Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Andrew 26g Cam shaft suprise

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 07:38 AM
Smiley13
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Andrew 26g Cam shaft suprise

Ok I am in the process of installing a set of 26g cams. I am at a crossroads in how to press the gear and the key onto the cam? The kit came with a disassembled gear. I have a press and the Jim’s camshaft remover/installer.
any tips or recommended videos of pressing the gear and alignment of key would be appreciated. If I had of known better I would have ask or bought the cams with installed gears or they may all come this way out of the box.

I know in the FMH video of changing chain to gears the tech stat s that this process is a big deal but does not go into the process or tools needed to perform this.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Old 06-13-2021, 07:58 AM
Smiley13
6th Gear
Default Andrew 26g

This is my setup

Old 06-13-2021, 08:14 AM
Smiley13
6th Gear
Default Andrews 26g

Here is what I’m thinking I would try. Does this look like it will work? Concerned about key not pressing in once I start?

1st try setup maybe

Old 06-13-2021, 08:45 AM
PureHybrid
Road Master
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

I like to heat things up in the toaster oven. 250F for half hour, can throw the cam in the freezer too

The following users liked this post:
Smiley13 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:36 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Oven/freezer is a good idea but get the key firmly seated in the slot before pressing. Align the key and slot and tap the gear just enough to get it started, set up in the press and press. Not a difficult task.

Smiley13 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:49 AM
Smiley13
6th Gear

Originally Posted by djl
Oven/freezer is a good idea but get the key firmly seated in the slot before pressing. Align the key and slot and tap the gear just enough to get it started, set up in the press and press. Not a difficult task.
so in your opinion the Jim’s tool will work to keep it aligned when I press it?

Old 06-13-2021, 11:00 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Smiley13
so in your opinion the Jim’s tool will work to keep it aligned when I press it?
I have never used the Jim's tool; always just pressed directly on the nose of the cam. If the key is firmly seated in the slot in the nose of the cam and aligned with the gear slot and the gear tapped on to get the process started, the gear should press on without issue, particularly if the cam was "frozen" and the gear heated. In your pictures, it doesn't look to me like the woodruff key is firmly seated in the cam slot.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:07 AM
Smiley13
6th Gear
Default Reply

Originally Posted by djl
I have never used the Jim's tool; always just pressed directly on the nose of the cam. If the key is firmly seated in the slot in the nose of the cam and aligned with the gear slot and the gear tapped on to get the process started, the gear should press on without issue, particularly if the cam was "frozen" and the gear heated. In your pictures, it doesn't look to me like the woodruff key is firmly seated in the cam slot.
thank you that’s helpful.

And your right I just have it set up and was researching prior to pressing don’t want any surprises I’m not aware of.

so your saying I could just place the gear on blocks each side the press directly on camshaft after I get it aligned and tap key in prior to pressing?

Old 06-13-2021, 01:32 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Smiley13
thank you that’s helpful. And your right I just have it set up and was researching prior to pressing don’t want any surprises I’m not aware of.
so your saying I could just place the gear on blocks each side the press directly on camshaft after I get it aligned and tap key in prior to pressing?
I make it a habit not to tell anyone how to do things but will tell members how I have done things. If I was pressing the gear on, I would to it as you describe but I am sure others might not. Good luck with whatever method you use. Patience is the key; take your time and pay attention.

Smiley13 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 01:38 PM
Smiley13
6th Gear
Default Thanks

Thank you but we all have to learn sometime if we want to wrench on our own ****. My choice to take advice or not. I really appreciate your responses.

“All men are cremated equally”
Boozefighter Smiley.

Quick Reply: Andrew 26g Cam shaft suprise