Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Motor stopped, sudden oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 10:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

I'd bet that your experience was bit scarier than mine. I've been riding with my hand on the clutch for the last 5K. You had a lot more to do. Me? All I had to do was pull in the clutch and coast to a stop. Mine was no more than an aborted take-off.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:48 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

Max, I've had different issues in the air from a clogged injector on one cylinder (elevating EGT on that cylinder) then completely dropping. Fortunately that eliminated the need for a precautionary landing and I was able to continue on with one dead dead jug. I've also had smoke in the cockpit due to an electrical issue right after takeoff. After evacuating smoke and shutting down the main electrical bus I continued in daytime clear WX; fortunately piston A/C engines have magnetos and run just fine ... like a lawn mower or a chain saw.

With an engine failure on a twin, it's IDENTIFY the failed engine - dead rudder foot = dead engine; VERIFY, which engine is failed by gently reducing throttle on suspected side to verify no change; FEATHER the propeller on the failed engine to reduce drag on that side, and RAISE THE DEAD means slightly raise the wing (with ailerons) of the dead or failed side. Even though I was low and slow, I was light and the aircraft flew reasonably well on one engine. It does take a good bit of rudder to correct for asymmetric thrust and the rudder correction has to be taken out in parallel with reducing power to land.

When something happens in an airplane, suddenly it's like the fighter pilots say, your helmet is on fire, but there's an old WWII aviators' advice to "Wind your watch." That means stop and take pause before acting. Having and taking the time to evaluate, reason and use check lists is smart play. You, OTOH, had to suddenly pull in the clutch to separate the locked engine from your rear wheel lest you skid and slide. You didn't have that option and acting decisively and immediately saved your day ... and your skin.