Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

primary noise same deluxe more problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 07:54 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default primary noise same deluxe more problems...

Man the hits just keep coming with this thing. I took it out the other day To try running with the lights on and see if the electrical issue I was havingcomes back Or if the new battery did the trick while I wait for the cables For my multi meter to do the parasitic drain test And as soon as I started the bike I heard the clunking in the bottom end and take it out anyway and about 15 minutes later As I was slowing downI heard a weird whirring noise And could actually feel the bike Reacting to the noise like it was engine braking. sounded like another gear engaged. I think it quit when I pulled the clutch but it may have just quit about the same time. I was panicking a little praying it didn't lock up and lay down in traffic so specifics are fuzzy. I think im going to try open up the primary tomorrow if I feel better. the mental list of things to try to check out so far is the obvious
compensator
compensator nut
ipb.
the thought also crossed my mind that maybe the starter was engaging on its own and the two problems were related but I remember hearing the clunk at start and shut down that people show in the compensator problem videos.

hoping to see what I can figure out before my appointment with the Indy may 18th, so I have an idea what to expect and can give him a heads up if I'm going to need him to do more than hunt down my electrical problem or or possibly put that on the backburner until we figure this out since it seems more serious.

any tips or suggestions? I've never been behind the primary cover before. I do have the Harley manual and basic non bike specific tools

bike is a 05 deluxe with a mystery motor that is claimed to be a tc88 built to 103 18k mi less than 1000 of those from me

Old 04-21-2021, 07:57 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer

previous thread that starts out trying to figure out what was done to motor and evolves into trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem that has been an ongoing nightmare

Old 04-22-2021, 08:01 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
previous thread that starts out trying to figure out what was done to motor and evolves into trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem that has been an ongoing nightmare
Might be time to set it out overnight & hope someone else wants it more than you?

Old 04-22-2021, 02:35 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,873 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Don't forget the clutch hub bearing
If you have a way to pick the bike up and get the wheels off the ground, roll the back wheel and see if you get a noise or binding.

Probably not it but "As I was slowing downI heard a weird whirring noise And could actually feel the bike Reacting to the noise" a past experience made me think of a wheel bearing problem on one of my bikes.

Hd sure had problems with the compensators like you mentioned. Quite a few down here have had to fix them including Me
Good Luck WP

Last edited by WP50; 04-22-2021 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ric_mackie (05-12-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 10:47 AM
The Outlaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hammz
Might be time to set it out overnight & hope someone else wants it more than you?
that would probably be the smartest thing to do.

Originally Posted by WP50
Don't forget the clutch hub bearing
If you have a way to pick the bike up and get the wheels off the ground, roll the back wheel and see if you get a noise or binding.

Probably not it but "As I was slowing downI heard a weird whirring noise And could actually feel the bike Reacting to the noise" a past experience made me think of a wheel bearing problem on one of my bikes.

Hd sure had problems with the compensators like you mentioned. Quite a few down here have had to fix them including Me
Good Luck WP
I'll check that when I get a jacked up I was hoping to do it yesterday but I didn't realize how much work it would be move all of the woodworking equipment to make space to bring the bike in. That ate up my whole day off. now it is a little cramped but at least it is inside

Old 04-24-2021, 05:04 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Get rid of that pos compensator. Go with the Darkhorse man o war or a solid sprocket.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:59 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Get rid of that pos compensator. Go with the Darkhorse man o war or a solid sprocket.
The darkhorse won't fit and there is nothing wrong with the stock one. They will eventually wear out but it takes a good sized motor (116ci hi comp or larger ) and 50K to do it

Old 04-24-2021, 09:04 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

The comp nut could be loose or the tensioner shoe cracked and fell off. I'm not a fan of the L shaped tensioner but did manage to put 80000 miles on one.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 12:14 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer

I've been sick lately so I'm just now getting to start draining the primary and I've already got a bad feeling about this.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:30 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer

The deeper I dig the scarier this gets. I now have two big pieces of mystery metal that I have no idea what they came from. These were laying inside the primary

Quick Reply: primary noise same deluxe more problems...