Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

I am not amused

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 05:17 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default I am not amused

Talk me down here before I go nonlinear.

The bike: 2000 Electraglide classic twin cam MM EFI.

Me: first time HD owner. tons of other bikes in the past. wrecked 'em, rebuilt 'em, got the x-rays.

The story - got the bike for a good deal. I went in eyes open and expected to have to invest some money and time as it is over 20 years old. first thing off the hop was to check the cam chain tensioners. If I was lucky, they had been updated. If was sorta-lucky, they hadnt disintegrated yet, but I would be into a trip to a shop (treating myself to having someone else do the work after so many years doing it myself).

I was sorta lucky. the tensioners were OEM but not destroyed yet. I found a local independent shop. old school but they seemed to know whats what. a couple weeks and another fat wad later I get the bike back with new tires and hydraulic tensioners. But it was throwing a cam sensor code. I figured it was either damaged or freaking out after the work on it. I couldnt get that to reset. and the bike was often hesitant to start. in the meantime the gas tank check valves started to leak. ok fine, its 20 years old and didnt like getting manhandled. I replaced those and the fuel pump while I was int here. Still cant get the damn cam sensor code to go away. I hunt down a new cam and crank sensors just to be thorough. and while Im at it I'll go over all the grounds to make sure the hard start and code arent because of that. Oh yeah and I replaced the cheap *** amazon special battery.

So now here it is some months later and I finally dig into to the cam sensor. pull the exhaust off (discovering a crack in the crossover(curses)) and finally the cam plate cover.

Here is what I find.

As I said, Im new to HD, but it seems to me theres no way to trigger the cam sensor. when I go looking for cam sprockets for the same year and model bike I fins stuff like this which makes sense.

So am I crazy or what?

Top Answer

03-06-2022, 05:57 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Update! Great success!

I got the Andrews sprocket that works with the newer style single row chain. the Jims tool that was supposed to hold the sprockets while I went through the alignment measuring procedure was the wrong one. My fault. I ordered for the stock bike and this probably requires a tool for later models. So I had to do some finagling with a means of holding the sprockets still while the chain was off for that bit. But once I had it all buttoned up I held my breath and hit the "Wake me up so I can go go" button....and it fired on one cylinder. Much panic, some despair... until I noticed I hadnt put the cap on the front cylinder spark plug. Oops. AFter that it fired up like a champ and no more cam code. clear dash. a dozen starts in succession with no second or fifth tries. Still needs some final assembly of bits and bobs, a brake flush and a good cleaning after my filthy mitts have been all up in the naughty places - but its a runner.

The dudes at that shop can kiss my skidmark.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:38 PM
Garage Queen Rescue
Road Warrior
Received 9,644 Likes on 2,051 Posts

That’s the wrong cam sprocket, maybe the shop has your old one? Did the previous owner put the wrong cam sprocket on it? Either way the shop doesn’t seem to be familiar with early twin cams.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:41 PM
76_shovel
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Samsquamch
Talk me down here before I go nonlinear.

I found a local independent shop. old school but they seemed to know whats what. a couple weeks and another fat wad later I get the bike back with new tires and hydraulic tensioners. But it was throwing a cam sensor code.
Go back to your indy shop and see if they still have the original Rear cam sprocket, chain, and pinion sprocket.
The original sprocket HAS what you need to trigger the cam sensor.
you must have the chain and pinion sprocket too because the original sprocket will not work without them and they will work fine with all the rest of the new cam upgrade you have

The following users liked this post:
Samsquamch (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 05:55 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by 76_shovel
Go back to your indy shop and see if they still have the original Rear cam sprocket, chain, and pinion sprocket.
The original sprocket HAS what you need to trigger the cam sensor.
you must have the chain and pinion sprocket too because the original sprocket will not work without them and they will work fine with all the rest of the new cam upgrade you have
Thanks. I doubt they do. It was months ago while I assed around with other things. Im not even sure I want to go near the place, to be honest. Im pretty steamed.

Timothy Beighton (07-10-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 06:03 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Garage Queen Rescue
That’s the wrong cam sprocket, maybe the shop has your old one? Did the previous owner put the wrong cam sprocket on it? Either way the shop doesn’t seem to be familiar with early twin cams.

Oh you have no idea. I originally opened the cover to see if it had the OEM cam chain tensioners. and it did. they were worn but not broken. I asked the shop to do the cam tensioner update. The shop bragged and bragged about how he had been a "HD Service Manager for 20 years" Which may be true. I know I sure like paying for a full job and getting 75% of it

The following 2 users liked this post by Samsquamch:
Garage Queen Rescue (02-19-2022), HD Gramps (03-15-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 07:56 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,688 Likes on 2,725 Posts

I think I read Andrews makes one that will work with those chains and that setup. I also read someone was able to rewire something to bypass the sensor. Maybe start searching forums on the web. Either that, or you'd need a new ECM if you can't come up the original parts. And that would be pretty expensive. I'd be pretty mad at that shop too. It would have thrown the code right away.

Samsquamch (02-20-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:12 PM
76_shovel
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Tucker and WPS have 99-03 replacement sprockets and chains also

Samsquamch (02-20-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 09:18 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Did they change cams.. A 2000 should have splined sprocket. Only the 99s had the key.. You an run the silent chain on the outside with the hydraulic tensioner.

I'm surprised the bike even ran.. I thought MMI EFI needed the cam sensor to run. Are you sure that the bike hasn't been upgraded to Delphi? What does throttle body look like.. I'll suspect that the Dephi won't toss a cam sensor code tho.

Samsquamch (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 05:38 AM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Did they change cams.. A 2000 should have splined sprocket. Only the 99s had the key.. You an run the silent chain on the outside with the hydraulic tensioner.

I'm surprised the bike even ran.. I thought MMI EFI needed the cam sensor to run. Are you sure that the bike hasn't been upgraded to Delphi? What does throttle body look like.. I'll suspect that the Dephi won't toss a cam sensor code tho.
They keyed sprocket I showed was just a quick internet search grab showing the trigger. So yeah that could be for an earlier machine. If this has been converted to delphi, I would be very very surprised. It wouldnt jibe with the history of the bike. But anything is possible. I would also think that it wouldnt even start without the cam sensor. But ive seen the opposite with a car where the failed cam sensor would let it idle but not accelerate. It does seem to be "luck of the draw" when starting. sometimes it will pop right off. sometimes it will crank and crank with no joy. that made me think it was any number of things including the sensor, not completely incorrect parts

Ive got a couple options. hunt down the right parts and whatever special tools are necessary to replace the sprockets and chain. take a risk on a different shop. or take on the carb (or delphi) conversion a lot sooner than I planned to. I had figured on running the MM until it gave me trouble and then convert it.

I appreciate the thoughts

Old 02-20-2022, 05:46 AM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by brakeless
I think I read Andrews makes one that will work with those chains and that setup. I also read someone was able to rewire something to bypass the sensor. Maybe start searching forums on the web. Either that, or you'd need a new ECM if you can't come up the original parts. And that would be pretty expensive. I'd be pretty mad at that shop too. It would have thrown the code right away.
Live and learn, I guess. I was trusting them to do it right and was hiring them to take care of the big jobs while I learned the ins and outs of the bike. Its infuriating and amusing - here I am at a point in my life where I can afford to pay someone else to do a job like this. I was thinking that maybe I'd let this become a thing, having them do the stuff I want done. It would be a nice change. Well they wont be getting a second chance at it.

Quick Reply: I am not amused