Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Upgrading my 88

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 06:42 PM
pirateonauc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading my 88

I have a 2005 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic and want to upgrade the 88. I know HD makes a 95 kit, S&S has 97 and 98 kits and many have informed me to talk to a reputable rebuilder. All of the suggestions have been helpful but kind of leave my head spinning with what to do. Let me begin my saying riding two up with luggage in the mountains and up long hills the performance lacks allot. So with that said, let me begin with the HD 95 big bore kit without any head work. Satisfied with the performance? Did you have the heads worked along with installing the 95 kit and satisfied with the performance? How about the 97 and 98 S&S big bore kits? With touring being my style of riding any cam suggestions? Also what about boring my stock cylinders, new pistons, cam and working the heads instead of going the big bore way. I don't want to break the bank just have the power to tour in the mountains, power to pass a vehicle "quickly" and not reduce my MPG to the point I need to stop at every gas station. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!

Old 09-29-2021, 05:39 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 2,874 Posts

No offense but you received good input on your options when you posted this in "Touring"
The water gets muddy when you start over

Old 09-29-2021, 08:37 AM
pirateonauc
Novice

You are correct, the only reason I posted here was because a member suggested that I do so. If I receive some more advice in this section it will be welcomed.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:05 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 2,874 Posts

^ Roger that !
Good luck on your mods !

Old 09-29-2021, 12:02 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

If you think your head is spinning now; wait a while.

Many years ago, I upgraded my '05 FXSTD from 88" to 95". First configuration was 95"/SE204 cams/V&H 2:2 Sideshots/stock heads; 91TQ/85HP. Decided to have heads ported and change exhaaust. So same configuration except BigBoyz ported heads and Python 3 2:1 exhaust; 102TQ/96HP. That should help make the decision between stock or ported heads. The 2:1 exhaust contributed but the ported heads and increase in compression were the major contributors.

Sounds like you want to put a limit on cost so first things first; how much are you willing to spend? Second question needing an answer is who will turn the wrenches?

JMHO but having cylinders bored to fit new pistons is the only way to go; bore to 98", cost is the same so why not? The cost for cylinder boring, pistons, etc. will run about $600, plus out and back shipping. If budget allows another $600, definitely have heads ported to "street" port or "stage 1" level; the '05 OEM heads were the worst. If the exhaust and air filter are OEM, you will need a good set of slip on mufflers and a hi-flow air filter. If the OEM chain tensioners have not been upgraded and the inner cam bearings are OEM; both will need to be replaced. A set of cams should be part of the plan and, from how you describe the way you ride, the SE255 should fit the bill. Fuel management should also be included to optimize performance and the Power Vision tuner and a dyno tune should top things off.

You are probably looking at mas o menos $2500 if you do the work and depending on parts selection. Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 10:25 PM
pirateonauc
Novice

Thanks for your response. It becomes a little more clear as I am informed to do my research but where do I go? I have a local machinist that I will talk to and maybe he can guide me a little as until I read your response I did not have a clue what to tell him what to do. Selecting a bore size, pistons, cams, heads ported and have it all work together to maximize performance is my concern. I really have not found that information ....yet. Maybe it is available and I just don't know where to go. The last thing I want to do is invest a couple grand and not like it. Thanks again as you did provide good advice!

Old 09-29-2021, 11:42 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,119 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Call Hillside, or Fuel Moto. Why take advice from guys that have built 2-5 motors. These guys do that many a day. They know the combos that work and last. They put together headache free kits that have the gaskets and everything you need to make the project easy. Woods cams are awesome… let the builder of your choice pick it for you based on your combination. Go look at some dyno charts on FM’s site.

The following 2 users liked this post by FNGonaRK:
ACguy (09-30-2021), eighteight (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 12:15 AM
richkidman
Cruiser
Veteran: Air Force
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

2005 Ultra Classic, 95” screaming Eagle big bore kit, 203 cam, hd download, slip on mufflers. Enough power to pull 2 up loaded through mountains of Northern California and still have passing throttle left.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:23 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by pirateonauc
Thanks for your response. It becomes a little more clear as I am informed to do my research but where do I go? I have a local machinist that I will talk to and maybe he can guide me a little as until I read your response I did not have a clue what to tell him what to do. Selecting a bore size, pistons, cams, heads ported and have it all work together to maximize performance is my concern. I really have not found that information ....yet. Maybe it is available and I just don't know where to go. The last thing I want to do is invest a couple grand and not like it. Thanks again as you did provide good advice!
Understand. No disrespect to your local machinist but if he doesn't have experience with Harley v-twins, he is not the right guy for the project. I am not a professional but have built several of these motors and the previously given advice is based on that experience. While you can research, look at dyno charts, etc. until the cows come home, you will very likely never be confident with your choices/decisions. Someone in your position should reach out to a professional for guidance and developing a build plan and budget around the goals you have outlined in your OP.

So, as has been suggested, contact Scott/Hillside Cycles or Kirby/VeeTwin Performance; both are excellent builders. Both frequent this forum and eager to talk to prosective customers and both have "packages" that vary in scope and cost; work with the best fit. If you are going to DIY the project all you need is the service manual, tools and the time. If you are not going to DIY the project, you will have to find a local shop to work with. I would encourage you to DIY the project.

Finally, you will need to find a local dyno tuner; fuel management and tune are a must. Good luck and keep us posted.

https://www.hillsidecycle.com/
https://www.veetwinperformance.com/

Old 09-30-2021, 06:21 PM
pirateonauc
Novice

Thanks for everyone's advice! It really helps me understand options to consider. I am going to contact a few builders and S&S then make a decision.