Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

'03 Dyna Low Rider leaking underneath

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 10:44 PM
opus512
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '03 Dyna Low Rider leaking underneath

Picked up an '03 Low Rider with 14k on it for $5k, very clean stock bike from what I can tell. History was a little light, guys sister had it for 10 years, put a couple thousand on it, stopped riding and then recently passed, so he was selling it. What it was before she got it he doesn't know, so neither do I. All he can say is he had it in his garage for several months and it never leaked anything. Was raining when I picked it up so we brought it back on a buddy's trailer. He didn't lower the trailer enough and when I rode it up the ramp there wasn't enough clearance and I biffed the trailer with the bottom of the bike. At the time I thought it was the frame, saw no damage, felt nothing anywhere. Bringing it back we pulled into a gas station and it tipped some, but the straps and the handlebar caught the wooden side rails and stopped it from laying down, it barely hit a 45 degree angle, so no damage there. Never noticed anything leaking on the trailer.

Only put maybe 50 miles on it, literally got it two days ago. Parked on my old wooden rain soaked front porch and I noticed some grayish fluid underneath it. Hard to tell how much as the porch is pretty much soaked, almost standing water on it, so it's really thin and looks almost milkish, but this is looking at it under porch light at night, can't get under it right now. I'd almost say it was dirty water but it feels slimy, not real oily, like I said it's pretty thin, but it's definitely more than water. No real smell or taste to it. This might sound extra noobish here, but is there a way to check the tranny fluid on this thing? Not change, just check the fluid level. I found the engine oil, that was easy, but the trans and primary I'm not sure about, even after looking them up online, which really only talks about changing the fluids, not checking levels. I'm pushing 60 and this was going to be the last bike I bought, heh. Was really hoping I just got lucky on a good deal. I know a guy that knows his Harley stuff and he's willing to take a look at it but gotta get it out there, about 20 miles away, kind of reluctant to ride it out there, but no other way to get it there any time soon, and I bought this sucker on the week of my vacation for a reason, heh.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:10 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 2,874 Posts

The oblong chrome cover above front exhaust pipe and behind the foot peg has a female hex recess, insert allen wrench and remove . That is your transmission dipstick

On clutch lever side of bike ( lets call it "left') is your primary cover. It has a large round cover secured with torx screws. You can check the chain case lube level there

Old 08-13-2021, 08:26 PM
BUILT
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the transmission dipstick

Old 08-21-2021, 07:28 PM
opus512
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BUILT

This is the transmission dipstick
I was able to find the trans dipstick, thanks.

The leak seems to be coming from near or at where the trans hooks up to the engine, should be a not too complicated fix, don't have to pull the engine, gonna get that done as soon as I find my damn key I just misplaced when I just got home from riding the damn thing, heh.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:08 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Clean up the leak area so there is no evidence of a leak. Take a ride, get up to operating temp, come home and park. Take a couple of pictures of the leak area and post them.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:20 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Clean up the leak area so there is no evidence of a leak. Take a ride, get up to operating temp, come home and park. Take a couple of pictures of the leak area and post them.
Ditto

Might even put a piece of clean cardboard underneath.

Ride safe!