Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Yet another cam upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 01:46 PM
Tire_Fryer
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocking_it
Have you considered pulling the tank and rocker covers so that you can use the stock pushrods?
Yes, but I see the fuel moto adjustable push rods use the stock push rod tubes, so I'll probably go that direction. I've had the tank off and that doesn't scare me, I won't be buying push rod tubes now that I know I can use the stock ones.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:05 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocking_it
Have you considered pulling the tank and rocker covers so that you can use the stock pushrods?
If you buy the HD cam service kit it will come with all the gaskets you need (including exhaust port gaskets ) and new breathers to install if you pull the rocker covers off. Would be a good time for a set of Rockouts as well.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 02:06 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Tire_Fryer
Yes, but I see the fuel moto adjustable push rods use the stock push rod tubes, so I'll probably go that direction. I've had the tank off and that doesn't scare me, I won't be buying push rod tubes now that I know I can use the stock ones.
Just added the FM adjustables on mine and reused the stock tubes, tight, but it can be done.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:00 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Agree on the 48 over the 222 but have anogther take on the OP.

Big heavy touring bike; 2 up 99% of the time; OEM HD air filter, OEM exhaust with gutted cat and baffled exhaust; basically a Stage 1 configuration that the OP wants to pull more torque from. I know some rocks wil be thrown, but the SE 255s with a good tune would be perfect and no need for adjustable push rods. Down on the HP side but will stil cruise just as easily as with the other cams being considered. No, this does not mean I am a fan of HD cams but in this situation, the 255 fills the bill.

The FM push rods are Smith Brothers rebranded and, as Hammerhead says, they can be adjusted with the stock covers but get ready to curse, swear and have some skinnes knuckles. If using adjustable, spring for the right covers; it won't break the bank.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:46 PM
crzoomb
Tourer
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

Don’t forget a good set of bolt cutters and cam bearing R&R tool, inch pound torque wrench too.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:48 PM
Tail Rid'r
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
This ain't right.. how can you post a Dyno sheet of a built 107 to compare to Stock 103"er..
Agree to the no baffles, that ain't gonna help low end..

As for the 48 or 222, the 48 will come in a little sooner helping out in the mountains and the 222 will carry out a tad farther.. Both good cams for your riding.

Removing the cat would make for less heat and better performance but you will still need the baffles...
I know its a 107, its printed as such, if I didn't want people to see it, I could have cropped it out, I figured viewers could make their own generalizations as to the difference it would make in a 103, high early tq for heavy baggers ...point being its a cam designed for mountanous, 2-up riding as the OP stated he was looking for and is designed for use with stock heads. If you find a dyno sheet with a 103, please share...I haven't seen one. If I didn't already have a cam, I'd surely love to try one.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:59 PM
Tail Rid'r
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s
Those do 525’s come on even earlier than the 48’s, but fall off fast. The 48’s and the 222’s all have right around 100ft/lb between 2000-2500rpm, But the 48’s and 222’s carry out better and have a lot more power “under the curve”

personally I think the 525’s are just a tad bit lame if you’re going to the cost to buy cams and trouble to swap and tune.

With the idea in mind that the 528 is based off of the 527 with a little advance to make a little more torque. With these maybe a better generalization can be made...maybe something like the 525 that carries out like the 527! The 525 does drop off way to fast, definitely a lugger cam.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:25 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Received 336 Likes on 184 Posts

I was looking for the same as you because I ride in the mountains a lot. Fuel Moto recommended the 555 or the 48. They were not sure when the would have the 555's in stock again. The 48 was cheaper & I ordered the complete kit. Installed it last weekend along with a new Power Vision map from FM. I did the rods, lifters, cam bearings & cam. Very happy with the results on my 2015 Ultra Limited. Hope to head the the Blue Ridge this weekend.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:53 AM
MattLS6
Road Captain
Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawgQC
I was looking for the same as you because I ride in the mountains a lot. Fuel Moto recommended the 555 or the 48. They were not sure when the would have the 555's in stock again. The 48 was cheaper & I ordered the complete kit. Installed it last weekend along with a new Power Vision map from FM. I did the rods, lifters, cam bearings & cam. Very happy with the results on my 2015 Ultra Limited. Hope to head the the Blue Ridge this weekend.
Do you mean the 222s? The Wood 555 and the 48h cams are very different. Blue Ridge is awesome by the way, wife and I rode up and down it a bit when visiting Asheville last year, enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 11:50 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Received 336 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLS6
Do you mean the 222s? The Wood 555 and the 48h cams are very different. Blue Ridge is awesome by the way, wife and I rode up and down it a bit when visiting Asheville last year, enjoy!
Nope. 555. Just going by what the Fuel Moto tech told me. I have a bout 300 miles on it & happy with it so far.

Quick Reply: Yet another cam upgrade question