Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Yet another cam upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 07:17 PM
Tire_Fryer
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yet another cam upgrade question

Hi, been reading through a ton of threads on cam upgrades and think I have a plan.

My bike is an '11 Ultra 103", it's stage 1 now with S&S MK45's (no baffles), and the HD AC, stock header with CAT. It was supposedly tuned, but I have no tuner or record of what was done. I ride 2 up 99% of the time, mostly cruising through the mountains, not a ton of highway riding. I want more torque and throttle response, and a little more aggressive sound.

I am thinking I want to run an Andrews 48, it was either that or the Woods 222 but I don't see where the extra $100 will add anything for Woods. I would buy a PV tuner and use a tune from Fuel Moto for a while and then get a tune from a local shop if I think it needs it. I don't plan on getting a header, and am on the fence about gutting the cat. I will do all the work myself, except the dyno tune.

Going forward, I don't see cracking into the motor for any more power, we just cruise. I also don't want to destroy my gas mileage.

I was thinking about getting the PV first, with a tune for what I have and another tune for what I will have after I upgrade the cam.

Sound like a reasonable plan? Any suggestions?

Should I get the basic auto tune, or spring for the other tune modes on PV?

Old 03-23-2022, 04:24 AM
Tail Rid'r
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Look into the capabilities of a Redshift 528 as well, a little lower lift, but, low end torque. Your "No Baffles" aren't doing you any favors with low end torque, especially riding 2-up. I wouldn't hesitate to gut the cat on a twin cam.

Last edited by Tail Rid'r; 03-23-2022 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:18 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

I just put Andrews 48h's in my 2011 FLHR with a 96''. Got everything from FM ( Powervision set up by them for my setup ). I asked them about adding their full size crossover tube to my gutted headpipe and they did not recommend it , so I didn't. Reach out to them, they will guide you in the right direction.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:41 AM
MattLS6
Road Captain
Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

I think you're on the right track with your cam choices, both ought to fit the bill. I have the 48s in my 103" Softail and they are great. I wanted something very different than the more race oriented 250s/260s duration cams I run in my other bikes. Love the instant torque and throttle response, pulls great with my wife on the back, etc. I highly recommend for your intended usage.

I've used the PV FM tunes on a couple of cammed bikes, then auto tuned them in. Ran pretty good but overall drivability characteristics and power was enhanced once I got both dyno tuned by a reputable Harley tuner. I expected that going into it and I think others should as well. The narrow bands have their limitations.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:18 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Originally Posted by Tail Rid'r
Look into the capabilities of a Redshift 528 as well, a little lower lift, but, low end torque. Your "No Baffles" aren't doing you any favors with low end torque, especially riding 2-up. I wouldn't hesitate to gut the cat on a twin cam.

This ain't right.. how can you post a Dyno sheet of a built 107 to compare to Stock 103"er..
Agree to the no baffles, that ain't gonna help low end..

As for the 48 or 222, the 48 will come in a little sooner helping out in the mountains and the 222 will carry out a tad farther.. Both good cams for your riding.

Removing the cat would make for less heat and better performance but you will still need the baffles...

The following users liked this post:
bigal51 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 09:38 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts

Can’t go wrong with either. Studying the FuelMoto dyno sheets they’re nearly identical other than the 222 coming on/ having the meat of the power about 300rpm later than the 48. So pick the one that fits your riding a little better. if you’re really a laid back cruiser I’d go for the 48’s. If you’re a little more spirited, And carry some RPM if opt for the 222’s.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:46 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Tail Rid'r
Those do 525’s come on even earlier than the 48’s, but fall off fast. The 48’s and the 222’s all have right around 100ft/lb between 2000-2500rpm, But the 48’s and 222’s carry out better and have a lot more power “under the curve”

personally I think the 525’s are just a tad bit lame if you’re going to the cost to buy cams and trouble to swap and tune.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:40 AM
Tire_Fryer
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to make a separate post on the MK45's. I just got them and only did one long ride with them, they didn't have the baffles installed. The baffles look weird to me, they are a solid tube, no perforations. I'm going to give them a try and see how they sound and feel. Love the deep sound, and they perform identically to the fatshotz they replaced. My bike doesn't seem to be sensitive to the back pressure, I don't notice much change no matter what I do with slip ons.

I'm going to stick with the 48 or 222, they are so close I'll let the price be the decision. I am thinking S&S lifters and their quickie tubes and adjustable pushrods. Probably get the inner cam bearings and gaskets from Fuel Moto.

Think I'll buy another stock headpipe and gut that cat and keep my stock pipe in the attic, so I have something in the event Cali does another stupid smog thing and starts smog on bikes.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:40 PM
Rocking_it
Road Master
Received 1,287 Likes on 446 Posts

Delete

Old 03-23-2022, 01:43 PM
Rocking_it
Road Master
Received 1,287 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Tire_Fryer
I'm going to make a separate post on the MK45's. I just got them and only did one long ride with them, they didn't have the baffles installed. The baffles look weird to me, they are a solid tube, no perforations. I'm going to give them a try and see how they sound and feel. Love the deep sound, and they perform identically to the fatshotz they replaced. My bike doesn't seem to be sensitive to the back pressure, I don't notice much change no matter what I do with slip ons.

I'm going to stick with the 48 or 222, they are so close I'll let the price be the decision. I am thinking S&S lifters and their quickie tubes and adjustable pushrods. Probably get the inner cam bearings and gaskets from Fuel Moto.

Think I'll buy another stock headpipe and gut that cat and keep my stock pipe in the attic, so I have something in the event Cali does another stupid smog thing and starts smog on bikes.
Have you considered pulling the tank and rocker covers so that you can use the stock pushrods?

Quick Reply: Yet another cam upgrade question