Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Reinstalling used spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 12:06 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,165 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Originally Posted by ajtwin
When using that much, it measures more on my computer screen than on my phone's screen.

Is there a conversion table?
I posted it on a computer, so you should be OK.
Otherwise...

Hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by RHPAW:
ajtwin (06-30-2021), Vec (07-01-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 02:00 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,430 Likes on 5,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Trex
Google? What are these forums for? If it's to tuff to answer a question why bother? I don't know why I bother any more with forums.I don't want to use a torque wrench so how much of a turn after it is seated., if that's too much forget it.
What is your problem?

You were told how to tighten the spark plugs the correct way, and you are pissing and moaning that no one will tell you some shade tree method.

Stop by a lawnmower shop and ask the kid in the back how to install a spark plug.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-30-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:29 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts

Google? What are these forums for? If it's to tuff to answer a question why bother? I don't know why I bother any more with forums.I don't want to use a torque wrench so how much of a turn after it is seated., if that's too much forget it.
Sorry, misunderstood the question. If torquing to spec is too complicated for you then I would recommend 3 complete turns by hand after it's been seated. 2.5 turns if threads have been lubricated.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:29 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
From the manual - Apply LOCTITE ANTI-SEIZE to the spark plug threads. Install and tighten to 12-18 ft-lbs.

Quote from NGK "Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. ... Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs."

The HD manual will take into account the lubricating properties of anti seize. Use HD plugs and you should be good to go!
Or use NGKs and save yourself the headache of using too much antisieze then pissing and moaning about how NGK plugs f'k with the ion sense and only champion plugs will work because of some perceived resistance issue by some here that Delphi says is bs.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:43 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,688 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Or use NGKs and save yourself the headache of using too much antisieze then pissing and moaning about how NGK plugs f'k with the ion sense and only champion plugs will work because of some perceived resistance issue by some here that Delphi says is bs.
Yeah but you didn't tell him how far to turn them once they're finger tight......

Old 07-01-2021, 11:19 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by brakeless
Yeah but you didn't tell him how far to turn them once they're finger tight......
Once they're already used? Snug them up good and another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I go more by feel. It's not rocket science.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:12 PM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly what I expected to hear from a bunch of smug old ladies. This "forum" is more like a glee club for computer geeks that like to mock any questions you judge below you. screw you

Old 07-01-2021, 01:21 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Once they're already used? Snug them up good and another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I go more by feel. It's not rocket science.
Sorry 60Gunner, that was sarcasm aimed at the OP. Thanks for standing up with an answer though. The OP Trex just doesn't want to accept anyone's answer that really trying to help.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:30 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Exactly what I expected to hear from a bunch of smug old ladies. This "forum" is more like a glee club for computer geeks that like to mock any questions you judge below you. screw you
What? The answer to your question? Yeah, you'll get some ribbing but for the most part there were some decent answers. This forum has for the most part some very intelligent and experienced people. Some actually work (or worked) on Harley's for a living. Next I suppose you'll want to know how to "feel" the correct tire pressure.

The following users liked this post:
Harley1004 (07-03-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 01:33 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 2,556 Posts

I have been a member 10 years less than you and pretty much every question regarding tightening anything is given as a torque value and not some random amount of extra degrees after finger tight.

Your question had no answer that would of yielded the correct result.

So screw your spark plugs 180° after finger tight and then come back and tell us how you were broke something and it is all our faults. Or do it 1/8th of a turn with the possible result of having a plug blow out.

Quick Reply: Reinstalling used spark plug