Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Twin cam rocker arm support plates

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 10:11 PM
80Glide
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

My ‘05 Eletraglide had a noise that sounds like yours. I would be running down the highway about 65 and it would clatter terribly. Funny thing is if I backed off the throttle just a bit, not enough to change rpm the noise would go away. Turned out the exhaust pipe connection about 6” behind the rear cylinder was loose. I actually found it by accident one time when I was reinstalling the mufflers after putting on a new rear tire

The following users liked this post:
Harley1004 (07-10-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:32 PM
Harley1004
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 466 Likes on 400 Posts

So, here is what I finally found…..fueling hydraulic cam chain tensioner pad replacements failed with 23,000 miles on them. Damaged oil pump and scored cam support plate. Feuling corporate in Oceanside, California is awaiting my damaged parts to🧐 inspect failure. At this point, they have been very professional and want to check failure on damaged parts. I hope they make good on it. Posted are some pictures.

Hydraulic cylinder pushed completely through tensioner pad, inner cam chain tensioner…..

You can see the difference between the hydraulic cylinders And how the one on the right hand side is pushed through.

Cam support plate scored at rear cam support

Outer diameter of Main oil pump rotor scored from metal shavings.

You can see the witness marks on the inner cam chain riding on the metal of the inner cam chain tensioner which was creating the tapping /rattling noise. I hope this thread is able to help someone in the future. Good riding, and always remember, knowledge is power…..FYI, I’m planning on pulling the oil pan To clean it out before I put it back together.

Last edited by Harley1004; 07-12-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:36 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Harley1004 (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Harley1004
Club Member

Originally Posted by LittleO
It boggles my mind how you can have a machined part not be flat. If it was required to be that way (not flat), HD would have probably made it flat on accident.
Also, what's involved in clearancing the pushrod tubes. I've heard it mentioned but not sure how to do it.
After my 88 to 107 conversion, I have a lot more noise from the rocker cover end. Nothing scary, but just more than before.
I know the bigger cams can do this but wondering if it could be the tubes as well. Currently using stock tubes with SS adjustables.
(Already have Rocker Lockers)
Happy 4th everyone.
Increased the inner diameter of the pushrod tube that goes in the head to .610 inches, with a 1 inch depth into pushrod tube. I used a Dremel tool With a circular sanding disc and WD-40 to use as a cutting oil.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:09 PM
Harley1004
Club Member

Originally Posted by djl
Close enough to zero to forget about.
I meant to say .035 to .040. So, It really does matter.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:47 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,032 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley1004
So, here is what I finally found…..fueling hydraulic cam chain tensioner pad replacements failed with 23,000 miles on them. Damaged oil pump and scored cam support plate. Feuling corporate in Oceanside, California is awaiting my damaged parts to🧐 inspect failure. At this point, they have been very professional and want to check failure on damaged parts. I hope they make good on it. Posted are some pictures.

Hydraulic cylinder pushed completely through tensioner pad, inner cam chain tensioner…..

You can see the difference between the hydraulic cylinders And how the one on the right hand side is pushed through.

Cam support plate scored at rear cam support

Outer diameter of Main oil pump rotor scored from metal shavings.

You can see the witness marks on the inner cam chain riding on the metal of the inner cam chain tensioner which was creating the tapping /rattling noise. I hope this thread is able to help someone in the future. Good riding, and always remember, knowledge is power…..FYI, I’m planning on pulling the oil pan To clean it out before I put it back together.
Wow. That’s bad news. Hopefully they help you out. Following.

Harley1004 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 08:30 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Looking at the chain, how many divots are there like that?

What I've seen on the forums is something similar with stock tensioners. It's my guess that the tension part of the tensioner fails and the chain whips to the point where it beats the plastic part until the outer cup pokes through. Notice that both seem to have micro fracturing where the chain runs similar to the early spring loaded tensioners. It kind a says that the tensioner is is not doing a good job of controlling chain slap. So either the parts used did not fit right, the plastic was crap or something got into the tensioner check valve. Any one caused the failure. My opinion only.. BTW FWIW I like the Zippers tensioner better. I probably have 50000 to 60000 on the ones in my 07 EGC and they still look fine. They use 2 pluggers to control tension and counter bore a small step for the inner plunder so that the oil feed has less leakage.

BTW nothing wrong with stock as long as it works. The main reason why I used the Zippers was the fact that I scored them really cheap so I thought I'd try them.

Harley1004 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 02:20 PM
Harley1004
Club Member

I Researched the zipper tensioners, I saw the zipper dual piston tensioners. I’m just waiting to see at this point, what fueling is going to do and if they’re going to try and help me out. They have been really nice, concerned, and today is the day they’re supposed to call me back with an answer. Fingers crossed! Thanks 🙏🏻

Old 07-21-2021, 12:26 AM
Harley1004
Club Member

Well, I talked with feuling today. It may be that when the engine build was done 23,000 miles ago, that the chains may have had some rough edges. They said it was really hard to tell. They were very helpful, very Concerned, and cut me a fantastic, smoking hot deal on a new cam plate, oil pump, new billet cam chain tensioners, New chains inside and out, and a cam chest gasket set. I am completely sold on feuling Harley Davidson parts, and customer service. Thank you feuling For sticking by this customer, and your great customer support….. knowledge is power…… and knowing that a company like this will stand Behind their product, says it all. I will post pictures and another thank you when my parts arrive next week. Looking forward to getting my old girl back up and running. Burning daylight as we say here in Milwaukee. Our motorsaycle season here is too short…..

Dan89FLSTC (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 08:49 AM
LittleO
Intermediate
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Great to hear, I run my own company and it's so much easier to take care of people when things happen as opposed to fight them in order to save a nickel.
I like the Fueling attitude. I will definitely be buying more stuff from them in the future.
Good luck with the repair brother.

Harley1004 (07-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Twin cam rocker arm support plates