Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

120R Why all the hate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 12:07 PM
Wghussey
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 120R Why all the hate?

Like many, I am considering a 120R for my 14 SGS. I have upgraded the motor with the SE 110" kit, S&S premium lifters, Andrews 57H cam, S&S adjustable push rods, SE race tuner, Rinehart true duals and SE elite breather. Built it myself and it's decent. I did a similar build to my 2010 Wide Glide with the S&S kit, 110", same lifters and push rods, 585 ez start can and V&H 2-1 exhaust. Love that bike!

I just feel like I want more POWER. I am also considering the S&S 124 kit and having Cyclerama bore my cases and set up the lower end including Timken conversion. I know all of the reason why I should just do this.

But, I have been reading all I can about the 120R, there is a lot of hate and conversely, a lot of praises. This article tends to make be believe the 120R is fairly stout, the flywheels look impressive and are not the cast ones that a lot of people state they are.

120R factory build
I would like to hear pros and cons from those with actual experience with the 120R. Please only focus on the 120R, I have had several S&S 96, 113's and know what I am getting with an S&S motor.
Cheers!

Last edited by Wghussey; 06-21-2021 at 01:37 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-21-2021, 09:26 PM
GaryLC
Tourer
Veteran: Army
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

I love my 120R. I assembled mine from new factory parts along with S&S crank, comp cams lifters, Fuel Moto pushrods, and aftermarket valve springs. It was a big increase in power from the original 103 w/ Andrews 57 cams. I didn't spring for a timken conversion. The factory 266E cams are a little soft below 2600 or so rpm with the factory flat top pistons so I changed them out with Screamin Eagle 12 to 1 pistons. Once the compression was bumped the motor really perked up. I don't ride aggressively all that much, but it puts a grin on my face every time I do . No regrets after about 10,000 miles so far.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:52 PM
Jr Harvey
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got mine.

I just sold my SG to buy my dad's SG since he is retired and doesn't ride much anymore. It has the 120r motor with a Trask Turbo! You cannot explain to someone how fast this bike is! It pulls hard in every gear and there is nothing like riding a bike with a turbo. The bike has been drag raced at local drag strips and also daily ridden. It has 28,000 miles on it with no issues so far. The 120r has a reputation for being a hot motor and it definitely runs warmer than my old 103 but then again I never had a gauge on my 103. I'm just going off how much heat I can feel on my leg. So far I have seen a max of 260 oil temp and it's usually at 230 but I have only been riding it for a week. I have been reading a lot lately also and trying to find out if harley put a baffled oil pan on the 120r or not. From what I can find the pick up and the return are both up front. If that is true I would like a pan like the baker with the pick up in the rear and the return in the front for 2 reasons. Should help it cool down a little and when you are on boost the bike pulls so hard the oil can be pushed to the rear of the pan if it's not baffled. We know this because it happened to us on a turboed v rod we raced and cost us a crank. Let me know if you find any information on the oil pan. As far as the motor I would recommend it for sure. Dad rode it for a few years and loved it and I was blessed enough to keep it in our family. Your other option would be adding a turbo to the motor you currently have and you would not be disappointed at all, I can guarantee that!