Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

TC88 cam tensioner removal/ install tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 02:34 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by crazytown
OP if it helps, I ordered that tool from the guy, and it arrived fine, and works great.

@djl I have thought of doing the same thing. I think a 2 week period is pretty reasonable? Maybe $5 or $10 rental fee? So they would cover $130 up front, and refunded $120 or so? I have borrowed tools from other very generous members on here before and just covered shipping to and from. I guess just whatever your tolerance level would be for that.
I have re-thought the offer and think it not worth my time to ***** with; a brain fart. There are many other options it appears, although I don't think any of them work as smoothly as this one. The OP can go one of the other routes.

Old 02-18-2022, 05:38 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior
Received 788 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by FLASH1970
I bought all the tools to do the cyco shoes and cam bearings when i did mine. @GOGOBECK was the 129 for just the CYCO tool or the cam bearing tool too?
$129 gets the tool to remove/install the cam chain tensioners!

Old 02-18-2022, 05:43 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl;[url=tel:20456116
20456116[/url]]I have re-thought the offer and think it not worth my time to ***** with; a brain fart. There are many other options it appears, although I don't think any of them work as smoothly as this one. The OP can go one of the other routes.
USPS priority mail $10 bills each way… figure 3-4 days each way. Then the hassle of toting the thing to USPS, emailing back and forth, etc etc… ain’t exactly a Proffitt center.
only reason you’d do it is to help a brother out… maybe reduce your sunk cost in the tool! ? Then again, Karma is a powerful thing!

The following users liked this post:
brakeless (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 05:56 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,677 Likes on 2,719 Posts

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
$129 gets the tool to remove/install the cam chain tensioners!
MBS MFG also makes some really nice puller/installer tools. I found one from WHOYA on Ebay for about half the price that has some good reviews. Made in the USA too.

Old 02-18-2022, 05:56 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLASH1970
I bought all the tools to do the cyco shoes and cam bearings when i did mine. @GOGOBECK was the 129 for just the CYCO tool or the cam bearing tool too?

I thought the bearing install/removal tool I have would work in this… not so sure, so I’m looking at another $70 for that!

I have been told the caged bearings in the TC88 are not the same issue they were on the EVO’s… due to the different geometry of the push rods. I’d still feel better, while I’m in there, replacing the caged bearings. I hate to punk out over $70 bucks!

I still think 129 for the tool to remove the tensioners is way high… but when you’re the single source for such a thing… I doubt the Chinese are stepping in to sell 20 of these a year!

Old 02-18-2022, 06:08 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 559 Likes on 390 Posts

To be clear, no need for the tensioner tool if you are replacing the cam plate bearings along with the inner bearings as a completed job. Cams come out, inner tensioner comes off... Depends on the mileage the bike has. Me... I'd replace all bearing while in the cam chest.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:24 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by robarosa
To be clear, no need for the tensioner tool if you are replacing the cam plate bearings along with the inner bearings as a completed job. Cams come out, inner tensioner comes off... Depends on the mileage the bike has. Me... I'd replace all bearing while in the cam chest.
and CYCO tensioners.

The following users liked this post:
brakeless (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 11:13 AM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

I want to not remove the cams, I’ve never heard that the roller bearing or the ball bearing in the cam plate are an issue… bike only has 17k on the clock.
I have heard many online posters recommending replacing the inner cam bearings “while you’re in there”. I don’t know if those opinions are based on the belief that the KOYO full compliment needle bearing is just superior to an oem caged bearing, or real knowledge that it is a superior bearing in this application! What I haven’t read are accounts of these bearings failing… maybe I just haven’t read enough! I do know that caged bearings don’t need as much oil to lubricate them… I think that’s their advantage, I believe also that caged bearings don’t tolerate as much lateral force as a full complement needle bearing.

I am only trying to do a bit of pm on known points of failure. In talking with a local indie wrench, he claims to have never seen a failure with the cam bearings, on either end on a TC88… but says he’s seen many an EVO suffer from the stock needle bearing failure.

Do you have first hand experience with any of these cam bearings failing?

Old 02-19-2022, 12:18 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

The OEM inner cam bearings do not have the history of failure that the OEM tensioners do and there are thousands of Harleys with high mileage without failure for the OEM inner cam bearings. However, it is common practice to upgrade and replace the OEM inner cam bearings with the full compliment Koyo replacements if the cam chest is open which is usually to install performance cams and in that application upgrading the inner cam bearings is just part of the total upgrade. The Koyos are a superior bearing, cheap and easy to replace so, why not as part of a performance upgrade? I understand the OP is not changing cams but replacing tensioners and upgrading to CYCOs but is considering leaving the OEM INA bearings in place; not sure why. If the OEM inner cam cage which holds the rollers is damaged in any way during the R/R of the cam plate, failure is likely. I think anyone looking at a cutaway of both bearings can see the advantage of the full compiment Koyo; more rollers and no cage. An upgrade is an upgrade to me and IMHO, replaceing the inner cam bearings with the Koyo replacement makes sense but a "dealers choice".

If there is anyone that has responded to the OP and has changed tensioners without removing the cams, please post the tool(s) used and how the job was done; I have never done that. Using the CYCO tool and following the CYCO instructions to the "T" is important as well.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:48 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,677 Likes on 2,719 Posts

Reference my post #9. This tool will remove the inner tensioner without having to press out the camshaft. Or OP can take the plate/camshaft assy to his Indy and let him do it. It will most likely cost him 1/2 hr or whatever he charges minimum. The first time I replaced my tensioners it cost me $60 bench time at a dealership. And I'm in total agreement with the inner bearing upgrade. I've never personally experienced a failure but why tempt fate. I just rebuilt the Transfer Case in our Yukon and it came with an upgraded full compliment shifter bearing. And it fell apart on removal. So, no cages for me.

Quick Reply: TC88 cam tensioner removal/ install tool