Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Cam Chest Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 04:45 PM
RDFDJD
Cruiser
Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Cam Chest Questions

I just bought the Feuling 525 cams, new push rods, and lifters. I have been researching and trying to figure out if it is really necessary for me to change out the camplate and oil pump? This past summer my wife and I were riding around town and had to stop for a train crossing. My engine temps exceeded 260 and since then I have been paranoid about it. Sometimes the temps are past 240. I replaced the oil cooler with a Jagg and use a ProFlow oil filter now. This decreased my engine temps a little but still not where I want or think they should be. Researching more I read that changing the oil pump with a better than stock will help reduce oil temps but is it really necessary? Also, does it matter if it is Feuling, S&S, or SE?

Old 04-20-2021, 05:31 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

As long as the pump and plate are within service limits then they're more than adequate. Check the the inside of the pump for excessive grooves and the cam plate bushing for grooves too...usually caused by excessive runout but as long as they look good keep them. Don't discount the amount of heat a good tune can get rid of also. If you find you need to replace them the s&s sure is pretty lol...shame to put a cover over it. I put the S.E. in mine but my pump was out of spec and the bushing in the plate was too, not to mention I had a new crank...just couldn't put that old stuff on that nice new crank. Oh and don't forget new inner cam bearings...koyo brand

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 05:53 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

^What he said ^ Probably one of the most common things people waste $$$ on is replacing a perfectly capable oil pump and cam plate.
Seriously? Where did you hear replacing the pump will decrease oil temps? If you really want to decrease temps, spend that money on a good tuner. Another good place for your money is an external breather kit if you haven't done that.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 04-20-2021 at 06:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 60Gunner:
Campy Roadie (04-20-2021), micalaut (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 06:48 PM
RDFDJD
Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure everything looks good when it's all apart. I read the higher pressure from the oil pump moves more oil thus reducing the heat. I don't know mechanics I'm just good at replacing stuff LOL..I got the cam kit from Fuelmoto. They had the best price for everything I needed.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Originally Posted by RDFDJD
Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure everything looks good when it's all apart. I read the higher pressure from the oil pump moves more oil thus reducing the heat. I don't know mechanics I'm just good at replacing stuff LOL..I got the cam kit from Fuelmoto. They had the best price for everything I needed.
If that were the case, wouldn't the motor oil be hotter? More oil through the motor, if it were cooling better, should make the oil hotter. The motor generates a fixed amount of heat. The heat has to go someplace. The big issue with the after market oil pumps making the oil cooler is better scavenging. There is less oil sitting in the motor to get hot.

Nothing wrong with the stock pump. If you want cooler oil, add an oil cooler.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:05 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 3,643 Posts

If your oil temp exceeded 260* then you'll need a cooler but if the engine temp reached 260* then you really don't have anything to worry about.. It's an air cooled motor...

Old 04-22-2021, 08:09 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

I just bought the Feuling 525 cams, new push rods, and lifters. I have been researching and trying to figure out if it is really necessary for me to change out the camplate and oil pump? This past summer my wife and I were riding around town and had to stop for a train crossing. My engine temps exceeded 260 and since then I have been paranoid about it. Sometimes the temps are past 240. I replaced the oil cooler with a Jagg and use a ProFlow oil filter now. This decreased my engine temps a little but still not where I want or think they should be. Researching more I read that changing the oil pump with a better than stock will help reduce oil temps but is it really necessary? Also, does it matter if it is Feuling, S&S, or SE?
Head temp or oil temp? Two bikes in signature; which one is heating up?

Old 04-22-2021, 08:57 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 2,874 Posts

This past summer my wife and I were riding around town and had to stop for a train crossing.
Shut the engine off...

The following 4 users liked this post by eighteight:
Campy Roadie (04-22-2021), InvertedMenace (04-25-2021), Jackie Paper (04-22-2021), Max Headflow (04-22-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 01:40 PM
SoCaRider
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 152 Posts

2019 FXDR 114 S&S 475c riding in 85* weather the other day including stoping at lights I was surprised to only be @ about 260* and I was riding hard.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:11 PM
RDFDJD
Cruiser

I finished the installation of the cams, lifters and pushrods today. While I had it apart I changed the tensioners too. The "oil" temp typically was extremely high as I stated in my original post. I took the advice here and left everything else alone. Checking the oil temp after running it around town for awhile I never exceeded 200 degrees. I appreciate the feedback you guys gave me. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cam Chest Questions