those. About 600 miles on the cams, they really woke the bike up.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:34 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tire_Fryer

Just watched a video on youtube about doing an auto tune session. Curious why you are going to do 3 of them. Go with the one that runs the best or do they improve each time another is run?

Quick Reply: Cam installed, few questions