Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

TC88 cam tensioner removal/ install tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 09:09 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by robarosa
Two tools have been mentioned. tensioner tool and CYCO tool. I'll note that below for those not familiar with them.

Removed cams to replace with SS 509 with all bearings. Shoes replaced using CYCO shoe tool jig. I'm a sucker for cool tools and bought the holescreek tool for quick shoe replacement. Shouldn't need outer bearings for many miles. Tried the holescreek tool on a friends upgrade to gear drive cams for a test and worked as shown in video. If you have access to tools to press the cams / bearings out and in, I don't see a need in the tensioner tool. My friend has a auto shop and we just played around with the tensioner tool. Pretty cool.

I'm thinking outer bearings will go 2, 3 or 4 times shoe life. Don't know but will be many miles. Probably replace inner bearing each time shoes are replaced. If I'm not around when outer bearings need replacing, I'll have family call you @djl
Thanks but just to be clear, the Holes Creek tool is the $129 tool shown in the first video? I have that tool, just never used it as I might change cams several times in a season so no need. Pretty obvious from he video that the Holes Creek tool works as shown but the price gives people sticker shock. I was hoping to hear from Brakeless on his use of the Cujo tool as I have read mixed results with that tool.

The following users liked this post:
brakeless (02-22-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 09:56 AM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 558 Likes on 389 Posts

Bought the tool a few years back. Without doing a search I can't remember the cost. Over $100 but I think less than $129. So yes, that's the tool.

My bud does stuff for me and lets me use his shop. I knew he was going in his cam chest, so, being a sucker for tools I thought it would be a good time to pay back to him and check out the tensioner tool. Even though he changed cams using his press, it was a worth it for both of us. He can use it when he does other's Harley work. Yeah, you have to be a Harley shop or really like tools for the cost. One of the many sins I'm guilty of.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:15 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by robarosa
Bought the tool a few years back. Without doing a search I can't remember the cost. Over $100 but I think less than $129. So yes, that's the tool.

My bud does stuff for me and lets me use his shop. I knew he was going in his cam chest, so, being a sucker for tools I thought it would be a good time to pay back to him and check out the tensioner tool. Even though he changed cams using his press, it was a worth it for both of us. He can use it when he does other's Harley work. Yeah, you have to be a Harley shop or really like tools for the cost. One of the many sins I'm guilty of.
Well, I was gifted the tool for helping another forum member with a build but, like you, I would have bought it as I am guilty of the same weakness. I have worked on mine and others bikes for years and have been a George's Garage loyal customer for years so I have accumulated a large tool box full of almost every tool required for motor and drive train work and wonder what will happen to them when I pass.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:43 AM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior
Received 785 Likes on 422 Posts

I think I’m just gonna order the tools, Ina bearings and a high flow oil pump… No reason to ask advice and then not take it.

Total of everything: gaskets, CYCO shoes & tool, tensioner tool, bearing tool & bearings, oil pump $500!

No hookers or blow next weekend!

Garage Queen Rescue (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 07:51 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,310 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
I found the tool… $129.00, but the seller requires payment through PapPal friends & family. I’m not sure I’m comfortable with a payment that has no recourse for dispute if I have a problem with the tool, or it never arrives.
As of Jan. 1, mobile payment apps like Venmo, PayPal and Cash App are required to report commercial transactions totaling more than $600 per year to the Internal Revenue Service.
(Previously, these mobile payment apps only had to tell the tax authorities when a person had over 200 commercial transactions per year that exceeded $20,000 in total value)

For example ... would you (as just a regular guy) want pay Income Tax when you sell a couple things on eBay

Venmo, PayPal, Cash App must report $600+ in business transactions to IRS

I think @Campy Roadie can vouch for "the seller"

Last edited by multihdrdr; 02-21-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Campy Roadie (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 08:12 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,902 Likes on 4,005 Posts

This is hilarious, People here think that it's more important to replace the oil pump than the cam plate bearing? Nothing wrong with the stock oil pump. With the POS tensioners spring loaded tensioners, the front bearing should be replaced when doing the tensioners because the spring loaded tensioner places tension on the chain which loads the bearing. I guess because no one read it on the internet? Did this place exist back in 2000? I guess no one figured out why the rear cam plate bearing is roller and why front one a ball. At one time they were both ball.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
Big Dave (02-22-2022), brakeless (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 03:20 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,663 Likes on 2,711 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Thanks but just to be clear, the Holes Creek tool is the $129 tool shown in the first video? I have that tool, just never used it as I might change cams several times in a season so no need. Pretty obvious from he video that the Holes Creek tool works as shown but the price gives people sticker shock. I was hoping to hear from Brakeless on his use of the Cujo tool as I have read mixed results with that tool.
Sorry been busy pulling mine apart. My CUJO Tool works great. And I consider myself very lucky to have gotten this one for the price. Too bad they stopped making them. My guess is it was probably trade mark infringement. They could sell it for double that and still beat out everyone else.

The following 3 users liked this post by brakeless:
Flo-rida (02-23-2022), Garage Queen Rescue (02-22-2022), s-glide76 (02-24-2022)