Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Poor flowing Trask air filter fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022 | 06:32 AM
CHUDDLESTON
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
The cheap chinese filter that comes with the Trask Air Assault hit a wall at 120hp/5000rpm. Just got off the phone with K&N and we're 99.9% sure the K&N E-3226 is the exact fit replacement. On!y thing not 100% sure of is if the groove for the cover is actually 5 1/8" in diameter. Sure appears to be tho. He didn't have that spec available.
Dennis Kirk has them in stock and list them as fitting S&S E and G model carbs as well.
For anyone with a Trask air assault, this is the filter to run.

Trask was no help at all.

On another note, Bassani stood behind their pipes and an issue with the chrome finish. They don't have a set of the Pro Streets Turnouts in stock atm but are making some for me as we speak. No.questions asked and I can keep the old pipes. That's customer service at it's finest!.
Thanks for this info. I just ordered the K&N from Amazon and it will be at my house tomorrow! I have experienced increased engine temperatures due to the poor flowing air filter that comes with the A/C. we'll see how she does with this much better flowing filter in there. Ridin Dad YouTube channel switched to a totally different A/C setup for this same reason.

Old 05-07-2022 | 06:59 AM
60Gunner
|
Grand HDF Member

You'll notice the K&N is like night and day better flowing just looking at the two. The cheap chinese one is like everything else chinese. A cheap imitation made to LOOK like a K&N with it's red fabric. The difference is the K&N doesn't have red fabric. The oil makes it look red.

Old 05-07-2022 | 08:37 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CHUDDLESTON
Thanks for this info. I just ordered the K&N from Amazon and it will be at my house tomorrow! I have experienced increased engine temperatures due to the poor flowing air filter that comes with the A/C. we'll see how she does with this much better flowing filter in there. Ridin Dad YouTube channel switched to a totally different A/C setup for this same reason.

Now that is interesting. Seems to me that less air flow would mean less power. Less power would mean less heat.

Old 05-07-2022 | 08:42 AM
Zedbra
Road Warrior

My Trask filter isn't red, it's grey and goes red from oil. Thanks for the K&N info - I've been wanting a replacement filter and not the crummy Trask one again.

Old 05-07-2022 | 09:34 AM
60Gunner
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zedbra
My Trask filter isn't red, it's grey and goes red from oil. Thanks for the K&N info - I've been wanting a replacement filter and not the crummy Trask one again.
I heard they had 2 different filters but when I called they said didnt anymore.
Mine was red and oiless. We tried to wash it out just to be sure it wasn't oiled.
Trask suggested cutting the screen out but I knew that would be a waste of time.

Old 05-15-2022 | 09:32 PM
Zedbra
Road Warrior

New K&N installed, it came oiled and good for 50k (so they say)

New K&N

My old Trask filter after 2 seasons. Mine has the mesh inside and was just oiled 1000km ago. I couldn't find any markings on the filter

Trask filter after 2 seasons

Old 05-16-2022 | 07:47 AM
60Gunner
|
Grand HDF Member

Well.no one can say that trask filter doesn't catch ****. Just doesn't let enough air thru for builds with great flowing heads.
They asked about head flow and sounded surprised when I told them what mine flowed. They were hoping to blame head flow.

The following 2 users liked this post by 60Gunner:
CHUDDLESTON (05-22-2022), Zedbra (05-16-2022)
Old 05-21-2022 | 05:21 PM
CHUDDLESTON
Intermediate
Default oops.

I am here to report that the K&N filter I ordered based on the part number listed above (E-3226) did not fit my Assault A/C. The filter was too narrow and left a gap between it and the front chrome cover that screws into the stand-offs. @Zedbra - which model did you install? did the front cover get tight up against the filter seal similar to the Trask provided filter?
EDIT- well, after looking again, it seems I was sent the E-3225 filter instead and that must be the issue. my bad (or Amazon's, investigation continues)

Last edited by CHUDDLESTON; 05-21-2022 at 05:24 PM. Reason: error in info
Old 05-22-2022 | 06:25 AM
CHUDDLESTON
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Now that is interesting. Seems to me that less air flow would mean less power. Less power would mean less heat.
my 107" TC is a blueprint build with high flow custom ported heads that have oversized valves. When I have to run my rain cover on the filter, I notice a big decrease in power and an increase in heat due to load on the motor. In fact, I can tell when this crappy trask filter is getting clogged up based on how hot my motor is getting. I was astonished it makes that big of a difference too. I have a PowerVision with Target tune WB O2's and the bike was Dyno tuned by one of the best master techs in my area. I've even tried playing with the quick tune function to add a little fuel to the tune but it doesn't help either.

Old 05-22-2022 | 11:38 AM
60Gunner
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by CHUDDLESTON
I am here to report that the K&N filter I ordered based on the part number listed above (E-3226) did not fit my Assault A/C. The filter was too narrow and left a gap between it and the front chrome cover that screws into the stand-offs. @Zedbra - which model did you install? did the front cover get tight up against the filter seal similar to the Trask provided filter?
EDIT- well, after looking again, it seems I was sent the E-3225 filter instead and that must be the issue. my bad (or Amazon's, investigation continues)
E-3226 is a perfect fit.

The following users liked this post:
CHUDDLESTON (05-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Poor flowing Trask air filter fix