S&S CNC Ported heads on 88"TC

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 09:36 AM
tdd77
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S CNC Ported heads on 88"TC

Hello,
I have been sitting on a pair of S&S CNC ported heads for over 10yrs as I was planning on doing a 95" build with 570 cams but never followed through.
I am now at the point that the cam tensioner shoes should be replaced and was thinking about upgrading to a 509 cam while it's opened up.

My question is will a stock bore 88" with 509 cams be ok with the CNC ported heads or will those heads on this mild setup be overkill?
I do have a big sucker air cleaner, wild pigs slip on mufflers and a Revolution Performance auto tuner on the bike now.
All I have to do with the tuner is mail it into Revolution Performance for them to download a base map with my combo and it auto adjusts from there. This tuner has been on my bike for over 10yrs and works well.
I understand the best route is gear drive or upgrade to the newer hydraulic cam tensioner setup but I'm on a very tight budget and have been told the aftermarket shoes hold up much better than the oem ones.
Thanks.

Old 06-16-2021, 11:06 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

The 509 cams are a good choice for a stock TC88 but there are better cam choices for ported heads; yeah, overkill. Also we need to know the chamber volume of the S&S heads to provide any meaningful input though.

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (06-17-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 11:43 AM
tdd77
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
The 509 cams are a good choice for a stock TC88 but there are better cam choices for ported heads; yeah, overkill. Also we need to know the chamber volume of the S&S heads to provide any meaningful input though.
I measured them when I got them but since forgot. I will measure the combustion chambers when I get home later and report back.
The bike is a roadking and I do like to get on it quite often but nothing crazy.
I'm sure something with good midrange will do it some good as I'm more highway riding than city/light to light.
I figure if I can at least use these heads with just a cam upgrade that would be great instead of them just sitting on the shelf.
I'll post chamber volume and valve sizes later on.
Thanks!

Old 06-16-2021, 11:55 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by tdd77
I measured them when I got them but since forgot. I will measure the combustion chambers when I get home later and report back.
The bike is a roadking and I do like to get on it quite often but nothing crazy. I'm sure something with good midrange will do it some good as I'm more highway riding than city/light to light. I figure if I can at least use these heads with just a cam upgrade that would be great instead of them just sitting on the shelf. I'll post chamber volume and valve sizes later on. Thanks!
If the chambers are +/-85cc, you are pretty locked in to the 509 cams. Even with a .030" head gasket CCP will be below 180psi and to really wake things up, you need more compression. More compression is available with domed pistons or decking the heads. I understand being on a tight budget but boring cylinders to build a 98" top end opens up cam selection and much more power. If that is out of the question, consider decking the heads about .035" to reduce chamber volume to 80cc. The compression increase will wake things up nicely.

Last edited by djl; 06-16-2021 at 12:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tdd77 (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 11:14 PM
tdd77
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
If the chambers are +/-85cc, you are pretty locked in to the 509 cams. Even with a .030" head gasket CCP will be below 180psi and to really wake things up, you need more compression. More compression is available with domed pistons or decking the heads. I understand being on a tight budget but boring cylinders to build a 98" top end opens up cam selection and much more power. If that is out of the question, consider decking the heads about .035" to reduce chamber volume to 80cc. The compression increase will wake things up nicely.
Ok so I attached a bunch of pictures to make it easier for anyone that might not quite understand.
Correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.
The heads have springs that can handle .575 lift.
I used a little measuring cup that measures in milliliters with some motor oil and filled the chamber and intake runner.
looks like combustion chamber is 80cc.
Intake valve 1.90"
Exhaust valve 1.60
Intake runner 90cc
Maybe I should just check the tensioner shoes and if they're good run it through the summer/fall and squirrel away some cash till winter to do a big bore in the winter.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:55 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by tdd77
Ok so I attached a bunch of pictures to make it easier for anyone that might not quite understand. Correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.
The heads have springs that can handle .575 lift.
I used a little measuring cup that measures in milliliters with some motor oil and filled the chamber and intake runner.
looks like combustion chamber is 80cc.
Intake valve 1.90"
Exhaust valve 1.60
Intake runner 90cc
Maybe I should just check the tensioner shoes and if they're good run it through the summer/fall and squirrel away some cash till winter to do a big bore in the winter.
Kind of a crude way to measure chamber volume; don't understand including the intake runner. Those heads have a PN so call S&S to verify chamber volume. Your thought about checking tensioner shoes, replacing them with CYCOs if necessary (which I would do anyway) and running until funds are available for bigger bore is wise. With more displacement, better cam choices and those heads, you could build a runner.