The following users liked this post:
Samsquamch (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 11:31 AM
Samsquamch
Advanced
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kink04fxd
Don't put the spring inside the piston.
Im not even going to mess with it. Im just going to replace the whole tensioner. My manual doesnt cover the hydro tensioner, So it never ocurred to me that a retaining pin is placed in the unit to keep the mess all together. so there is my stupid prize for the week.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:55 AM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,688 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Yeah old age will get ya. That's why I take my time and double check everything I do. And then sometimes take pictures of stuff before it's buttoned up. The worst feeling in the world is finding a part on the bench and thinking "is this a spare, or did my dumbass forget it?" Lot of sleepless nights over those doubts. I also make it a point to photo all the new parts and then all the old parts, in separate areas.

Samsquamch (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 12:32 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by brakeless
Yeah old age will get ya. That's why I take my time and double check everything I do. And then sometimes take pictures of stuff before it's buttoned up. The worst feeling in the world is finding a part on the bench and thinking "is this a spare, or did my dumbass forget it?" Lot of sleepless nights over those doubts. I also make it a point to photo all the new parts and then all the old parts, in separate areas.
For sure. this one just escaped me. The curse of being an "Autodidact" which is Sanskrit for "doing everything the hard way". so this one is squarely on me.

brakeless (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 01:20 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,688 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Samsquamch
For sure. this one just escaped me. The curse of being an "Autodidact" which is Sanskrit for "doing everything the hard way". so this one is squarely on me.
You sure it doesn't mean "doing everything twice"? LOL!

Samsquamch (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 01:22 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by brakeless
You sure it doesn't mean "doing everything twice"? LOL!
ah thats the original Babylonian, sometimes the translation gets garbled.

brakeless (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 06:39 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Top photo OK; bottom photo no bueno.

The following 3 users liked this post by djl:
brakeless (03-13-2022), Max Headflow (03-13-2022), Samsquamch (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 06:27 AM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
Top photo OK; bottom photo no bueno.

And there you have it. I am certain Im missing the spring now. son of a... I couldnt find that sort of exploded diagram anywhere. just pictures of the assembled unit. A Fueling replacement is on the way

Old 03-15-2022, 02:10 PM
PaperBag
Banned
Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Hey, Samsquamch! I feel your pain. I broke into my first HD cam chest a while ago, aiming to simply replace the cam chain shoes. Yeah, "simply." I, like you, can turn a wrench, having worked on various other machines, but never tackled a Harley. Its a learning experience, kinda like life, I guess. Glad you seem to be getting it sorted out! My biggest issue has been personal - finding the time to actually DO the stuff. Thankfully my professional schedule is winding down due to my *semi*-retirement, and other obligations have lessened.

That said, I too am at a point where I can get someone else to do it. I believe I have found an indie tech near me who is capable. I have NO doubt he'd get it done faster.... I appreciate this opportunity to get to know my new-to-me bike, but I will certainly think twice or even three times before I attempt another more major repair/maintenance.

Old 03-19-2022, 03:09 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced

UPDATE: Whelp it wasnt the cam chain tensioner. Not that one at least. the OEM one seemed to be a problem. all the parts in the right places. But it was a bit sticky on the actuation. I put in the new one from fueling. Fired up the bike and let it get hot (pissing down rain so I did it in the shop) as soon as it got good and toasty, the noise returned. Now Im just making guesses at things like a lifter losing pressure or something. I have proper oil pressure on the dash gauge. It goes through the revs fine. Just makes an awful racket when hot. And not a "they all do that" noise.

The local shop I want to take it to is up to his ears. One guy three lifts full and a pack waiting behind. So the HD is gonna sit a while. No worries. I have my big old Guzzi to rip miles on.

Quick Reply: I am not amused