INstalling Hybrid Cam Plate on 03 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 07:22 PM
crazytown
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 551 Likes on 321 Posts
Default INstalling Hybrid Cam Plate on 03 RKC

I currently have 93,764 on the clock, and have been having some sumping problems at high rpms. I was near the back on our last club ride, and the poor **** behind me got some oil spray when we were pushing 85-90mph. I resigned myself that it was time to get back in to the cam chest and check the oil pump and such out. I was last in there May 2019 with 78,998 miles (14,766 miles ago). I replaced the tensioner pads then with some cyco shoes, and put a new chain guide on. Everything else looked good.

I decided to just go ahead and order the hybrid camp plate with the new oil pump. It certainly wouldn't hurt, and the new oil pump may just solve the high rpm sumping issues. A couple of tensioner shoe changes ago, I measured the crank runout, and it is just on the cusp of too much for gear drive cams.

Well, this time it is kind of s**t show. The outside tensioner is gone. Like GONE. The chain guide is broken and chewed up. This is only after just over 14.5k miles.

**Please look at the camshafts in the last picture for this post. Give me your opinion, good or bad. I'm thinking bad.**

A bunch of chewed up s**t stuffed into the pressure relief tube.

Various chewed up and broken pieces I pulled out.

The inside tensioner pad after 14.5k miles.

This is what I would like folks to weigh in on. The surface on the rear camshaft is pretty rough. I honestly don't remember what it looked like the last time I changed the tensioner pads and had this out of the cam chest. I'm pretty damn sure it didn't look like this though, or I would have noticed. I'm thinking it's time for new cams.

Last edited by crazytown; 03-26-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:25 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Baking my camplate/camshafts to get the camshafts off. 325F for 20 minutes or so. Nice and toasty.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:15 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 614 Posts

What times dinner?

The following 2 users liked this post by Weeboy1:
crazytown (03-26-2021), slippin_jimmy (04-13-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 08:18 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Rear cam is shot.

The following users liked this post:
crazytown (03-29-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 10:08 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Rear cam is shot.
That's pretty much what I decided. Even if it wasn't if would bug me every damn day.

I prepared the budget officer for another purchase.

slippin_jimmy (04-13-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 12:32 AM
chief08
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 107 Posts

are those the cyco shoes with 14000 miles on them and there that destroyed. that's the first feed back I have read on cyco shoes that every one raves about there no better then oem shoes. actually worse them oem shoes. I would not use cyco shoes again.

crazytown (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 10:48 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by chief08
are those the cyco shoes with 14000 miles on them and there that destroyed. that's the first feed back I have read on cyco shoes that every one raves about there no better then oem shoes. actually worse them oem shoes. I would not use cyco shoes again.
I don't think you can lay this failure off on the CYCO tensioner pads when you consider the extent of the damage. The hardened surface material gone from the rear cam is floating around, inner cam bearing is also shot and, not pointing fingers and no disrespect to the the OP, but could the OP have missed something in the install of the CYCOs and the new chain guide? Are we sure that the tensioner pads are CYCOs? There are companies selling CYCO look alikes as CYCOs which CYCO has confirmed recently to a member of this forum. There is no history of similar failures with CYCO tensioner pads so don't be so quick to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Also, not sure the motor was sumping. At near 94K miles ring seal is probably lacking and the unfortunate soul that got sprayed was most likely catching high rpm blow by.

crazytown (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,016 Likes on 4,064 Posts

The cycos still use the stock arm and spring, If riveted incorrectly or done more then once, the arm may have failed and everything got chewed up in the process. As far as sumping goes. look at the oil pickup. It's plugged with crap. As DLJ says you'll want to replace the inner cam bearings. You'll also want to remove and clean the oil pan.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
crazytown (03-27-2021), s-glide76 (04-14-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 02:03 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The cycos still use the stock arm and spring, If riveted incorrectly or done more then once, the arm may have failed and everything got chewed up in the process. As far as sumping goes. look at the oil pickup. It's plugged with crap. As DLJ says you'll want to replace the inner cam bearings. You'll also want to remove and clean the oil pan.
10-4 on all that. For what it's worth, the 'cyco' pads were ordered from http://twincamtensioner.com/, which as far as I know is a legitimate source. I'm certainly not going to discount user installation error on my part. It wouldn't be the first time for sure.

I ordered new cams; S&S 509c. I think I will just replace both inner bearings while I'm in there. Why not?

Old 03-27-2021, 05:39 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by crazytown
10-4 on all that. For what it's worth, the 'cyco' pads were ordered from http://twincamtensioner.com/, which as far as I know is a legitimate source. I'm certainly not going to discount user installation error on my part. It wouldn't be the first time for sure. I ordered new cams; S&S 509c. I think I will just replace both inner bearings while I'm in there. Why not?
Outer bearings as well and I would clean that inner chain reeeaaaal good. Check that the pressure relief valv/piston is moving freely in the bore; always a good idea with a new cam plate. I think you will like the 509; IMHO best bolt in for a TC88.

crazytown (03-27-2021)

Quick Reply: INstalling Hybrid Cam Plate on 03 RKC