Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

TC88 build need feedback!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 04:20 PM
Big$ki13
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC88 build need feedback!!

So I just finished my TC88 build and I'm looking for feedback and what to expect as far as tuning goes and power numbers as well as if it was as put together as I thought it was for my riding style of let em hang....my upgrades included the s&s 100in power pack with 585 cams and entire cam chest, heads are ported polished 103 heads, 52mm throttle body with 5.13g injectors, 58mm single bore intake manifold (to match to the newer 103 heads) high flow intake and a dnd fatcat 2-1 pipe. I also have a power vision tuner that I got my baseline tune from to do some break in cycles and then some break in riding before I get it dynoed.....This was my first motorcycle engine build. I've been riding since I was a kid and now at 30 I've finally decided it was time to do a little build. Any and all feedback on my upgrades would be appreciated as far as what to look out for moving forward and what kind of numbers do people think it will bring. Am I going to be satisfied with the money I've spent? It sounds mean as hell hopefully its as mean as it sounds!!! All feedback appreciated

Old 12-17-2021, 07:53 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,008 Likes on 4,061 Posts

It will depend on who did the heads (what they flow), the exhaust system and and your compression ratio.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:26 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,173 Likes on 7,673 Posts

Congrats on your first post to HDF, welcome to the forum.

Would be nice to know the year and model of your build.

Looking forward to seeing how it works for you once it gets broken in.

What part of PA you from?

Old 12-18-2021, 10:42 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

As has been said, numbers will depend on compression, head flow and exhaust; however, I will play. 110/115 should be easy to hit with a good tune and 115/120 is possible if all parts are playing well together.

Why break in riding; get the bike on the dyno now and tune.JMHO

Old 12-19-2021, 04:32 PM
Big$ki13
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
It will depend on who did the heads (what they flow), the exhaust system and and your compression ratio.
I forget the guys name who did them but he's a bike builder out in Pittsburgh pa that I met at a swap meet in Atlantic City is where I got the heads. As far as compression the kit I got said one number and then there was a higher number if I used a certain gasket to up the compression ratio but without going thru all my paperwork I kept from the build I couldn't tell you what those numbers were off the top of my head I wanna say 11.something to 1

Old 12-19-2021, 04:41 PM
Big$ki13
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
Congrats on your first post to HDF, welcome to the forum.

Would be nice to know the year and model of your build.

Looking forward to seeing how it works for you once it gets broken in.

What part of PA you from?
I'm from Pottstown PA. It's about 40 suburb outside Philadelphia...the bike was a 2004 Fatboy. Appreciate the feedback from you guys here's a few pictures of the beast...the thick chrome bars are no longer on there it's got the black bars and black crash bar on it now....I got tons of extra parts I'm interested in selling I'm not sure if that goes on on here or not I don't believe most the old engine stuff is worth anything like jugs Pistons cams ect...but I do have the heads throttle body injectors all that kind of stuff if anyone is interested

Old 12-19-2021, 04:53 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,008 Likes on 4,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Big$ki13
I forget the guys name who did them but he's a bike builder out in Pittsburgh pa that I met at a swap meet in Atlantic City is where I got the heads. As far as compression the kit I got said one number and then there was a higher number if I used a certain gasket to up the compression ratio but without going thru all my paperwork I kept from the build I couldn't tell you what those numbers were off the top of my head I wanna say 11.something to 1
Well you are going to need to figure all that stuff out. Other than that, it's a shot in the dark. Are the pistons flat tops or domed? Dome size? What is the CC on the heads? What do the heads flow? What size intake port? (Need that one for picking throttle body). What pipes do you plan on using. Not knowing this stuff you might have a runner, OK build, dog or ping monster.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:56 PM
Big$ki13
6th Gear

Originally Posted by djl
As has been said, numbers will depend on compression, head flow and exhaust; however, I will play. 110/115 should be easy to hit with a good tune and 115/120 is possible if all parts are playing well together.

Why break in riding; get the bike on the dyno now and tune.JMHO
As far as the break in riding I'm just going off the paperwork that can with the stuff from S&S..I've done all the break in heat cycles and and oil changes but they said in the paperwork to do more conservative riding up and down thru the rpm ranges not being real hard on the throttle and not luging the motor. And getting a few hundred miles on it before the dyno. Like I said this is my first build so I'm open to any suggestions as far as all that goes I'm just going off the paperwork. I know when you build car motors the break in for them is driving it how you intend on driving it. Is that the same with these vtwins? Can't do any riding right now cuz I'm still waiting on an air cleaner for it from S&S. They sent me the wrong one twice...unless anyone's got an air cleaner for sale part number 170-0287....any other info you got for me as far as break in miles and tuning would be appreciated thanks!

Old 12-20-2021, 08:45 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

A good tuner can seat the rings on the dyno and go right into a full tune without any break in riding miles. The last two motors I built had two one minute heat cycles to listen for funny noises and check for leaks ant then straight to the dyno. It's a pretty common practice these days.

The following users liked this post:
Hillsidecycle.com (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 11:21 AM
Big$ki13
6th Gear

Originally Posted by djl
A good tuner can seat the rings on the dyno and go right into a full tune without any break in riding miles. The last two motors I built had two one minute heat cycles to listen for funny noises and check for leaks ant then straight to the dyno. It's a pretty common practice these days.
Thanks for the info! Great to know so I've already done the heat cycles and checked for leaks now I just gotta get a decent tuner.ive heard of one or 2 close to me...where are you from do you know of anybody near or around the Philadelphia area whose known for tuning?

Quick Reply: TC88 build need feedback!!