Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Guys are these Battery and charging numbers okay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 10:48 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

I would say the battery looks OK.. The OEM battery is spec'ed at 400 CCA. When I replaced the last battery in my 07 EGC It measure 300 cca and was starting the bike just fine. It got replaced because it was 5 years old. The dynas and softails use a battery that is spec'ed at one 320 CCA new, same motor.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:08 PM
KK0G
Tourer
Received 325 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Elenawonder
Today was the first time I went to Wal-Mart for an oil change. Afterwards they gave me a “Battery Test Results” report saying “Battery fails to meet industry accepted standards and should be replaced” The results are:

Voltage: 12.79V

Measured: 402 CCA

Rated: 550 CCA

Temperature: 92 degrees F

I have no idea what these numbers mean. Do I need to replace it now, can I wait, and if I can wait, about how long?

Short answer: don't go to Walmart to get your battery tested, let alone an oil change.

Long answer: at 12.79 it was fully charged, in fact it apparently had a bit of a surface charge as a fully charged 12 battery at rest should measure 12.6 volts. Having a small surface charge would be perfectly normal by the way if for instance the vehicle had very recently been running with the alternator charging and little to no load. They likely used a small handheld "battery tester", although I hesitate to call it that as they're garbage in my opinion, and as such their "measured 402 cold cranking amps" is at best a calculation and at worst bullshit. If you've experienced no symptoms of hard starting, slow cranking, etc. then personally I wouldn't worry about it but if you want peace of mind then you need to get the battery load tested at a reputable shop where they will use a real carbon pile load tester which puts an actual load on the battery. If you see them coming to test your battery carrying only a small handheld device with a couple of tiny test leads then it's not a real carbon pile load tester, those are generally, but not always, mounted on a wheeled cart and will have large heavy battery cables with large alligator clamps at the ends. They will put a load no the battery of half the CCA rating, 225 amps in your case, for 15 seconds while watching the battery voltage. Voltage should drop at a steady rate as the load is applied and should not fall below about 9.6 volts at the 15 second mark. There can be a little leeway in those numbers and sometimes a bit of a judgment call is required based on experience but that's pretty much the industry standard procedure. In a nutshell, if you want professional results go to a professional shop......... Walmart ain't that.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:15 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,430 Likes on 5,023 Posts

The person who hijacked the thread is banned...

Man is this place getting strict...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-19-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:59 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by KK0G
Short answer: don't go to Walmart to get your battery tested, let alone an oil change.

Long answer: at 12.79 it was fully charged, in fact it apparently had a bit of a surface charge as a fully charged 12 battery at rest should measure 12.6 volts. Having a small surface charge would be perfectly normal by the way if for instance the vehicle had very recently been running with the alternator charging and little to no load. They likely used a small handheld "battery tester", although I hesitate to call it that as they're garbage in my opinion, and as such their "measured 402 cold cranking amps" is at best a calculation and at worst bullshit. If you've experienced no symptoms of hard starting, slow cranking, etc. then personally I wouldn't worry about it but if you want peace of mind then you need to get the battery load tested at a reputable shop where they will use a real carbon pile load tester which puts an actual load on the battery. If you see them coming to test your battery carrying only a small handheld device with a couple of tiny test leads then it's not a real carbon pile load tester, those are generally, but not always, mounted on a wheeled cart and will have large heavy battery cables with large alligator clamps at the ends. They will put a load no the battery of half the CCA rating, 225 amps in your case, for 15 seconds while watching the battery voltage. Voltage should drop at a steady rate as the load is applied and should not fall below about 9.6 volts at the 15 second mark. There can be a little leeway in those numbers and sometimes a bit of a judgment call is required based on experience but that's pretty much the industry standard procedure. In a nutshell, if you want professional results go to a professional shop......... Walmart ain't that.
I'd take exception to this there are some good quick testers out there are pretty affordable.

https://www.jbtools.com/midtronics-m...lt-in-printer/

AFAICT, it reads about the same as a HF carbon pile tester, maybe a little more conservative. I check the voltage and amps calibration on the HF and it was pretty close.