Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Poor flowing Trask air filter fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022 | 12:02 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member

Man. I’m glad I didn’t get this AC. Looks killer. But at that price. Which I’d gladly pay. I’d expect a quality filter. Good to see you guys have a fix. I’ll keep running the Ventilator until I decide on something else.

Old 05-22-2022 | 12:43 PM
60Gunner
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RFG7680
Man. I’m glad I didn’t get this AC. Looks killer. But at that price. Which I’d gladly pay. I’d expect a quality filter. Good to see you guys have a fix. I’ll keep running the Ventilator until I decide on something else.
Well the K&N, which you have to buy with a lot of ACs Including most SE ones, adds $60ish. It IS a killer AC otherwise and the built in magnetic velocity stack does work great AND covers the screws that attach the backplate to the TB which is a big + too.
I got mine for like $140 off retail at 2wheel.com too so I have no regrets. But I think for a supposed, dyno tested, top of the line AC they have an obligation to "make it right" when someone submits proof the filter caused a bottleneck like I did.
The ventilator is a big NO for me. Has to be round and not stick out a mile or interfere with my leg clearance. The choices then get a little slim and still perform.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 05-22-2022 at 01:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CHUDDLESTON (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022 | 02:25 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CHUDDLESTON
my 107" TC is a blueprint build with high flow custom ported heads that have oversized valves. When I have to run my rain cover on the filter, I notice a big decrease in power and an increase in heat due to load on the motor. In fact, I can tell when this crappy trask filter is getting clogged up based on how hot my motor is getting. I was astonished it makes that big of a difference too. I have a PowerVision with Target tune WB O2's and the bike was Dyno tuned by one of the best master techs in my area. I've even tried playing with the quick tune function to add a little fuel to the tune but it doesn't help either.
Ok it worked good at first but got worse as it clogged up? I can see that as it would push the tune into the cruise area.

Old 06-30-2022 | 11:03 AM
BamBam33
Stage I
Default K&N e-3226 didn’t seem to fit the m8 trask ac

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
E-3226 is a perfect fit.
I ordered that exact filter, and it almost fit, the arms weren’t long enough to fit. It looked like it fit perfectly in every way except it was about an 1/8 in. too wide. Is there a slight difference between the twin cam assault a/c, and the m8?

Old 07-01-2022 | 11:33 AM
60Gunner
|
Grand HDF Member

You might have to push on it somewhat the first time. Remember that outside edge isn't rounded from the ring of the AC yet. Take the small screws out. Get one arm started a few turns. Tip it if you have to. Then push on it to get another started. Draw them up tight a little at a time. Put the short ones in that are just for show.
if you look at the old filter you can see how the rubber is formed by the arms, screws, and cover.
This has to be done to the new one.

Old 08-13-2022 | 10:39 AM
KStewart
Intermediate

I have the trask A/C on my 2020 Breakout with a 128 big bore kit with the stock filter. I got great numbers and have not had any issue with it. I have two of the filters from trask. I keep one cleaned and red oiled up ready to go sitting and wicked out completely during the duration of how long the one i have on the bike is being used for. Sometimes I can make it until oil change and I swap it out with the backup or if it gets nasty I do it as needed and then I immediately clean it, oil it and let it wick sitting again until the one I just replaced is done. I can see possibly how you got the Amazon one to fit, because the pleats are just twisted up. That isnt an issue but I honestly get mine on square and perfect and tight secure without jacking up the pleats. I might take a stab at the K&N from Amazon but if I got to twist up the pleats to get to fit I will stick with the stock. I keep up with it and it takes minutes to change. I dont run it for 50K just cuz its oiled. When the redness gets almost gone and since I have a breakout without faring to block bugs from jamming into the front pleats ill replace it with my backup in minutes. I have a torque cam in my bike with my 128 buld so I get 130/149 and with the weight of a softail its lights out light to light and the trask looks cool while doing it. I had my velocity stack doughnut painted red so it makes it pop behind the window.

Old 08-13-2022 | 11:20 AM
KStewart
Intermediate

And also I forgot to add . That isn’t why your bike is running hot. If anything f it will run richer . Leaner is what is hotter unless your tune is not right. And for anyone who doesn’t know much about trasks air cleaner check out Moonshine Harley monster builds with 150-170 hp with a lot of them outfitted with Trasks air cleaner and stock element. Half my bike was built by them and I wanted the trask because I saw the results yielded on a lot of there builds using trask and those guys know there stuff .

Old 08-13-2022 | 02:20 PM
KStewart
Intermediate

And the reason you see differently thru the Amazon filter vs the trask stock is because the stock one has a metal screen . The Amazon one is just the element . The stock filter is fine for anyone worrying and check out moonshines Harley’s vids and you will see
Edit

Old 08-16-2022 | 11:24 AM
60Gunner
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by KStewart
And the reason you see differently thru the Amazon filter vs the trask stock is because the stock one has a metal screen . The Amazon one is just the element . The stock filter is fine for anyone worrying and check out moonshines Harley’s vids and you will see
Edit
Nope. Wrong. It's not the metal screen. I cut it out. You still can't see ANY daylight thru it! Who told you this? You obviously didn't see it for yourself because I DID!
Judging by your join date, I'd say you work for trask or are affiliated in some way and are here to BS everyone cuz your sales took a hit. If that's the case, I gave you a chance to make it right. I sent you the proof you asked for. You blew me off. Too bad for you.
Suck it up.
I don't know what Amazon filter you're referring too but it's not up to the flow of the k&N.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 08-16-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2022 | 01:33 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Nope. Wrong. It's not the metal screen. I cut it out. You still can't see ANY daylight thru it! Who told you this? You obviously didn't see it for yourself because I DID!
Judging by your join date, I'd say you work for trask or are affiliated in some way and are here to BS everyone cuz your sales took a hit. If that's the case, I gave you a chance to make it right. I sent you the proof you asked for. You blew me off. Too bad for you.
Suck it up.
I don't know what Amazon filter you're referring too but it's not up to the flow of the k&N.
Did you oil the trask filter?