Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

TC88 cam tensioner removal/ install tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 12:58 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior
Received 788 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by djl;[url=tel:20457531
20457531[/url]]The OEM inner cam bearings do not have the history of failure that the OEM tensioners do and there are thousands of Harleys with high mileage without failure for the OEM inner cam bearings. However, it is common practice to upgrade and replace the OEM inner cam bearings with the full compliment Koyo replacements if the cam chest is open which is usually to install performance cams and in that application upgrading the inner cam bearings is just part of the total upgrade. The Koyos are a superior bearing, cheap and easy to replace so, why not as part of a performance upgrade? I understand the OP is not changing cams but replacing tensioners and upgrading to CYCOs but is considering leaving the OEM INA bearings in place; not sure why. If the OEM inner cam cage which holds the rollers is damaged in any way during the R/R of the cam plate, failure is likely. I think anyone looking at a cutaway of both bearings can see the advantage of the full compiment Koyo; more rollers and no cage. An upgrade is an upgrade to me and IMHO, replaceing the inner cam bearings with the Koyo replacement makes sense but a "dealers choice".

If there is anyone that has responded to the OP and has changed tensioners without removing the cams, please post the tool(s) used and how the job was done; I have never done that. Using the CYCO tool and following the CYCO instructions to the "T" is important as well.
Thanks for the input.
I’ve been reading everything I can on this subject, a couple of thoughts that have me scratching my head… there are those that believe the caged bearing, in the TC88, is a better choice, due to it running cooler or needs less oil to keep it lubricated. Then those that believe the KOYO bearing is just a better bearing. I really hadn’t considered the possibility of tweaking the bearing on R/R… something else to consider.

I have further read, that bearing failures in the TC88 are generally associated with tensioner shoe wear (not necessarily failure).,the material sloughing off the shoes restricts oil flow. Many recommend replacing the oil pump with a high flow unit… I’ve seen high flow pumps from Fueling, Screaming Eagle and V-twin recommended.

I think I’m more inclined to worry over the oil pump than the bearings!!

Piece of mind can get pricey!

Old 02-19-2022, 01:03 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by brakeless;[url=tel:20457571
20457571[/url]]Reference my post #9. This tool will remove the inner tensioner without having to press out the camshaft.
I reached out to the manufacturer, they discontinued the tool in December 2020!

Old 02-19-2022, 01:04 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,676 Likes on 2,718 Posts

GOGOBECK, You sound OCD just like me! LOL! Try not overthinking this. If it's simplicity you want the stock oil pump will work just fine.

Old 02-19-2022, 01:06 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
I reached out to the manufacturer, they discontinued the tool in December 2020!
Oh? I just bought mine a month ago. Maybe it was a last one on the shelf deal....sorry. Still, I'd do a broad search for one like it.

Old 02-19-2022, 01:17 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by brakeless;[url=tel:20457592
20457592[/url]]GOGOBECK, You sound OCD just like me! LOL! Try not overthinking this. If it's simplicity you want the stock oil pump will work just fine.
ha ha, yeah at this rate, I’ll be splitting the cases to check for casting burrs “just for preventive maintenance”

Old 02-19-2022, 01:17 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by brakeless;[url=tel:20457595
20457595[/url]]Oh? I just bought mine a month ago. Maybe it was a last one on the shelf deal....sorry. Still, I'd do a broad search for one like it.
So you’re the guy that got it!

Old 02-19-2022, 01:24 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

So you’re the guy that got it!
I'm usually never that lucky!

Old 02-19-2022, 01:40 PM
Garage Queen Rescue
Road Warrior
Received 9,643 Likes on 2,051 Posts

I want to not remove the cams, I’ve never heard that the roller bearing or the ball bearing in the cam plate are an issue… bike only has 17k on the clock.
I have heard many online posters recommending replacing the inner cam bearings “while you’re in there”. I don’t know if those opinions are based on the belief that the KOYO full compliment needle bearing is just superior to an oem caged bearing, or real knowledge that it is a superior bearing in this application! What I haven’t read are accounts of these bearings failing… maybe I just haven’t read enough! I do know that caged bearings don’t need as much oil to lubricate them… I think that’s their advantage, I believe also that caged bearings don’t tolerate as much lateral force as a full complement needle bearing.

I am only trying to do a bit of pm on known points of failure. In talking with a local indie wrench, he claims to have never seen a failure with the cam bearings, on either end on a TC88… but says he’s seen many an EVO suffer from the stock needle bearing failure.

Do you have first hand experience with any of these cam bearings failing?
I had the front outer ball bearing go out on my 2003 at 19k miles but it’s not a common problem. Not sure why it happened.

I installed new bearings, Andrews cams, a used cam plate, and cyco tensioners. After about 3k miles I felt uneasy/guilty about reusing the stock oil pump, so last week I went back in and installed a Daytona oil pump and adjustable pushrods so I wouldn’t have to take the tank off again. No wear at all on the tensioners which I was happy to see.

For peace of mind I should have done that the first time I was in there. For less than $100 for the tool and bearings, the inners are worth replacing in my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
GOGOBECK (02-20-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:08 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Thanks for the input.
I’ve been reading everything I can on this subject, a couple of thoughts that have me scratching my head… there are those that believe the caged bearing, in the TC88, is a better choice, due to it running cooler or needs less oil to keep it lubricated. Then those that believe the KOYO bearing is just a better bearing. I really hadn’t considered the possibility of tweaking the bearing on R/R… something else to consider.

I have further read, that bearing failures in the TC88 are generally associated with tensioner shoe wear (not necessarily failure).,the material sloughing off the shoes restricts oil flow. Many recommend replacing the oil pump with a high flow unit… I’ve seen high flow pumps from Fueling, Screaming Eagle and V-twin recommended.

I think I’m more inclined to worry over the oil pump than the bearings!!

Piece of mind can get pricey!
Like I said in my previous; dealer's choice, so do what you want with the inner bearings but, as has been said, "why tempt fate". The OEM oil pump and cam plate are quite adequate for your application. Check the plate and pump parts and body for wear and it it checks out, run it. Points to watch when R/Ring the cam plate? proper re-assembly of the pump, many get it wrong/pump alignment/scavenge port o-ring avoiding pinching or cutting/carefully tightening the cam plate fasteners at 10 and 2 to avoid stripping.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:11 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 559 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
<snip...>
If there is anyone that has responded to the OP and has changed tensioners without removing the cams, please post the tool(s) used and how the job was done; I have never done that. Using the CYCO tool and following the CYCO instructions to the "T" is important as well.
Two tools have been mentioned. tensioner tool and CYCO tool. I'll note that below for those not familiar with them.

Removed cams to replace with SS 509 with all bearings. Shoes replaced using CYCO shoe tool jig. I'm a sucker for cool tools and bought the holescreek tool for quick shoe replacement. Shouldn't need outer bearings for many miles. Tried the holescreek tool on a friends upgrade to gear drive cams for a test and worked as shown in video. If you have access to tools to press the cams / bearings out and in, I don't see a need in the tensioner tool. My friend has a auto shop and we just played around with the tensioner tool. Pretty cool.

I'm thinking outer bearings will go 2, 3 or 4 times shoe life. Don't know but will be many miles. Probably replace inner bearing each time shoes are replaced. If I'm not around when outer bearings need replacing, I'll have family call you @djl

Quick Reply: TC88 cam tensioner removal/ install tool