Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Need help. Sporadic engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 10:01 PM
Travelnsoldier
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need help. Sporadic engine problem

Hey guys and ladys, I'm looking for some help or input on my 2003 Road King Classic. It's all stock 88 engine fuel injection. I'm have a sporadic problem comes and goes when ever it wants. Starts, drives and Idols fine. Then out of the blue it just loses throttle, like I can roll the throttle back but nothing happens. There is no engine light on while this is happening. I've replaced the throttle position sensor. Still same thing. After I pull over and turn the bike off, wait one to two minutes it's fine again, and who knows when it will do it again. I'm at a loss. And don't want to drop $500 in a new ecm. Just for it to do the same thing. Thanks for any input you can give.

Last edited by Travelnsoldier; 05-23-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:15 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Take to an indy shop and let them check it out. BTW I doubt you'll need a new ecm.

The following users liked this post:
Travelnsoldier (05-23-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 01:03 AM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 561 Likes on 392 Posts

Monday morning guess; Fuel pump or pin hole in fuel pickup line in the tank. Being a 2003, have it check out and for sure the cam tensioners.

Travelnsoldier (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 05:56 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelnsoldier
Hey guys and ladys, I'm looking for some help or input on my 2003 Road King Classic. It's all stock 88 engine fuel injection. I'm have a sporadic problem comes and goes when ever it wants. Starts, drives and Idols fine. Then out of the blue it just loses throttle, like I can roll the throttle back but nothing happens. There is no engine light on while this is happening. I've replaced the throttle position sensor. Still same thing. After I pull over and turn the bike off, wait one to two minutes it's fine again, and who knows when it will do it again. I'm at a loss. And don't want to drop $500 in a new ecm. Just for it to do the same thing. Thanks for any input you can give.
Congrats on your first post but how did you make the leap to replacing the ECM??

Old 05-24-2021, 06:12 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Have you cleaned the IAC? That could contribute to your issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by QC:
Buster (05-25-2021), Travelnsoldier (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 07:16 AM
Travelnsoldier
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by roussfam
Congrats on your first post but how did you make the leap to replacing the ECM??
Thank you. I'm only leaning towards the ECM because I've been trouble shooting this problem for months and the strange reason after shutting the bike off and starting it seems to fix it at the time. I've taken apart and cleaned most all connections with cleaner and dielectric grease. Cam tensioner has been replaced with the upgraded hydraulic one as well. Also makes no difference weather the tank is full of fuel or half of tank, but I'll take a look at the fuel system for a possible problem.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:19 AM
Travelnsoldier
3rd Gear

[QUOTE=QC;19949090]Have you cleaned the IAC? That could contribute to your issues.[/QUOT

Yes , yesterday I cleaned it ran great thought that was it then just when I'm about to pull back into the driveway, it started doing the same exact thing.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:19 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

First thing , clean your iac , remove your air cleaner and place a rag inside your tb , look at about the 12 o'clock position , you'll see a small hole . With a can of tb cleaner , not carb cleaner , shoot short blast into it , at the same time cycling the iac . With the run / stop switch in the run position , cycle the ignition switch , you'll notice the pintle opening and closing , keep shooting small blasts a tb cleaner into it until clean , then give your butterfly and seat a good cleaning .

Hopefully that fixes your issue , if not , like stated , you may have to replace your fuel lines inside the tank . If you do , might as well do everything accept pump , filter , hoses and fuel regulator . You could get the fuel pressure tested before replacing parts , but for an 03 , it's prob wise to do it anyway .

It could be other things as well , but start there and post back your results .

Welcome to the forum !

Old 05-24-2021, 07:34 AM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 561 Likes on 392 Posts

What others said, but I'll add one thing. When you turn the ignition key on, do you wait for the check engine light to go off before hitting the starter? Your computer is going through some self check at that time. If I don't wait, mine old girl doesn't run quite right, blinkers do some crazy flashing. Just a thought.

Edit;
Let me add to that. Pull your main fuse for maybe 10 minutes. Doing that resets my blinkers and all is well after that.

Last edited by robarosa; 05-24-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:12 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

If the shut down is presenting after the motor is up to operating temps, could be the main circuit breaker (MCB). The MOCO issued a safety recall back in the day, forget what year, because the 40A MCB would fail when it got hot and shut down the bike while riding. Check the MCB and if it is a 40A, replace it with a 50A which was the MOCO fix. Being an '03, might be late enough to have a 50A but worth a look.

Quick Reply: Need help. Sporadic engine problem